xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ccb_v2

Violent Games 'affect Behaviour' Witchhunt Time

I think its all in the gamers head. If he/she thinks the game will make him/her violent then it probably will. If the gamer understands its just a game then he/she wont be affected by the game but rather be affected by real life events.That being said it is very different to be addicted to a game. Its easy to get 'addicted' to a game which is really what happens! Some games get played way too much. Its the same as all things in life... Everything in moderation. If you do anything more than your suppost to then it will begin to affect you. But that goes for everything, no matter if its too much work, too much games or too much driving.So basically I think as long as you keep things in moderation then you wont have a problem being influenced by the games you play!

...Some die, such as a chinese girl, from playing too much, and they basically end up killing all their brain cells or something (I don't know how the death is caused).

I believe (or heard from a friend who heard from a friend) that the girl killed herself because her online friends abandoned her... or unallied.... or whatever... but I think that could have happened to any user of AIM in the same way...

either or, and I don't really want to flip back to quote - but I agree with the idea that it is more generally people who are violent in nature take to the games more eagerly... and their expressions of violence may have come about one way or another... the games are in fact, just a scapegoat for the fact that kids are neglected these days in this corporate world of electronic babysitters... If you want to burn a witch, look at the parents... even the lazy stoner who majored in psychology because it's easy would know that neglect, especially before the age of 7 (a group that is becoming increasingly more aware of both video games and computers) will lead to psychological problems all the way through middle age (which I believe is also increasing...)...

Although, following through with the whole addiction to violence and video games or music... I believe it's all mumbo jumbo...

It's like calling Marijuana a gateway drug... In my experience with the drug culture throughout adolescence - marijuana was just easier to get... than alcohol even... The kids just wanted to get smeared any way they could...
They were going that way anyhow... Ain't no one peer pressured into a one way trip to psychadelic hell... In most cases it seemed to stem from either an addictive personality or depression... (In fact, the terms bogart, and "geeze there's a lot of heads, let's toast this outside" come to mind)

I fell the same goes for music and games... violent people are drawn in by such games... and although I love GTA (I remember when it was an overhead view...)... I'd rather not even confront a person with whom I'm in conflict... But I won't hesitate to triangle my way out of car, kill a cop or two, jump back in, and pick up a h00ker for health and then kill her to get my money back... (in the game)...

I mean, I could blame my pill addiction on Pac-Man... (That Richard D. James aka Power-Pill - Pacman EP actually made me think of that... heh...), the fact I love Amanita Mushrooms on Mario, etc - but the reason we were playing it in the first place was because we were too high to actually do something constructive...

The Marilyn Manson and Slipknot crowds... you know those kids were outsiders repressing feelings of hatred anyways... They were gonna pop because they were losers... Look at the columbine kids... They were outkasts, and they merely listened to Marylin Manson because he was singing the same song... (I think it was "Get Your Gunn" [with 2 n's] anyways - but not like I know what that means...)

Yeah, I went all over the place, but I think the fact remains... My buddies who play endless amounts of games have this insanity hand-eye coordination with which I can't even begin to compete... I really wish I had a good reference for that, but I swear I've read it in Discover (or one of those other trendy science magazines...).

All in all, if people really have a problem with it, tough... Killing witches is only going to make martyrs... Why do you think they kept the death of Osama Bin Laden under wraps... (still?) Why do underage kids in the United Puritan States of America think drinking and smoking is so cool...? It's illegal... That's why... Banning a game or music is going to attract a subculture of the same people hacking under the light of the moon to provide the same games... And the same kids will find them...

Conclusion: I don't even remember... My brain cells were eaten by the drugs I ate when I played all those video games...

Video games do affect behavior. Grand Theft Auto might motivate a person to go on the streets with a katana and slice someone's head off. But when they get wanted, what are they gonna do when they can't type in their "Lower wanted level" cheat?Many of the people out there are taking video games seriously.Such as WoW. Kids are taking WoW WAY too seriously now.Like when that kid in China commited suicide because he could not join the faction he desired. Or when that kid who was trying to reenact a scene from WoW because jumping off a buildingthinking that his "Colossal Parachute" would break his fall.Aside from WoW, violent games are affecting many people.Like Counter-Strike. Someone might go to a store and buy a Desert Eagle and shoot someonein the head, thinking that he will hear the "BOOM HEADSHOT!" sound when he kills them.Or maybe they might stab someone in the back out of pleasure.So games are really starting to affect all of us.