xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Logan Deathbringer

ATI Video Card Problem! Need Help

Ok here is my problem. On a somewhat regular basis I get the following error listed on the BSOD:ati2dvag.dll stopped responding if this is the first time this has happened restart your computer, if not then contact the hardware manufacturer.Well I thought it might just be a driver error so I updated my ATI drivers to the latest but the problem still ensued. I then went to the web and found that others have had this problem and corrected it by changing the CPU to AGP controller to a PCI to PCI bridge, I did this but found that I had a major hit to my ingame video proformance.I was wondering if anyone around Xisto might now a better way to correct this problem or could explain to me what might be causing it. I have tried moving my PCI cards around and playing with my IRQ settings but to no avail. I am currently running "Omega" drivers for my Radeon 9250 card and that seems to help but I still get crashed everynow and then.Oh one more thing. It doesn't matter if I'm in game or just surfing the web I get the same error message. The system seems to freeze up no mouse movement then either the system recovers, I get the BSOD showing the ati2dvag.dll error, or I have to completely restart with no error showing and the screen is black and the amber light idicating no signal to monitor is on.Well thats it if you would like more info please let me know.MSI Radeon 9250 (running in 4x AGP slot)WinXP Home SP2

I've had the same error a long time ago when I used Mercury (it's a Java based messenger). It helped when I updated to the newest driver, but sometimes it would still give the error, only after a format it resolved the problem :D
What you might try is to uninstall your current ATI driver and then run this: https://www.drivercleaner.net/
This litlle program will remove any leftovers from older drivers. Then just install the latest ATI drivers.

Btw, when does this happen? When you play games or just while browsing. Maybe it's just your card that's overheating???

well downloaded the driver cleaner program and totally cleaned out all the ATI stuff that has been loaded onto the computer since I got this card and all the Nvidia stuff from the previous card...downloaded an old set of ATI drivers Cat 5.10 since I've had nothing but problems with the Catalyst Control Center not wanting to run except on the Administrator account, and never being able to work around that problem and will see how things work now.Thanks for the help, and as far as the overheating thing goes, the card doesn't have a fan on it and a funky looking heatsink in the shape of the card manufacturers initials (MSI) so it could very well be the card overheating. Although I personally don't think it is since the lockups occure when I'm playing games, just surfing the net, or working in a word processor.The lockups happen at irregular intervals and are not application/task specific.Once again thanks for the help and will post in the next day or 2 in reguards to whether or not there are anymore lockup. So far I'm 2 hours without a problem.Logan

Ok I've gott'n a new vid card (aslo ATI) and have installed it after using the Driver Cleaner program to clear out the old drivers and am still having the same problem so I'm starting to think that there is something wrong with my Motherboard or that the windows OS is very corrupted, so I'm gonna fdisk my system and start fresh. I hope that works..lol..really can't afford a new mobo right now but if I have to I might be able to scrape up enough for a new mobo. I've run a series of very intensive hardware tests that say my hardware is all ok but I don't know...I wonder if it could be a powersupply issue, I've got a power monitor running and the +12 volt part drops as low as 11.5 when the system crashes so I'm thinking that maybe a new powersupply might resolve this issue.What brought me to this latest theory is that I just upgraded to 1 gig of ram and resently put in a second 40 gig HDD and the new vid cards (both of which are ATI's) are a 9250 and a 9600xt which replaced a Nvidia G4 440MX so the power requirements are totally different. Anyone else think that what I've described could be caused by a weakening powersupply?

ATI 9250

ATI Video Card Problem! Need Help

Replying to Logan Deathbringer

There is nothing wrong with your mobo or your o/s. I had the same problem around 3 or 4 times. Only solution is to clean install windows. The card is rubbish. On the 4th occasion this happend to me I hard powered down my pc and removed the card and threw it in the bin. That was my first and last ATI. I will never buy another one regardless of what people say.

-reply by ashman

I have the same problem with an ATI HD4670. Orginally fitted in a Dell E521 - I've now built a completely brand new system with a clean install of Vista 64 bit, fitted in this card, and still get the same problem. I would mind so much if it was crashing because I was thrashing it hard - it normally fails when the PC is idle! Nothing to do with any other hardware or drivers other than ATI's.This was my first ATI card too and it is about to be binned and replaced with an Nvidia.-reply by MrPotatoo

Graphics whigging outATI Video Card Problem! Need Help

I've got an ATI radeon 9600x. It's been a relatively good card, however about a month or so ago it started with what almost looked like a redraw issue. Initially it was an intermittent problem with strange things happening around the cursor as I moved the mouse. Then it progressed to full time( unless I uninstall CCC and the driver) and it effects the whole screen. The problem does not exist when in Safe mode and recently, my monitor ( a CRT type) has started to make a high freq whistle. Also, intermittently, the graphics in game whig out and become very pixelized.

Help!

-question by Doulos

Graphics acting funkyATI Video Card Problem! Need Help

I've got an ATI radeon 9600x. It's been a relatively good card, however about a month or so ago it started with what almost looked like a redraw issue. Initially it was an intermittent problem with strange things happening around the cursor as I moved the mouse. Then it progressed to full time( unless I uninstall CCC and the driver) and it effects the whole screen. The problem does not exist when in Safe mode and recently, my monitor ( a CRT type) has started to make a high freq whistle. Also, intermittently, the graphics in game funking out and become very pixelized.

Help!

-question by Doulos

ATI Radeon HD 4870x2 driver problemATI Video Card Problem! Need Help

So I just bought this PC with a RADEON HD 4870x2 graphic card. It'sA good PC with hard stats. However, the sick thing is, that almost anyProgram I run, especially the ones who requires administratorConfirmation to launch, my screen goes black, but it's still running.Then I get major problems just turning the PC on, I have to restart itUp to several times to get to the desktop again. Also occurs when I tryTo watch films in full screen etc. I currently run the Catalyst center09.10, which after what I learned, is the newest. Now when I run theRepair option from the windows disc, it tells me that "ATI graphic cardDriver has stopped working. Make sure you have the newest version" etc.I'm sure that I have the right and newest version, but it keepsHappening. Have also scanned for virus, and I opened the cabinet to seeIf everything was sitting the way it was supposed to, which it was. OhAnd yeah, if I let the PC stay on when the screen has gone black, itGoes to bluescreen of death... 

Please, any help ?

-reply by Buddy

I think IATI Video Card Problem! Need Help

I'm having a similar problem as all the rest of you.

I recently built a computer out of spare parts from my work (all the good bits)

And bought an ATI r9600xt/pro off a guy online. I've been through nearly all the ati supporting drivers and nothing helps.

Ok, it goes a bit like this: When I boot up my comp 50% of the time I just get a black screen after the bios loading stage bit.

The other 50% it loads win xp and then crashes after a couple of  mins, or hours (unpredictably) 

I also have freezing and reboots.

My system specs are as follows:

Albatron PM800pro with Intel p4 processor 2.5Ghz

VIA chip set 

1.24 Gb of DDR400 ram

40 Gb HDD

And of course we cant forget the ATI R9600pro/xt

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cant afford to upgrade graphics cards at the moment

Cheers. 

-reply by Andychasm7