xisto Community
vdhieu84

Hosting Complain yes, it is a complain

I just have my website hosted for several hours, but so many problem arose and I wonder ... if this hosting is good.At first, I have no negative feeling about the server at all, pretty reliable and stable. But probably, either my fault or the host owner's intention, I got some trouble.First of all, I have no shell access, i guess I have to request it somewhere, could I do that?Not be able to use SSH, I tried Frontpage since FTP and online browsing are kinda frustrating.What I found out is, when I want to upload a whole folder of codes of mine from my computer to the server, the server denied to make a copy of empty directories. You know, not all empty directories are evil, I have them there for reasons. So, I fixed this problem by manually create empty directories. So, that seems fine.And then, I missed some files, they don't show up either on FTP or Frontpage (but online browsing). I figured out that those files was made invisible (hidden) by the server because their names started with the underscore "_" and the period ".", you know they are special files and have some functions too.And finally, I found out that for some reason, GD is not supported? I couldn't get my gallery online.Those might be my fault of not researching this forum clearly, but kinda frustrating. Can any admin or experienced user advice something.Thanks

First of all, I have no shell access, i guess I have to request it somewhere, could I do that?

Not be able to use SSH, I tried Frontpage since FTP and online browsing are kinda frustrating.

Shell access isn't allowed by default as most people don't use it and can cause more damage unknowingly ... but there's no restriction on it as such. It doesn't cost you either to get it. All you'll have to do is make another request in the Misc. Requests forum under Hosting Request Forum and it'll be done.

What I found out is, when I want to upload a whole folder of codes of mine from my computer to the server, the server denied to make a copy of empty directories. You know, not all empty directories are evil, I have them there for reasons. So, I fixed this problem by manually create empty directories. So, that seems fine.

Yup, the server denies creation of empty folders through FTP upload - so that's one problem you got to live up with. On the other hand, if you're using some good FTP client, you can manually create those directories - not a problem at all.

And then, I missed some files, they don't show up either on FTP or Frontpage (but online browsing). I figured out that those files was made invisible (hidden) by the server because their names started with the underscore "_" and the period ".", you know they are special files and have some functions too.

This is another feature which you cannot do anything about. By default on all *NIX systems, files beginning with "." or "_" are treated as hidden/system files and thus don't show up on normal listing. Only a ls -la will show you all those. However, I use WS_FTP and FileZilla - and those show up on my listings.

And finally, I found out that for some reason, GD is not supported? I couldn't get my gallery online.

Those might be my fault of not researching this forum clearly, but kinda frustrating. Can any admin or experienced user advice something.

GD is supported for sure - but after the server shift, it hasn't been enabled on the new servers. The technicians have been notified, but sometimes you'll notice that such things take a little time to get fixed.

We try to offer really quick and state-of-the-art service but we run on limited manpower, managing so many different sites under the Xisto ring. And none of this is paid for as such - most of the administering is done by people who do it on a voluntary basis. They've got their own work & life too and they time-share between them and maintain our sites/boards. So sometimes if you see the pace slacken a bit, this is the only reason behind it. We're sorry about that.

I am still wondering ... Y would you want to use Frontpage for file transfer ? You always have the option of using FTP programs like CuteFTP, BulletFTP etc. I personally use CuteFTP and things work like a charm between me and my account on asta. No problems of hosting in 4 mths now. Folder creation is fine, upload of files is fine, editing of php files through the FTP programs works fine. I would suggest you to use an FTP program and the cPanel file manager can be used to just randomly check your files and the permissions or delete huge folders that take up more time on FTP.RegardsDhanesh.

First off, thanks miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG for pointing everything out clearly. I hope that GD will be stable soon.

I am still wondering ... Y would you want to use Frontpage for file transfer ? You always have the option of using FTP programs like CuteFTP, BulletFTP etc. I personally use CuteFTP and things work like a charm between me and my account on asta. No problems of hosting in 4 mths now. Folder creation is fine, upload of files is fine, editing of php files through the FTP programs works fine.

I would suggest you to use an FTP program and the cPanel file manager can be used to just randomly check your files and the permissions or delete huge folders that take up more time on FTP.

Regards

Dhanesh.

1064330250[/snapback]

I'm not the fan of Frontpage, because it gave me no flexibility at all. I don't like FTP either because it is insecure, speially for editing file through FTP. But I have to use them for now because shell script is not yet enable for my account. But I am going to request an ssh right now, so I don't have to use Frontpage anymore, I will use vi instead :).

One moment please... vdhieu84.. Firstly, I am still configuring this new server. Secondly, We are working on this. And kindly give us some time because First I have to answer the paid hosting clients who pay and then ask for service and then look after the free clients.My work load is increasing day by day and all queries are being handled accordingly.

Here, compiled PHP with new configure attributes. GD is now enabled.configure php-4.4.1...(--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --prefix=/usr --with-xml --enable-bcmath --enable-calendar --with-curl --with-dom --with-dom-xslt --with-dom-exslt --enable-ftp --with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local --with-png-dir=/usr --with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6 --with-gettext --with-imap --with-imap-ssl --with-kerberos --enable-mbstring --enable-mbstr-enc-trans --enable-mbregex --with-mcrypt --with-mhash --enable-magic-quotes --with-mysql=/usr --with-openssl --enable-discard-path --with-pear --with-pspell --enable-xslt --with-xslt-sablot --enable-sockets --enable-track-vars --with-ttf --with-freetype-dir=/usr --enable-gd-native-ttf --enable-versioning --with-xmlrpc --with-zlib).... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done

I just have my website hosted for several hours, but so many problem arose and I wonder ... if this hosting is good.

All you have to do is read the hundreds of threads and posts complimenting the team for their great effort and work load put into this business. What do you expect from a free host (no offence OpaQue and crew), but we aren't exactly going to get blood for it. I think you need to rethink before slagging anyone off.

But probably, either my fault

I couldn't agree more. If you had taken the TIME to read the posts concerning the hosting shift, you would have realised that XISTO, has a lot on their plates, and as OpaQue has just qualified that, I think it goes to show that you need to research before you preach.
The remainder of your post is more requests over complaints.

In future, I put this to everyone before they make a complaint. USE THE SEARCH FEATURE.

All you have to do is read the hundreds of threads and posts complimenting the team for their great effort and work load put into this business. What do you expect from a free host (no offence OpaQue and crew), but we aren't exactly going to get blood for it.

First off, I apprieciate all the hard work from admins (and others) who maintain this hosting service. But apprieciation and complimentation do not help the whole lot. The problems they got here can also be the problem they have on the paid service. So, it's worth it to point out any problem arose here.

I couldn't agree more. If you had taken the TIME to read the posts concerning the hosting shift, you would have realised that XISTO, has a lot on their plates, and as OpaQue has just qualified that, I think it goes to show that you need to research before you preach.
In future, I put this to everyone before they make a complaint. USE THE SEARCH FEATURE.

Secondly, I DID research (intensively) before I posted. And if you paid a little more attention, you can notice that what I complained were all correct and reasonable.

1. In most of the previous posts (even the most recent ones) about GD library, people said that GD library is supported. But I did not find that true, so I had to confirm it. And I was right, the reason (as confirmed by m^c and OpaQue) is because the recent change of the server. And now GD has just got supported again (thanks Opaque)
2. A complain about SSH was more like a question because I did't know where to request it.
3. Other complains was not mentioned before in this forum. (Thank m^c for answering them clearly)

I think you need to rethink before slagging anyone off.

Read my post again and see if it is what people defined as "slagging". And yes, I took your suggestion and I just had to slag (using your definition) you off a little bit in this post.

is some case he is right, because I don't see any announcments/news/support or topics related to the hosting, sometimes it is being down and I don't even see a topic today, next day, why, when and just sometimes from an user here i see something, but not answered by the hosting team, but i am still happy, just that i was always used to a forum where people noticed that the server was down for 2 hours, I also get an email if my domain is not accessable, quite often byt an automatic system.But anyway, good work Admins, I know when time becomes your enemy.. so little time, so much to do. :)and complains that you can't upload an empty dir is a little bit ridicalous, in some cases it is even better, and also it can be your ftp client problem or feature.

Not be able to use SSH, I tried Frontpage since FTP and online browsing are kinda frustrating.

"Frontpage since FTP... kinda frustrating"? What do you think Frontpage file transfers are based on? FYI: on FTP. How else would you get those files up there? (S)FTP can do all these file operations you want to do and have problems with.
On a side note, it's your website and your way of working, but I cannot imagine how someone would want a static website built with Frontpage. Especially if you think of all those WONDERFUL options this server provides you.

My advice: Go and do some reading about static versus dynamic websites and what it can do for you. You'll forget "Frontpage" as soon as you can spell "PHP" :)

"Frontpage since FTP... kinda frustrating"? What do you think Frontpage file transfers are based on? FYI: on FTP. How else would you get those files up there? (S)FTP can do all these file operations you want to do and have problems with.

OH LORD!!

"Frontpage based on FTP"!? this must be a joke of the year and an excellent demonstration of how Microsoft doesn't explain much about their products. I don't want to be rude and get off the topic, but hey, please don't talk about stuffs that you don't know. Google for it yourself or (well, I kindly helped you a bit) look at this

An Overview of the FrontPage Server Extensions .

On a side note, it's your website and your way of working, but I cannot imagine how someone would want a static website built with Frontpage. Especially if you think of all those WONDERFUL options this server provides you.

My advice: Go and do some reading about static versus dynamic websites and what it can do for you. You'll forget "Frontpage" as soon as you can spell "PHP" :)

1064330464[/snapback]

Did I mention anything about my website is "static", or "dynamic" (wow, big word)? Pretty sure I didn't. Or, did I mention about "spelling PHP". I don't think so either. Or, did I say that I like Frontpage (I said I HAD to use FP because there's no shell acess).

But anyway, thanks for an advice. Since, during my 4-year of using PHP as a major income source, no one taught me how to spell PHP.

First, vdhieu, let me say that I do not like your attitude. You are not polite or honest. You were demanding things that had been discussed at length, in a later post you wrote that you read a lot before you posted, so why did you post it if you knew the answers before you did (post)?

I share one thing with you: the experience of joining here at a senstive time, when they were shifting hosts. My reaction to this was to read more what admins and mods had to say about it. They explained it all. Your reaction: see above.

OH LORD!!

"Frontpage based on FTP"!? this must be a joke of the year and an excellent demonstration of how Microsoft doesn't explain much about their products. I don't want to be rude and get off the topic, but hey, please don't talk about stuffs that you don't know. Google for it yourself or (well, I kindly helped you a bit) look at this

An Overview of the FrontPage Server Extensions .

I never wrote that "Frontpage [is] based on FTP", I wrote that "Frontpage file transfers are based on ... FTP." How do you think Frontpage transfers the files to the server? Beamed up? The file transfer is based on the File Transfer Protocol. I do not want to belittle the program, Frotpage 2003 is running fine here on my machine. I know it has some powerful features. Luckily for us the extensions to use Frontpage to its fullest are installed here. In terms of file transfer though it relies on the FTP client built into Windows.

In another post you mentioned you prefer vi over Frontpage, (Respect, honestly) so you must be someone that is very knowledgeable in OS's and SW. How could the abovementioned elude you? And come how you started all the rants about hidden files and directories? As someone who uses vi for editing? The ultimate nightmare of text-based text editors! :)

Your link to "An Overview of the FrontPage Server Extensions" refers to an outdated Version. And I see a "HTTP" between the client and the server, where there should stand "FTP". So far about "stuffs" that I don't know according to you.

But anyway, thanks for an advice. Since, during my 4-year of using PHP as a major income source, no one taught me how to spell PHP.

1064330470[/snapback]

I apologize if I took you for a n00b. Seems I was not the only one, based on the impression of your first post and the reactions from others.

Admins + Mods, I don't want this topic get off its orginal topic, but I have to defend my believe. If you can kindly split this topic and move it into more appropriate box, it would be spectacular.

First, vdhieu, let me say that I do not like your attitude.

Sorry if I'm (a little bit) rude. But since many people "attacked" me, assumed things that are not correct ("I like FP", "I'm an absolute n00b"...), I MUST defend myself. And I do that by all means.

You were demanding things that had been discussed at length, in a later post you wrote that you read a lot before you posted, so why did you post it if you knew the answers before you did (post)?

When did I say I know the answer? What I said is I knew the problems -> tried to find them in this forum -> there's no appropriate answer -> I complained here to find the answer I were looking for.

I never wrote that "Frontpage [is] based on FTP", I wrote that  "Frontpage file transfers are based on ... FTP." How do you think Frontpage transfers the files to the server? Beamed up? The file transfer is based on the File Transfer Protocol. I do not want to belittle the program, Frotpage 2003 is running fine here on my machine. I know it has some powerful features. Luckily for us the extensions to use Frontpage to its fullest are installed here. In terms of file transfer though it relies on the FTP client built into Windows.

Don't convince me when there is no evidence. Give me any credible documents about to support your statement that FP file transfer system based on FTP.

You asked "How else would you get those files up there?", FTP is not the only protocol to transfer file over the internet. For the meaning time, Distributed Authoring and Versioning (DAV), Secure Copy (SCP), SFTP (totally different thatn FTP), RCP (Remote Copy Protocol)... I don't know much about FP but I believe it uses regular HTTP throught port 80 to interact with its server extention.

In another post you mentioned you prefer vi over Frontpage, (Respect, honestly) so you must be someone that is very knowledgeable in OS's and SW. How could the abovementioned elude you? And come how you started all the rants about hidden files and directories? As someone who uses vi for editing? The ultimate nightmare of text-based text editors!  :)

I found no contradiction here. I said I prefer vi. With vi I can see my hidden files. I can't do that with FP.

What is "the ultimate nightmare of text-based text editors", did you mean vi? (If it's true, so lucky for you that this statement of yours is not in some kind of linux mailing list)

Your link to "An Overview of the FrontPage Server Extensions" refers to an outdated Version. And I see a "HTTP" between the client and the server, where there should stand "FTP". So far about "stuffs" that I don't know according to you.

it IS HTTP, not FTP. Jeez!!

Everyone, stop it. Sooner or later, this is going to turn into a flame war. There's nothing wrong with using FrontPage for building a website. My goodness, you're accusing him of not using the "wonder services you've been given". Silliness.First of all, there's too much heat in this thread. Someone close this thread. Make a new one.Second, there's nothing wrong with complaining unless your purpose is to make pointless ramblings about your dissatisfaction.Third, keep your words polite and don't poke other people. Many of you are assuming that vdhieu is some forum newbie who enjoys to complain. Now you're going to be anti-vdhieu because of a bad impression? C'mon - don't do this.Fourth, I have no idea what this discussion is about, except that there is attacking and defending going on, just because someone "complained" or merely asked for more info and stuff and might have been a little rude.Yeah, he acknowledged that he himself was rude. So don't be rude yourselves because if I was in his situation, I would feel really really bad. So everyone shake hands, take deep breaths, and start over on a new thread. I think that will be helpful.