xisto Community
bnbrown

( Auto ) Playing Cds On Old Debian Installation ?

I got an old laptop and there's an old debian is installed. There's tuxbox etc. Firts off I wanted to play an audio CD, but there was no aquto play, though. Then I asked my friend how to make it and he said "mount cdrom" then it said only root can do that, I asked my frind and he said you must change to root. It's kinda weird stuff going on here! Can any one help me?

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

you can change to root in terminal by writing "su root-password" "sudo root-password"and then do the mount of your cd-rom :huh:

by saying you just got an old laptop.. do you have the root password or could get it! if so, then you can switch to root (commands above), else i dont know if you can reset a root password, can we?

Righty... ooohhhh

and then do the mount of your cd-rom

you cannot mount an audio-cdrom, because there is no filesystem.
just aplain wav dumped right ontop o each track.

(however you can *Explore* audio cd's and copy from them, but thats a differant question)

There are old ways of playing audio cd's, but these include polling the cr-rom drive every few seconds, and is generally quite messy.

The best way to do it, is with HAL (Hardware Abstraction layer)

make sure the hardware abstraction layer daemon is running, and use a HAL client, that begins playing an audio cd, when HAL detects an audio CD.

KDE-3.5 (and possably other versions, im not sure) are such a hal client.

in Kde-3.5, when you insert removable media, KDE pops up a message box, asking what you want to do when this Type of media is inserted.

for example, with an audio cd, you could select, Play, Rip to MP3, export to Ipod / explore.

I would recomend upgrading KDE.