xisto Community
iGuest

How Can I Start On Game Programing help plz

Problem with VB and other "Visual *" languages (probably except C++, but Microsoft still tries to make it's own standard, so meh): no portability.VB has it's own other issues, sure, but that's the main one.And to see how powerful C++ really is, in little less than 2 weeks and using a 2D graphical library (knowing NOTHING about the lib previously), I made it half way into an online remake of Bomberman (missing the "online" part heh). So yeah, I'd recommend it. Gotta finish that project anytime soon, but meh, college, exams, you name it...

vb is very powerfull, sometimes even faster then some c++ compilers !

Could be right, could be wrong.I'm pretty sure it's wrong most of the times.
The only way to be sure, is to write down two programs doing the same thing (let's say calculating the tenth decimal of pi) one version in vb and one version in C, compile both, run both, and see which one goes faster.

Could be right, could be wrong.I'm pretty sure it's wrong most of the times.
The only way to be sure, is to write down two programs doing the same thing (let's say calculating the tenth decimal of pi) one version in vb and one version in C, compile both, run both, and see which one goes faster.

Obviously supposing the quality (and thus efficiency) of the code is equal in both languages. :(

Nevertheless, it's is the way to go and check it out. I guess VB has lower performance on larger projects though.

I can honestly see myself almost 10 years ago in the original thread starter. and you're really not going to like my advice, but its the truth none the less.you arent going to be able to do game programming now. you cannot just decide you want to do it and think you will pick it up, and majority of the aspects behind it you wont even be able to comprehend right now. That comes with time. something that doesnt make sense to you now, further down the road will be easier to undersatnd. so my advice for you is:take about 10 steps back.do as the previous posts here have said and learn C/C++. then learn it some morethen eat sleep and breath it a while longer, hehDon't use some "game maker program" as they are all give horrible outcome, and you cant have any real satisfaction in anything that you make with them, cuz you didnt didnt make it yourself.and most importantly, start with the basics......after you've been learning C for a while, go ahead and make a game, but go back to the very beginning. meaning, make a small pong game. and once you start this, and realize how difficult it is for you (at your level of experience) to even make 2 moving lines and a ball that bounces accross the screen in 2d, then maybe you'll have more understanding on the complexity behind what you are wanting to do, and can move forward from there if you choose to xDHope this helped

I use Game Maker. It's by far not as powerful as languages like Allegro or C, but it's still powerful and at least powerful enough to make real good 2D games. It supports online play and has d3d functions (Draw 3D). However you have to make your models quite low poly.