xisto Community
expert77

Window Vista bete

Well, I'm testing it now, and it's pretty stable actually.

1064335547[/snapback]

one my friend said to me before, that he's tested windows vista, and that it works fine... but im doubt it. After all, it's still microsoft. :D

I have the newest most stable versions of vista heres a review also

After several years of waiting to see the successor to Windows XP, code-named Longhorn, we've finally gotten our hands on Beta 1 of what now will be called Windows Vista.

SLIDESHOW (40) 

Slideshow | All Shots

This version, aimed at developers and IT shops, lacks many features that the final Windows Vista, still over a year away, will have. But it has all the basic foundations of the OS and displays Microsoft's new emphasis on making a system that will be more stable and secure, as well as giving users greater clarity as regards their files. This "clear vision" is what Microsoft says is reflected in the Vista name.

The early version of Beta 1 we tested shows a focus on the basic structure of the operating systemâin particular, a lot of changes to the things that users don't think about that often but that turn out to be very important. When Chris Jones, VP of the Windows Client team at Microsoft, discusses the team's goals, he talks first about efficiency and reducing the number of defects; then about increasing the "confidence" people have in their PCs (including better security); and lastly about improvements to user experiences, such as changes to the user interface.

These goals are evident in Beta 1. The device driver model has been reengineered for increased simplicity and security, so hardware that takes advantage of it should be more stable. (You'll still be able to run XP devices for compatibility, though).

Privilegesâor which programs, services, and users get to do whatâhave been rethought. You'll see a big push toward User Account Protection, meaning that users normally won't run with Administrator privilegesâor need to. In fact, administrators will also run with limited privileges most of the time. In addition, Microsoft promises, Internet Explorer 7 in Vista will run in an even more locked-down state, although that feature of IE isn't in Beta 1. All these things mean that spyware will no longer find such easy entry.

The overall goal here is an environment that offers better security and has fewer reboots, crashes, and hangs. It's too early to know how successful these initiatives will beâno OS is completely secureâbut they clearly show an evolution in priorities from Windows XP.

On top of this deep change are new features that are much more visible to users. The OS has a new Search panel that canâquickly, finally!âsearch files by author, date, keyword, file types, text within, or other kinds of metadata. Of course, there are plenty of search utilities, but the goal here is to make the Search panel of the operating system accessible by any application. And some innovations, such as "virtual folders," could change the way we organize our information.

The full user interface isn't finished, but Beta 1 shows the "Aero" interface, which looks more modern than the traditional XP interface and takes advantage of the new "Avalon" graphics. Among the cool new options here is one that lets you see your documents stacked together and to see thumbnails of your documents. PCs that have the appropriate graphics hardware will gain visual effects that simplify use; many of these involve transparent icons in a system known as "Glass."

Internet Explorer 7 (also to be available for XP) is improved, with tabbed browsing, RSS tools, and a new display engine. Several other enhancements to IE 7, such as antiphishing tools, are expected later.

Other new elements in the OS include mainstream support for 64-bit computing (though we tested the 32-bit version), a number of new connectivity and mobility options, and tools designed to help large organizations deploy and manage Vista with greater ease.

It's too early to see how Vista measures up against competitive operating systems, but a lot of the more visible features are familiar. Apple's Mac OS X "Tiger" already has many 3D visual effects and a search interface, Spotlight. Unix has had usable limited-rights accounts for years. But Vista's biggest competitor probably isn't any of theseâit's previous versions of Windows. Microsoft needs to make these features more mainstream and make them attractive to developers, while still retaining compatibility with previous versions.

At present, many of the new user "experiences" are absent, awaiting Beta 2. These include a new Windows Media Player, new photo-management features, updates to the Media Center and Tablet PC software, and a lot of the final visual look. Beta 2 is expected around the beginning of next year and will likely be available to a broader group of users. Windows Vista is expected to ship in the second half of next year, and there's clearly a lot of work that needs to be done between now and then.

For now, we'll take you on a tour of Windows Vista Beta 1 and show you some details of Vista's fundamentalsâuser interface, security features, IE 7, and more. You'll find an OS that seems familiar on the surface but has a lot of changes inside.âContinue Reading

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1840730,00.asp

-----You must use the QUOTE tags when you put quotes in your posts-----szupie

Notice from miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG:
You're getting off with a verbal warning only this time. As a result of not putting the copied content in QUOTE tags, I'd to reduce Hosting credits worth 17 days. Next time onwards, such an action will be treated as plagiarism/spam.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

I'm interested in seeing what Windows comes up with for this new OS ... but like I did with all their other new releases, I'm waiting for the bug fixes to come out. I'd rather have a new OS a year or more later than its initial release date than have all the stupid problems that should have been fixed before it goes on the shelves.I wonder if my university will offer discounted copies of Vista? Hmm. I'll have to check into that.

this is a little off topic, but when you are beta testing an OS, always keep a stable backup OS that you don't tamper with, that can restore the one that might have been trashed. Beleive me, it's forth it(as being said from this partcular laptop's 63rd installation of Windows XP).

after windows xp

i dont see how i can ever trust windows again to make an OS period

i'm sure that its new "interface" will look pretty cool, but yea, there goes a huge amount of wasted valuable resources right there, resources which can be better used by my video games and software

i also have my total doubts about IE7
ive gotten so much spam/adware/spyware through IE, and then switchin to firefox and all my problems were solved, i dont think ill ever even bother with IE again

and i bet they are going to create some huge security issues trying to give their website (like windows update) exclusive access to ur computer through IE

i really hope gaming industries start focusing on making games more compatible with linux, i have never run linux but alot of my friends do and they say that is one of the only disadvantages, that linux has trouble running some games that were designed just for windows

You'll see a big push toward User Account Protection, meaning that users normally won't run with Administrator privilegesâor need to. In fact, administrators will also run with limited privileges most of the time.

and that right there scares me, if im an administrator on my computer im not ganan want any limits on my account i mean seriously, if they need to go that far in lengths to keep people from screwing up their own computers then wow, thats just kind of pathetic

that is true, Linux does lack those. Another problem is that it also lacks hardware drivers (scanner, Chinese writing pad and etc.). Also, there's current problems for game developers to use the latest sound system, ALSA instead of the old and crappy OSS driver. This really introduce problems for new Linux users and some battle-harden ones too.xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

can some tell if the windows vista beta is relesed or not and where can i get it.Official version of Windows Vista is not yet appeared, but I advise you to download a torrent engine (like uTorrent or Bittorrent) and download it with torrent. Any version of cracked or pirated software, music and video is available via the torrent system. I don't know but is it a good idea to install a beta1 operating system on your computer?

can some tell if the windows vista beta is relesed or not and where can i get it.Official version of Windows Vista is not yet appeared, but I advise you to download a torrent engine (like uTorrent or Bittorrent) and download it with torrent. Any version of cracked or pirated software, music and video is available via the torrent system. I don't know but is it a good idea to install a beta1 operating system on your computer?----Windows Vista is not out yet (unless your a beta tester).I don't know how you cannot trust windows when they are the creators of technolagy...I Can't wait to add this OS to my computer :D

ummm... no, they are not creators of technology... marketers of technology, but not creators, since they can't really program. The only things they've invented are: M$ Bob, M$ Paperclip and BSoD.Also, Xisto doesn't allow or endorse downloading software illegally via BitTorrent networks.xboxrulz