xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
s243a

Black Hole Power

Steven Halking recognized the output power flux of a black whole was inversely proportional to its size. All matter that goes into a black whole will be converted to energy when it comes out. Thus there is 100% mass energy conversion as opposed to fission or fusion where only a small fraction of the mass is converted to energy. Such technology is important to the long term survival of mankind. To put it in perspective it has been said that a thimble full of anti matter will produce enough energy to launch a ship into space. Antimatter is another way to convert mass into energy with 100% efficiency. This is in contrast to the current space ships which have tanks of fuel that are many stories high. The amount of power cannot be understated. Fissionable fuel is nearly as scares as fossil fuel and water although plentiful on earth is no where near as plentiful in space. Moreover water cannot be converted to energy by fusion with 100% efficiency. It would be better to use the scarce water in the solar system to support life then burn it all for heat. A much better alternative would be to burn the more plentifully elements in the universe such as iron. Perhaps small black wholes shot into the sun could even restart the sun after it burns out say in 10 billion years or so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4357613.stm

containing a black hole (or simulating it in a miniature state for safe human use) is by far still a great vision at the moment. but mankind will reach that point in history when humans can harness the potentials of efficient energy converters like this. we won't just be around anymore to marvel at the results. but who knows, it may be just around the corner of this century as the article suggests that steps are underway to realizing it.

Steven Halking recognized the output power flux of a black whole was inversely proportional to its size. All matter that goes into a black whole will be converted to energy when it comes out. Thus there is 100% mass energy conversion as opposed to fission or fusion where only a small fraction of the mass is converted to energy. Such technology is important to the long term survival of mankind. To put it in perspective it has been said that a thimble full of anti matter will produce enough energy to launch a ship into space. Antimatter is another way to convert mass into energy with 100% efficiency. This is in contrast to the current space ships which have tanks of fuel that are many stories high. The amount of power cannot be understated. Fissionable fuel is nearly as scares as fossil fuel and water although plentiful on earth is no where near as plentiful in space. Moreover water cannot be converted to energy by fusion with 100% efficiency. It would be better to use the scarce water in the solar system to support life  then burn it all for heat. A much better alternative would be to burn the more plentifully elements in the universe such as iron. Perhaps small black wholes shot into the sun could even restart the sun after it burns out say in 10 billion years or so.

61659[/snapback]

Harnessing that power, is one of the great visions of the future of earth, yes, but we need to hurry up, the sun's only got a few billion years on it's timeclock, and we won't have forever to make these science-fiction dreams come true. Don't get me wrong, a billion years is a long time thinking day, by day, but in the long run, considering the time it's taken us to make big achievements in science, we're very far behind. If our developmental schedule is moved up by, say, 5,000 years, we'd be in much greater position to make nice fantasies like this. And until people decide to take the earth in better respect before we kill ourselves off waaayy before the normal, or expected 10 billion years from now, beause of a lack of natural resources that we suck up like kool-aid (bad analogy, but it's corny).

Science lesson over, thanks....

Panda

Steven Halking recognized the output power flux of a black whole was inversely proportional to its size. All matter that goes into a black whole will be converted to energy when it comes out. Thus there is 100% mass energy conversion as opposed to fission or fusion where only a small fraction of the mass is converted to energy. Such technology is important to the long term survival of mankind. To put it in perspective it has been said that a thimble full of anti matter will produce enough energy to launch a ship into space. Antimatter is another way to convert mass into energy with 100% efficiency. This is in contrast to the current space ships which have tanks of fuel that are many stories high. The amount of power cannot be understated. Fissionable fuel is nearly as scares as fossil fuel and water although plentiful on earth is no where near as plentiful in space. Moreover water cannot be converted to energy by fusion with 100% efficiency. It would be better to use the scarce water in the solar system to support life  then burn it all for heat. A much better alternative would be to burn the more plentifully elements in the universe such as iron. Perhaps small black wholes shot into the sun could even restart the sun after it burns out say in 10 billion years or so.

Harnessing that power, is one of the great visions of the future of earth, yes, but we need to hurry up, the sun's only got a few billion years on it's timeclock, and we won't have forever to make these science-fiction dreams come true. Don't get me wrong, a billion years is a long time thinking day, by day, but in the long run, considering the time it's taken us to make big achievements in science, we're very far behind. If our developmental schedule is moved up by, say, 5,000 years, we'd be in much greater position to make nice fantasies like this. And until people decide to take the earth in better respect before we kill ourselves off waaayy before the normal, or expected 10 billion years from now, beause of a lack of natural resources that we suck up like kool-aid (bad analogy, but it's corny).

Science lesson over, thanks....

Panda

Lol, like kool-aid, I agree though, this planet uses far to much fuel with the amount of knowledge we have. In fact harnessing that power is one of the nessescary thingds to end our fate of destruction, without the power of fuel, we will rely on nuclear energy for many things, this will contibute even more to the mess the world became after Russia colapsed and many of their nuclear bombs where stolen. We right now are so close to destruction that it isn't funny, there is something scientist refer to as the nuclear clock or something like that, when Russia colapsed it was at two to midnight, but when Nixon went into office he helped remove some of Russia's nukes, then the clock was put back to twenty to midnight, but then more bombs where taken, then there was the Love Canal, and stuff, and then Russia rose up a little, and got more Nukes, and all sorts of terrible things involving terrorism and many counties in Eurasia, and the clock was put back up to two to midnight, then about for years ago a Russian submarine hit a rock, their engine was destoryed, and eventually the Russians asked for help from the U.S. the sub was sinking, and as you may know, as depth increases in water, the pressure increases, and as they fell farther down, the walls of the suvmarine bagan to fold in, eventually they where found, but they where crushed alive, there was nothing that could be done, and to this day that sub lies there, but the submarine was carrying a nuclear bomb, the Russians agreed to let the U.S. take it for trying to save their sub, and they retrieved it and took it apart, then the clock was set to five to midnight, then north Korea came out and said they have a nuclear bomb, and the clock was set to one minute to midnight, and it is to this day, it shows how close we really, really are to our destruction...

containing a black hole (or simulating it in a miniature state for safe human use) is by far still a great vision at the moment. but mankind will reach that point in history when humans can harness the potentials of efficient energy converters like this. we won't just be around anymore to marvel at the results. but who knows, it may be just around the corner of this century as the article suggests that steps are underway to realizing it.

The article said the black hole created lasted:
million, billion, billionths of a second
There are two ways to make it last longer. There are three ways to make it last longer. They are collide either bigger ions together, collide the gold ions together or collide them together in such a way that when the black whole is formed it is traveling at relativistic speeds. The last option has the greatest potential in sustaining the black whole because during the time it is going at those speeds it could travel though a block of matter converting whatever it collides with before it slows down into energy. Additional if the processes is fast enough the black hole could grow in size. Kind of like a feeding process. What I am unclear about is if it would collide with any atoms in the chunk of matter it is fired though. I half wonder if it could tunnel through any of them instead of feeding on them. I dont know how long a black whole would have to last for and how much it would have to be feed, before it would produce enough energy to make up for the energy it took to produce it.

we'd be in much greater position to make nice fantasies like this. And until people decide to take the earth in better respect before we kill ourselves off waaayy before the normal, or expected 10 billion years from now, beause of a lack of natural resources that we suck up like kool-aid (bad analogy, but it's corny).

I dont know if it is exactly 10 billion. I know it will take 5 billion years for the sun to engulf the earth in flames as it makes its transition to a red giant. I just guessed that it would take 5 billion before it cools off. However, in 300 million years the earths oceans will boil away as the sun begins making its transition to a red giant. As for short term death of the planet, maybe but I think the earth is pretty resilient. At least the cockroach will survive. As for nuclear war, well we may be able to survive that. I dont think we are ready yet, and I do believe we should build the shelters that will allow us to do this. It is hard to imagine what it would be like post nuclear war. Maybe we would just build greenhouses and ride on the snow.
After the war both nuclear and coal plants could be rebuilt if they were destroyed. We do use a lot of energy and waste a fair amount of it. However, energy is what drives our industry and it is industry that gives us the ability to we need to produce what we want. Including cars, houses, computers and food. The importance of power cannot be understand and I believe power growth will play an important part in the economic growth of china. This will include the construction of a giant hydro dam and many nuclear plans. Also nuclear is not as bad as some people think it is. It is much clener then coal and a lot safer then many people think. I am totally pro nuclear but uranium is a finite resource too.

Hmmm, this may be dumb question but, isnt it the natural tendency of black holes to grow bigger in magnitude as matter is trapped in them? What if a self-preserving blackhole is created on earth and it spirals out of control? Will the whole planet be swallowed?

good question, casanova. :) that's scary stuff. a "self-preserving blackhole on earth" can be a nightmare. maybe those with solid background in physics can help us out here.

good question, casanova.  that's scary stuff. a "self-preserving blackhole on earth" can be a nightmare. maybe those with solid background in physics can help us out here.

Well know black holes are self preserving. They all give off halking radiation and will eventually decay to nothing. The smaller the black hole the greater the energy flux at the event horizon. I would hope that it would just take to much power and mass to create a black whole that can suck in the earth. I know the ones found in nature are more massive then our sun and the sun is much more massive then the earth. I suspect the ones we would create would only last for a fraction of a second. If they were moving fast perhaps they cold convert more mass to energy before they evaporate. I kind of want to post this stuff on a physics news group to get more opinions. Maybe I will.

A black hole is such a weird thing. The fact is, no one knows what the hell it is. All we know is that it sucks in matter at an extremely quick rate while not even letting light escape. It is amazing to think about what the hell the matter does inside the black hole. Could it be another universe? Could the matter be simply destroyed? Is the matter just melded all together? No one knows...

I say we send a space pod with a monkey and a camera into a black hole to see whats inside. The pod woul laso have a very though wire connected to it so it can transmit the signals and allow for easy retrieval.