xisto Community
Razor Blaze

My Computer Shouldn't Going This Slow ...

Recently, my better windows computer decided it wanted to delete some files, and not it won't start up. (Maybe I got a virus, all I know is on startup I get quite a few missing file errors). So, to back up data, I took a harddrive from another windows computer and put it in the one that didn't work, so I get boot from that one and restore my data (Yeah, I know, I should've done it the other way around). So on startup, the working windows one gives me all those "New Hardware Found" messages (obviously, it's in a new tower). I install everything as best I can. Right now, I'm on the working windows, getting ready to back up about 10 gigs of stuff to my MP3 player. But the problem is, it seems to be going -really- slow. I mean, this isn't the best computer, but it should be going faster than this. 1.0GHz PIII, 384MB of RAM. I mean, it freezes up when I have winamp, wizchat, AIM, and firefox open. Even if I'm just using winamp and firefox, my music pauses and skips often because the computer slows down. Anyone have any idea why it does this? Or what I can do to fix it? I went to the System Properties thing, and it does say 383MB of RAM, but for processor it only says "x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 6". The only thing I can think is that windows thinks it's still trying to use the other processor (which is a 266MHz), but I don't even know if that's possible. -Razor Blaze

I think u can try to increase the pagefile size. you should go to the performance screen of the task manager & see the "Commit Charge" column. More closer the total/peak charge to the avialable charge the lesser the system performance. So u should try to increase the page file size by increasing the virtual memory available to the system from the System Properties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory menu.u can allocate more towards pagefile size from any of the partitions available from your hard disk.cheers

You just installed a new Harddrive into that PC, right ?Then maybe thats the cause of the problems... 15 minutes ago I put another Harddrive in the PC of my father and this Harddrive made the PC run much slower, maybe that's caused by the same problem? (my harddrives has problems and can't be read though :D )

I'm not sure about this, but there could be a hell of alot of confliction errors occuring, if the OS was set up on other hardware there could be driver conflictions or the system could be using improper drivers for certain things. Or the hard drive that lost the files in the first place that you are copying off of could always just be dieing for good, grim thought but its a possibility,

The hard drive runs slower and that is the problem, so fix for this is get a faster hard drive...If the hard drive you are used to is 1/3 times faster than the old one then you should expect to see that much degradation in performance. You just put a working SLOW hard drive into your box is all it is.

Hello, Razor Blade,

I'm not sure, but I think the speed problem you're having is recent. It happened only after that incident you had, am I correct? If your PC has always been like this, then certainly you should consider the advice other contributors have given. But if it actually is a recent problem, maybe there's something else to do ...

Normally, a "Missing File" message indicates either one of two things; a virus corrupting your existing files, or an interrupted installation of a certain piece of software. Naturally, in your case, there could be another reason, which is the incompatibility between your hardware and the Windows system you copied from another PC. Here's what I think you might want to try ...

First, install a good anti-virus program and thoroughly scan your system. I personally recommend Avast! Home Edition, which is a very fast, very efficient program. Unfortunately, it cannot repair infected files unless it had been already installed before files are infected, and so, if you indeed had a virus, it'll only give you the option to delete the infected files. I suppose this will depend on your situation.

Secondly, if you have all the drivers you need, perhaps you should consider installing a fresh Windows. Since there seems to be many problems with your current one, this may not be the worst of ideas. But again, you'll have to make a judgement call on this one.

And as an asnwer to your first question, no, Windows is not misreading your processor. It's simply the way it reads it according to Intel's specifications.

I hope all goes well. Good luck! :-)

it might have to do something with the transfer from a PII setup to a PIII setup.This might be succesfull, few days ago I transfer a hdd w/ win98 from a K6-II to a PII and back and back to the PII and it still works perfect.I suggest you to do this; back-up your data like you wanted to do and reinstall windows