xisto Community
Quatrux

How To Access Hdd Directly on other computer

Hello,I am searching for a way to access my brothers computer Hard Disk through my Computer and see it directly using Windows XP, what I mean, he has 120GB of music and when I am on Windows I got fed up downloading it and listening it in my room. I got used to linux to just mount it as a Partition in the fstab, but on windows I can't find a solution to this.1) He does not want to install samba on his linux "yet another service"2) I do not understand after reading various tutorials how to use NFS on windows, it did not work and he does not want me to help.3) Maybe there is a virtual way or something how I can do it by FTP ? like to play music in my Player from his hdd directly without needing to download it ?I tried google and other forums, but could not find anything useful, maybe someone here has the knowledge to do it. Thanks in advance :huh:

You mean that you and your brother are in the same network?Then its simple. Just let him share his hdd, with a password you know. Then only you and your brother can acces his hdd. Mark

We are connected on a 100 MB/s lan.Well he is on Linux and I am on Windows, and as you know Windows has samba by default that is why you can share, he does not want to install samba for me, if I was on Linux I could just mount and see his HDD, but Windows can't do that. My Windows knowledge is limited :S

Well I haven't found anything about this issue, I tried to play with NFS client on Windows, but really could not find anything user friendly and working, if windows os needs something than it is definetely an Open Source and User Friendly NFS Client and NFS Server, which is easy to manage and understand + security, the most software I found was shareware and did not work as excpected and etc.Well, nothing was left for me only to install Samba.. :huh:

I tried to play with NFS client on Windows

with NFS it's really friendly. The linux systems nfs-shares it's fileystem, and your PC simply uses it, and you navigate with Windows Explorer like on your own computer.I use the NFS from Microsft Services for Unix, it's professional and easy to use.

Well, I could not configure NFS Client. When I accessed the "mounted" dir to my brothers hdd it just rebooted. Every time I needed to restart windows that the settings would take effect, the service and client did not show up in the network settings as said in most tutorials and helps and more stuff I just got annoyed. On Linux it is easy to setup it that a client could browse, but.. problems was on my side.I know theoretically it should have worked as you said, I read through out tutorials how to install it and use it, my conclusion - s*it. :huh: well, anyway I am happy that my bro installed samba..

When I accessed the "mounted" dir to my brothers hdd it just rebooted

One update is missing. Just connect to Microsoft Update, loadd all the mandatory updates. I remember the update description looks like "system rebooting when accessing a remote disk", and when I applied it it stopped rebooting. By the way, I am talking about SFU 3.5, the last one.

can't you just 'connect' to your brother's pc by going to start > My networklocations?My networklocations could have a bit different name though because i've got a dutch version of windows ;)

can't you just 'connect' to your brother's pc by going to start > My networklocations?
My networklocations could have a bit different name though because i've got a dutch version of windows ;)

"My network loacations" is only for Microsoft CIFS shared disks, not for Linux NFS exports.