xisto Community
Vyoma

A Need For Content Management System Design of a CMS

Here is what I felt I need - a simple content management system. I have a lot of things that I need to put on the web, and by now, I am pretty much tired of repetitively coding in HTML. So, I need to resort to a Content Management System (CMS). I know there are a lot of CMS around, a lot of free ones too. One that seems good being PHPNuke.

But, as I said, I need a pretty simple CMS. Simple in the keyword. So, I thought about designing a system for myself. That would ensure that I would learn a lot during the process. So are there any resources that you would like to point me at, that would be of help? More in terms of architecture design and such? Because that is the phase I am presently at.

I would be keeping track of things on how I proceed at my blog. The link is: My Blog for those who wish to see for themselves. [Moderators, please remove this, if it is not appropriate to post link].

well to be honest I don't know much about resources in the way of directing you in how to go about designing a CMS but from personal experiance and knowing people that have used multiple CMS's I have found that Mambo/Joomla is a "very simple" CMS but also very powerful. I am currently using it and although I'm having a bit of a problem, of my own creation by the way, it has been simple to install and learn how to work with. Hope this has been helpful if not....sorry.

i suggest you use PHPNUke, it is more flexible and powerfull than other content management systems in the web, PHPNuke have many moudles for example : forum(php BB), photo gallery, news and article publisher, poll, Advertisement, Statistics
and multi lever user, multi languages

you can download PHPNUKE from official website:
https://www.phpnuke.org/

or install from CPANEL

Well, actually myweb is a simple CMS, but rather than coding myself, I used existing scripts and modified them to my own needs, so that way I get myself a pretty neat and simple CMS, but there are many thing that I will probably need to correct, to be able to call it "Real" CMS system. Untill then, it's a "beta" version :)

Well, the point is that I do know of all those CMS, but what I wanted to do was to design and code one of my own. I want to know what it takes to create a CMS in terms of implementation. For that sake, I would like some design documentation or something of that sorts, that gives me the architectural and functional views. If there are none, that is fine. I will try to work something out, and may be :) I will put a tutorial here?

Why don't you use XOOP. It's very simple, you can install new modules to fit your need. My site is using that.

1064331484[/snapback]

As I said earlier, I want to design and code a CMS myself. There is nothing like hands-on practicals that would teach me all the concepts and tricks. After that I may shift to something else.

It is something like:

I need to reinvent the wheel,

'Cause I need to feel the thrill!

:)

Try opensourcecms.comThey have a bunch of free CMS's that you can try before you download.If your looking for simple and flexible, I highly recomend taking a look at AngelineCMS at angelinecms.infoMake sure it is AnglineCMS 0.6.5 or 0.8.0 not AnglineCMS-Lite. THe Lite Version is a simple blog tool not a full featured system.0.6.5 seems to have a few more features like a built in image gallery and forum system. 0.8.0 is the latest and seems to be aimed more towards blogging.One of the pluses is it has a flexible template system. I recomend 0.6.5 for the templates as 0.8.0 don't seem to have a lot, but it is really easy to take a basic HTML template and apply it to the sitr with a little CSS.

One of the pluses is it has a flexible template system.  I recomend 0.6.5 for the templates as 0.8.0 don't seem to have a lot, but it is really easy to take a basic HTML template and apply it to the sitr with a little CSS.

1064331557[/snapback]

That angelineCMS really looks nice, and it goes with standards... so, I like it! and I will think of it in future, maybe it replace my current cms :)

I want to design and code a CMS myself. There is nothing like hands-on practicals that would teach me all the concepts and tricks. After that I may shift to something else.
It is something like:
I need to reinvent the wheel,
'Cause I need to feel the thrill!

There is a thread somewhere in the forums which explains how to develop your own CMS. It's actually a matter of first framing a layout that you like, for example:

<?include 'basic.php';?><html><head><title><?mytitle();?></title></head><body><!-- Insert Header code here --><?include 'header.php';?><!-- Insert menu code here --><?include 'menu.php';?><!-- Insert Navbar code here --><?include 'navbar.php';?><!-- Insert Content code here --><?include 'content.php';?><!-- Insert footer content here --><?include 'footer.php';?></body></html>

and then customising each of the other pieces in your design like footer.php, menu.php and so on.

You can go one step further and develop a frontend for this (say admin.php) which will allow you to login and then open each of the codes in a text box for easy editing.

That's just about the basics for a CMS. I would say actual CMS packages are much more complex.

That's just about the basics for a CMS. I would say actual CMS packages are much more complex.

1064331567[/snapback]

Yes, I started making my own this way, made a layout in Photoshop, sliced it and exported to Dreamweaver...

Then complete cleanup in Dreamweaver, to make it nicelooking, and compact. After that I made separate parts: topmenu, rightmenu, bottommenu, and content. All that parts are in php, and have their own flat database. (I didn't want to learn mysql at that point) So, what I did is made an folder that is protected with login/password, and there keep my flat files for databases (like txt files...).

Pretty simple, but when it comes to realization, one would need to know something more about html, and php... :)

There is a thread somewhere in the forums which explains how to develop your own CMS. It's actually a matter of first framing a layout that you like, for example:

--- cut off for legibility ---

You can go one step further and develop a frontend for this (say admin.php) which will allow you to login and then open each of the codes in a text box for easy editing.

1064331567[/snapback]

Yes Abhiram, I have been going on those lines. I am presently developing one on my own, and it is quite rudimentary. Presently, I have just realized the basic workings and the birds-eye-view of it all. I have been posting my updates on the issue in my blog.

Anyway, once I figure it all out and try it for myself, I would be putting up a tutorial here. (That, ofcourse, if I get enough time from my deviations).