xisto Community
Yacoob

Is Norton The Best Anti-virus?

Hi, I have had Norton for 5 years now and I like it but I wanted to know if it was the best or not. I think it's the best but that's just my opinion. What's you opinion?Yacoob

I think it's the best but that's just my opinion. What's you opinion?

Does it matter? :)

If it's working, don't fix it. If you're thinking of changing antiviruses, let me tell you that the antivirus is useful only if you keep it updated regularly and run periodic checks. Besides, a lot depends on how you use your system. An antivirus is mostly a preference.

Coming to your question, I would say Norton is one of the 'good' antiviruses. I haven't come across an antivirus that I would say is the best. Myself, I use PC-Cillin 2002 which came bundled along with my motherboard. I was using NAV 2005, but there's some virus in my campus network which eats aways Norton. And besides, Norton was taking up too much memory.

Kaspersky is another of the good antiviruses, but it's realtime monitor can bring your system to it's knees.

i think it does matter becuase it works today ...but may not work tomorrow ..with a new virus. or atleast till the damage is done .Norton is good Antivrus with a good corportae background..but their AntiVirus is a bit high on resource IMO.

I think hatim is correct Norton is OK but it does take up a lot of resources from your computer I recommend NOD32 it seems to be able a lot of stuff that Norton does not and it does it much quicker then norton. Also it alows you to terminate the connection before the virus has time to install it self also it uses less computer resources, well thats my opinion

Ok, i really am not the system tweaking guy, i format and i reinstall, maybe when time is at my disposal i would try out stunts :) But i prefer Norton to any other antivirus. Now thats because i have been using norton for around 3 years and apart from lag in startup i havent had ANY problems till now. Norton 2004 was a pain because of its requirements and system memory. But 2005 is kinda light on my system, Yes it does start up a little late but not as late as norton 2004.I tried the demo of 2006, and hell i am sticking with 2005, though 2006 has various tempting options, i noticed a longer lag in startup time, maybe its just me .. but as long as i have been around norton, even tho it eats up system memory , it still gives you complete protection in return.I dont normally use firewalls, it kind of annoys me lol, but i like the internet worm detection feature. I do get pop ups .. around 5-6 at a time but thats like once in two months. Apart from that, i dont think i have any cons in norton that makes me want to give it up.RegardsDhanesh.

NOD32 Is more projected at a moderate systems user as you will beable to tell through it's GUI it's simple but powerful thats why it works there is nothing wrong with norton it's just taking up a lot of unssicary system power which you could be using on other things such as games or music while playing games or movies or........you get the point although I have to admit they seem to be gradually getting better in that area

I've got Norton Antiviris 2005 and I think it's better than 2006. About you said James, I don't think NOD32 is as powerful as Norton. And also I don't think Norton takes up unnecessary system power because I do all those things at once and their all fast together! And Dhanesh, we have something in common. :)Yacoob

I'm using Norton Internet Security and I think it's a very good Anti-Virus/firewall. On one of my other computers I'm using McAfee but it isn't as good as Norton. It takes quite a while to update it and it's requiring more space then Norton. Also the service of Norton is better I think. I've my computer infected three times by a virus, every time on the computer with McAfee. When a new virus is released, Norton is just a bit faster then McAfee with updating their virus-definitions.

One thing I want to remember you by: it's hard to test every virus scanner avaible and say what one is the best of them. Norton is better then McAfee in MY opinion but maybe other people will prefer McAfee because it also got strong points Vs. Norton. Anyway I don't know if Norton is the best, but it's definately a very good one !

-=jeroen=-

well, as long as you're happy with it...i mean, if you're like the big downloading person or something then maybe...not? i don't know i use mcaffee (or however you spell it), but i'm pretty sure norton's good too...i think those two are like the top. i mean, if youre happy with norton and you haven't really had any problems with it, and you'r ecomputer is relatively virus free, then i dont' see the need to change it.

Norton is the worst Anti virus ever, along with MCafee. if you want something good. PC-CILLIN. I was using Norton for a long time until i read some reviews on trend micro, they're website is awsome too. I am using an old version of pc-cillin 2004 i think or 2003 i got it free with my motherboard you can get the new version but 2003 works great there are updates every day and i have found viruses on my pc that norton never detected before. the only problem is that sometimes you find some weird trojan's that nobody has ever heard of before and trend micro's site doesnt have any info cause a trojan is not really a virus. right now i run pc-cillin with ms anti spyware, and with these two together i cannot go wrong i am alerted instantly as soon as a change is being done to my registry and i can easily prevent it from being done.

I had Norton Antivirus Professional Edition a few years ago. Didn't even bother renewing. The reason I don't like Antiviruses is because one, I never use email and two, it doesn't protect you from spyware. Adware, to me, is more intrusive and more irritating than viruses. Plus, spy programs are so easy that I believe even an eight-year-old kid can set up a keylogger. I've tried it, I mean I messed up, but now I know more about it than if I didn't. It's so easy. Just look up Google for a fully-functioning keylogging program, buy it, edit the name, send an email to someone with the logging-attachments and wait until the victim opens it all up. But you have to hide it with a password so they won't know you're spying on them.