xisto Community
PureHeart

What Is Mkv? Need Help With This File Format?

I've download a movie, but I don't know how to open it. What's MKV format. Never used that before. This is the file name :

Final_Fantasy_VII_Last_Order_v2.DVD(H264.AAC)[KAA][C58D2776].mkv

I'm very excited to watch the movie. So, please reply as soon as possible. Please include information about the codec in your post. Where to download the codec ?

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

I've download a movie, but I don't know how to open it. What's MKV format. Never used that before. This is the file name :

I'm very excited to watch the movie. So, please reply as soon as possible. Please include information about the codec in your post. Where to download the codec ?

1064330481[/snapback]

Go here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/matroska_pack.htm

And never go anywhere else again looking for codecs :)

1064330481[/snapback]

This is a website of Matroska

To download the lastest version, try its official pack at packs.matroska.org

Matroska aims to become THE standard of multimedia container formats. It was derived from a project called MCF, but differentiates from it significantly because it is based on EBML (Extensible Binary Meta Language), a binary derivative of XML. EBML enables the Matroska Development Team to gain significant advantages in terms of future format extensibility, without breaking file support in old parsers.First, it is essential to clarify exactly "What an Audio/Video container is", to avoid any misunderstandings:It is NOT a video or audio compression format (video codec) It is an envelope for which there can be many audio, video and subtitles streams, allowing the user to store a complete movie or CD in a single file. Matroska is designed with the future in mind. It incorporates features you would expect from a modern container format, like:Fast seeking in the file High error recovery Chapter entries Selectable subtitle streams Selectable audio streams Modularly Extendable Streamable over internet (HTTP and RTP audio & video streams) Menus (like DVDs have) Matroska is an open standards project. This means for personal use it is absolutely free to use and that the technical specifications describing the bitstream are open to everybody, even to companies that would like to support it in their products. The source code of the libraries developed by the Matroska Development Team is licensed under GNU L-GPL.The founders of Matroska have the following goals:Create and document a modern, flexible and cross-platform Audio/Video container format, in combination with an open codec API to form a free and open media framework Establish Matroska as the opensource alternative to existing containers such as AVI, ASF, MOV, RM, MP4, MPG Develop a set of tools for the creation, editing and implementation of Matroska files Develop libraries and tools for software developers to be able to support Matroska in their applications Prepare hardware support of Matroska files in next generations standalone units, in close cooperation with device manufacturers Support adoption and implementation of Matroska's libraries into OpenBeOS Mediakit and GStreamer (Multimedia Framework for Linux , equivalent to Microsoft DirectShow ® for Windows ) Launch a set of DirectShow filters for playback and creation of Matroska files on Windows Operating Systems We invite every interested developer to join our team and to help us to achieve these goals. While most of the existing Matroska code is in C++ we are also interested in C and Java programmers joining us.Yacoob

Replying to curareI also downloaded a .Mkv file, I tried to play it on my ogm player but it will only play for 5 seconds, I thiughts that the file is corrupt, but when I tried to burn it on the dvd, you can now watch your movie, I used the convertXtodvd software.

what is mkv format

What Is Mkv? Need Help With This File Format?

Replying to PureHeart

Actually, MKV is just a multimedia container format that can contain so many kinds media formats. If you want to play an mkv file, the best way is not to decode it but extract the video and audio format from the mkv inside, there is a site which offers a lot of <a href="http://www.mkv-converter.com/ Converter</a> you can find for your problem.

-reply by mkv converter

Replying to iGuest.Mkv files are also 3x bigger than ordinary video files. What was wrong with the old formats? I've never had a problem with previous formats of movie files for burning/viewing/sharing/whatever. I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

ImTOO MPEG Encoder Platinum - This MKV Converter is powerful video and audio file converter. It can convert video formats like MKV,AVI, MPEG, WMV, etc., convert audio formats like MP3, WMA, etc. And convert picture formats like JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/(divx,xvid).Html-reply by caryan

I've download a movieFinal_Fantasy_VII_Last_Order

And of course, remember, downloading commercial movies like "Final Fantasy VII" is strongly forbidden by law in most of modern countries, and is against our forum rules.
Except if this movie was made by your cousing, with his own camera, filming his dogs playing in your garden ? Home-made movies can be upladed and shared freely, all other ones are not.

butter1093What Is Mkv? Need Help With This File Format?

MKV is the Video container format similar to .AVI and .MOV that supports several types of video compression and video codec. So you will always happen that some MKV videos could play on your media player .

If you HD MKV can not play on your PC, the first thing, please download a free MKV codec package . If you still can not open the file, you have to think about converting the MKV files to other compatible formats for your media player on your PC. So, you have to get a powerful all codecs included Mkv converter  to help you convert all MKV files to any other video formats you want.  Hope you could solve your problem.  

All the best,

Samantha

-reply by butter1093