xisto Community
ebbinger_413

Terregen Background - Comments my first

this is my first time using terregen...it is a rendering program that will generate scenery for you. this is what i came up with after a little messing around with the settings. it is a hot hazy late-afternoon on a lake shore.

heres a link to the first image...images are 1024x768 and were too big to put both as attachments so i just made them links

i had fun with the program and i liked its abilities...but i didnt like the picture that it came up with...so i took it into photoshop and manipulated it a little bit ;)

heres a link to the second image...images are 1024x768 and were too big to put both as attachments so i just made them links

... i added a sun and made the colors more brilliant...but in doing so i kinda made the picture darker...i also added some more clouds..but they dont look that great....any ideas on how to fix it ? or maybe some pointers in using terregen ?

The brightness is a little too much, and the sea is way off even looking right. If I was on dope, then I would say it looked like that, but I aint.I think you need to work at it, although your sun is looking fairly good.

like i said this was my first time messing around with terregen...i never said i was that good...i tried to fix it with photoshop...but i got lazy and bored...i think i musta been on dope when i made it ;) ... anyways...any ideas on how to fix it with terregen ?

I think both images are pretty good. One seems to blend into the background, almost making the atmosphere appear calm... yet dreary at the same time. However, I think the way you added the intricate details in the mountains make it look absolutely realistic (just *wow* -- I really can't do that, haha.). I also like the added touch of the rainbow above it. ^_^ As for the second one, I think it just really captures your attention. At first, I admit, the first thing I noticed was that whoa, it's pretty bright -- enough to hurt the eye a bit. But then when I took a glance at it a second time, I couldn't help but notice that the sun's reflection onto the water is... captivating. I can't really explain it but when I continued to stare at it, it drew me in even more and somehow, I can see the water moving... That part, I liked how you were able to get me to see that. ^_^ I also couldn't help but notice though that (unless this was intentional ^_~) the water doesn't seem pure to me (well, then again, water -- in lakes, oceans, etc. -- usually *isn't*.. really) but it seemed... what's the word... tainted -- *contaminated*. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it and look over the images once more, both sceneries seem to be polluted to me, be it the air or the waters. To me, I think that's an interesting concept to try to make -- ironic even. The landscapes itself are beautiful and yet it is clouded and degraded by the pollution that surrounds it. 'Only goes to show how industrialized countries can screw us over, huh?

Well, perhaps this concept wasn't your original intention at all (perhaps it was -- and if that was the case... whoo, I applaud you ^_^), but y'know, I really like these two images. ^__^

-- scryoko

I think both images are pretty good. One seems to blend into the background, almost making the atmosphere appear calm... yet dreary at the same time. However, I think the way you added the intricate details in the mountains make it look absolutely realistic (just *wow* -- I really can't do that, haha.). I also like the added touch of the rainbow above it. :P As for the second one, I think it just really captures your attention. At first, I admit, the first thing I noticed was that whoa, it's pretty bright -- enough to hurt the eye a bit. But then when I took a glance at it a second time, I couldn't help but notice that the sun's reflection onto the water is... captivating. I can't really explain it but when I continued to stare at it, it drew me in even more and somehow, I can see the water moving... That part, I liked how you were able to get me to see that. :P I also couldn't help but notice though that (unless this was intentional ^_~) the water doesn't seem pure to me (well, then again, water -- in lakes, oceans, etc. -- usually *isn't*.. really) but it seemed... what's the word... tainted -- *contaminated*. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it and look over the images once more, both sceneries seem to be polluted to me, be it the air or the waters. To me, I think that's an interesting concept to try to make -- ironic even. The landscapes itself are beautiful and yet it is clouded and degraded by the pollution that surrounds it. 'Only goes to show how industrialized countries can screw us over, huh?

Well, perhaps this concept wasn't your original intention at all (perhaps it was -- and if that was the case... whoo, I applaud you ;)), but y'know, I really like these two images. ^__^

-- scryoko

1064329264[/snapback]

wow...thirty posts huh...great job...you been here since june....nice...maybe next time you can try not to make such long posts to get credits...actually make sense and put some thought into what you are saying...i mean, do you actually realize what you typed ? ... rainbow? pollution? water doesnt seem pure? did you read anyo of the other posts....you couldnt even end the bold and italics you tried to use for your name! anyways (sorry m^e if its a bit off topic) i would like honest replies to these pictures....

first of all...the first image...i technically didnt make on my own...the program "terregen" as i said generated it...all i do is configure the program to make water, land, sky...and set them to w/e i want...and the program makes the image...what i wanted was to take that image and manipulate it into something beautiful. what i would like is to get some tips on using terregen and honest coments on the image that i created....

thanks...and sorry, i just had to get that out of my system.

nice first attempt, i have never used terragon but your images are far from finished just a little more experience and youll be all good to go, i think you should take out your extra clouds you added and make the sky a bit brighter maybe add some wildlife and the water doesnt look to realistic but this is pretty good for a first try

yeah, i have to download some plugins to get animal life and plant life with terregen....but i could just superimpose them in with photoshop too...it might actually look better then ;)...and yeah, i dont know what happened. in the little preview render box the water looked fine...but when i did the final render...it turned out like crap...i think i might have made the wave size too big or maybe accidently turned down the accuracy or sumtin...idk

wow...thirty posts huh...great job...you been here since june....nice...maybe next time you can try not to make such long posts to get credits...actually make sense and put some thought into what you are saying...i mean, do you actually realize what you typed ? ... rainbow? pollution? water doesnt seem pure? did you read anyo of the other posts....you couldnt even end the bold and italics you tried to use for your name! anyways (sorry m^e if its a bit off topic) i would like honest replies to these pictures....

first of all...the first image...i technically didnt make on my own...the program "terregen" as i said generated it...all i do is configure the program to make water, land, sky...and set them to w/e i want...and the program makes the image...what i wanted was to take that image and manipulate it into something beautiful. what i would like is to get some tips on using terregen and honest coments on the image that i created....

thanks...and sorry, i just had to get that out of my system.

You know... I *did* read your first post and I *was* well aware that you said that "Terregen" generated the scenery for you. However, I know very little about graphic programs and even *less* about the program, "Terregen" (I had not even *heard* of it prior to this thread). So, though yes, like you said, "Terregen" created those sceneries for you, I had thought that the sceneries created were very simple and that the person using the program (in this case, you) would have to play around with it, adding more details, making the image look better, etc. I'm sorry that I let you believe otherwise -- that I was merely sprouting lies and trying to get more credit for a longer post -- instead of "replying honestly." I believe that if a person gives feedback to another, no matter what it's about, he/she should explain what they liked or disliked about it, rather than merely exclaiming, "Cool! I really liked this a lot!!!!" or "This sux!!!" I've seen too many of these and to me, frankly, they don't really say anything about the material. What do or don't you like about it? Why? If not, what suggestions do you have to improve it? I do this with all the feedback I give.

Yes, I was perfectly aware of what I was typing -- the rainbow, pollution, impure water and everything. As a matter of fact, I still think the images look that way. I can do nothing to make you believe otherwise but what I wrote in the previous post still holds true (regardless of this particular matter). That is, the sceneries still do look polluted yet captivating in an odd manner.

-- scryoko

P.S. Oh, and as for "not knowing how to bold and italicize my name" in the last post... excuse for my *typo* on that. The bold and italicize buttons, for some reason, had not worked so I typed the HTML code in there myself. Excuse me for forgetting to put the " / " before the "b" and the "i". I was in a rush as I was finishing my post so I had not previewed the post to check for mistakes before posting it up.

yes, i do appreciate the fact that you actually said what you did and didnt like about the images. And i am sorry bout that, it just annoys me when people try to reply to posts and add all this junk into their reply that makes no sense what so ever...it helps if you know a little more about what you are talking about...and are able to back up what you say....i can understand that, even though you know the subject, and possibly even the program, that you still dont know exactly how i made the pic or what effects, so you just toss out words (such as rainbow, pollution, impure water, or w/e). i am also sorry about the typo thing, i got carried away, i too make mistakes.

I am sorry that my post seemed as if I was just tossing out nonsense (I suppose it *would* seem that way coming from the point of view of someone who knows what they're doing with computer graphics -- someone who isn't me). And yes, it really would make more sense if I had the knowledge (of computer graphics) to support my opinions on a subject. I guess I just tend to write what it is that I feel about the subject, gut feeling and all, I guess you can say, (be it an image, story, whatever) even though sometimes I cannot express it right or that it might not make sense half the time.

-- scryoko

both of your pictures came out really well.. i used terragen one time and i just never got around to using it more. I need to though. Anyway back onto the pictures.. the second one i like better just because the sun adds a lot to the picture. my only gripe is that it looks faded. i dont know if you meant it to be that way for artistic reasons but i like more contrast and strong colors coming through. I think you can have both in there since you have so much sky in the picture. Increasing the blue towards the top and fading it as it gets closer to the ground would help, or fading it back, where the things closer to the front are stronger and fade as you go back.but i do like both, really good job ;)