xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Harry1984a

Do You Run A Forum-website Forum-Website Poll

Do you run a Website including a Forum?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi at all!

Today it seems that it is diffucult to run an official Board/Forum.

There are laws which say.. you.. you bad bad admin from the board
have to watch all the posts the whole day...and if there is a forbidden
or dangerous post from a user you have to delete it in 0.002 seconds!
You do not delete it? Go to jail! *g*

Its a difficult topic.. look at http://www.heise.de/
'>
http://www.heise.de/

So.. are you brave enough to run a board....?

Greetings Harry

Not really a problem if you get a team of dedicated moderators who always keep the board clean - a prime example would be the Xisto forums, where we DO NOT allow any sort of illegal content and plagiarised material. If our board continues to operate like this always - I don't think a situation will arise which can bring down consequences like that.

Meanwhile - if you're a forum admin, you can join this great forum to exchange administration tips and tricks and read great articles and tutorials too.. It's called The Admin Zone Forums and can be reached at: https://theadminzone.com/
'>
https://theadminzone.com/
... While you're there make sure you put up your forum in the Showcase and watch out for the featured forum of the month :huh:

I'm way too lazy to set up - and then maintain - my own forum. If people want to talk, they can send me an e-mail or something. *grins*As for Xisto (in response to m^e's post): I really hope this forum stays the way it is. I didn't think that I would really enjoy hanging out here when I first signed up for the web space, but I do like reading and posting here.

Yeah, I have one. But, I don't think anyone from the United States is gonna be affected here, because the court was in Germany. Although, I do wonder a little, with the Supreme Court over here making decisions based on "international opinion", not settled American law..... :huh:

well I run a Forum that was at one time used by the members of the gaming guild that uses the website/forum I maintain and there is only one or two areas of it that can be accessed by non-guild members so it isn't really a public place so I don't think that I have to worry to much about those rulings.

im sure that the internet police - [who ever they are?] would care more about people running proper illegal sites.that court case makes no sence. so what if they used that forum to say that. you dont take schools to court if someone else writes something illegal on the blackboard. if someone sprays a slogan invoking revolt on the wall of a bank they dont take the bank to court.generally people can say what they like on my forum.

ive got a forum and a full site about guns n roses (im a gnr junkie)and i watch everyones god damn posts but the only post i get to read is my own coz im the only one there, jokin lol i have 24 moderators

I have been running sites with forums since 1998, with early versions of Invision, Mercury board (now also Quicksilver) phpBB YaBB, SMF and more and have never had a problem. Just about every CMS has a forum or Bulletin board, who in the world is going to go around and hassle the millions of forums that there are out there, this would be a feat that would only be accompliched with willing accomplises that don't like you and are probably in competition with you and just want to scare you.

I do not allow certain posts on my site but they are things like no terroristic threats, no advocation of the overthrow of my own country or state, nothing immoral, or illegal, no porographic images or link to them, and no really abusive behovior on my boards. I run four of them and offer help to webmasters and postential webmasters that are thinking about running certain types of websites.

It sounds to me like you have read one of those urban lengands. Keep you site up and keep it clean and just watch out for hackers, don't worry about posts that are not really much more than other peoples opinion, and if you live somewhere that it is illegal to post certain information that might offend a politician or public policy or anything like that, you might want to think about fleeing from that oppresive regime, because next they can lock you up or execute you in the middle of night for anything they wish.

This is just my opinion, but I live in the United States of America and can express it without any fear of the above mentioned consequences.

Yeah, I'm running my own forum. First I started with a preinstalled forum, such as InvisionFree. It was good, but it died after some time. It is quite rare for those kinds of forums to be lively. Especially if it's not in a major language, such as English. Since my first forum I have advanced a lot. Now I have my own site with a forum that I have installed myself. All the admin work isn't easy, but I don't expect to have many problems with the future members. I am also the administrator on another forum which is bigger, and there were some problems, but the team has managed to solve them.As for the law, I think it's always best to put something like this in the 'I agree' part when you register."This forum is not responsible for any of the posts, since those are the work of other members" :huh: But of course, you have to be careful...

I run a gaming forum also, phpBB. I've never had a problem with it either. There is certain codes of understanding I think that people basically know, and they just don't cross that line. If someone were to do it, they would simply be dealt with appropriatly. But most people know about the, no threats, no adult content, no sexual harrassment kinda things. It's just common sense.

I started using a pre-installed forum software (Invisionfree) for my forum based RPG site. It went into moods of activity and inactivity many times.I though, do not think I will be having any problems with the law. All of us members there ever do is post about fictious stuff and we hone our writing skills. So, I just need to look out for plagarised material.Two of us are admin, and we have two moderators. That is quite a lot for a total member strength of 35. So, our boards are quite clean. There were only two problems we faced to dates, and those were related to spamming. (One posted a link to a similar forum as mine, and the other did not even know what to post were).

I used to start dozens of forum-websites with a common goal or just another one of my "class-forums". But they usually never work out. Once though, i had one that went really well. My friends were posting great stuff and having lots of fun, even organizing outings through the forums and i was really proud. But then exams came and there was less activity in the forums and almost null during the exams. After the exams, i expected my friends to come back to the forum, but they told me it wasn't really fun anymore B) . But i wasn't disappointed at all...i was getting tired of moderating it all the time ;) . Even so, i would love to manage and run my own successful forum-website if possible. Might even generate some revenue from it. :D