xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Moody

Ipod And Itunes: Two Questions

I got 2 questions regarding iPod and iTunes.First question:My friend bought a iPod Nano a few weeks ago. When you want to use it, you need iTunes. I think you all know what it is. My friend tried to download en install the most recent version. He perfectly installs iTunes, but he doesn't install Quicktime... iTunes can't work without Quicktime, so now we have a little problem...Does someone knows what we can try?Second question:The same friend has putted songs on his iPod at some friends, because he can't do it himselve, cause of the iTunes problem described above. It is been said that your iPod can only be used on one computer.... When you put your iPod into another computer, it will automaticely start iTunes and trow all songs on your iPod away. So he can't put songs on it from different computers.... Is there something to do about this problem?Great thanks in advance (from me and my friend),Moody

... iTunes can't work without Quicktime, so now we have a little problem...Does someone knows what we can try?

1064328522[/snapback]

I really can't help you with the question about docking with other computers, but about this one:

What's keeping your friend from downloading and installing QuickTime?

That is indeed very strange - I'd never known the iPODs cannot be used with more than one computer !!!!Wait a sec - my dad bought an iPoD Nano when he was down here last month and he got it filled with stuff from my computer. I even uploaded the iTunes onto it so he could go home and install. He did so and he can still transfer songs to n fro between the iPod and his own computer. I haven't received any complaints about his iPod throwing away all the songs onto his computer ??? One thing happens, I noticed - when you connect your iPod to a new system, it'll dump it's own contents onto the new system - but it doesn't wipe out the contents from it's on storage !!Also as Sarah pointed out - what is keeping your friend from installing quicktime ?? The player is all free !!

Ok, as far as I know a comuter that can run iTunes can also run QuickTime.

You get it seperately here! If that makes problems, uninstall iTunes and install it with QuickTime. You need at least Windows 2000/XP or Mac OS X, but then it should work.

–– –– –– ––

The multiple computers issue:

Apple is forced to keep you from transferring music from library to library because it is illegal!

But they did not establish an extremely good protection and there are several ways to transfer music anyway.

–– –– –– ––

1. of all your iPod can also be used as an exterior hard drive (because this is what it is :P)

The probably easiest way, is to copy the music you want to transfer on the hard drive (without using iTunes). This way you keep the folder structure and you can transfer it to any other computer.

Be sure to copy the Music to a newly created folder on first instance of the ipod, so that the folder path is: mypod>mynewfolder>**music**

Of course you can copy whatever, not only music. Don't copy it into one of the existing folders. That is difficult because some folders are shown on windows (with different invisibility settings) but not on mac and vice versa.

Advantage: easy to do and the other computer does not even need iTunes.

Disadvantage: Music can NOT be played with the iPod and if it is a lot and you don't want to delete the original iPod music database you might not have enough space.

–– –– –– ––

2. The music you have on your iPod, which is playable, can also be copied from the iPod. It is not that well protected (it was not, on the iPod photo, but I don't know about iPod nano).

The music is in an invisible folder. On windows you can show it using the "View"-options and on mac you do it with the Terminal or a third party application. If can point you to some if you want to.

Advantage: Music can be played on the iPod and be accessed over iTunes on one of the computers.

Disadvantage: The music files do not have a file organization at all. They are stored in folders by the name of "F00" till "F99" without any sorting. If you need only a particular song and you know its name, it will be easy to find, but if you want all albums by one artist, get ready for some t e d i o u s work!

–– –– –– ––

3. Use Xplay by Mediafour

I used it once in the tryout mode (has full functionality I think) and it worked fine (but slow) for me.

It will organize your iPod into a nice folder structure and you can take and give the music you want. No need for iTunes.

Advantages: no need for iTunes, files can be heard on the iPod, both computers can access them like you want to (also with iTunes still)

Disadvantage: third party application needed, does NOT exist for Mac OS X and it is neither free nor open source, so it might be quite a little behind current development all the time (driver updates etc.)

Maybe someone who has more experience with the app can say a little more.

–– –– –– ––

You should not steal music! ;)

Thanks for all the help with the first question...we'll try as soon as I see him again.As for the second question...my friend wants to instaal quicktime, that's not the problem. He uses the install program, wich installs both at the same time, but only iTunes is being installed (or quicktime is installed, but doesn't work). He told me, that he had an older version of iTunes and Quicktime before, but now (with the newer version) it doesn't work anymore.... (Actually his computer is completely broken now, cus he had deleted a file wich is important for windows to start... LOL)

I have got an iPod Mini, and according to my experience, when you install iTunes, you automatically get Quicktime installed with it. I don't know what the problem or reason is that your files are deleted when you conect to another computer, because i only connect it to this computer. But i know that when you first connect your iPod, you have to "install" it; give it a name etc. And it is configured to work with that computer from then on, i think?greetz,Michiel

Ipod syncing videosIpod And Itunes: Two Questions

I tried to sync some streamed videos from youtube onto my ipod but it said

'"(name of video)" was not copied to the iPod 'Georgina' because it cannot be played on this iPod'

What is the problem and how can I solve it?

-question by Georgina

Yeah you can get music from other computers with I tunes. when your ipod is connected to itunes click the actualy ipod, in the itunes, and then there will be check boxes underneath it in the big screen and it says "manually manage music: ckeck that box, and then you can plug it into any computer with no problem ab out your otehr stuff getting erased 

-reply by Taylor

all you have to do for problem one is to uninstall itunes and reinstall it with quick time... Not that hard.

-reply by itunes man

How to unpack songs from several folders and put into just one folderIpod And Itunes: Two Questions

A friend copied a cd onto his I-pod player but instead of putting it into one folder the I-pod put each song into individual folders, is there anyway of taking them out and putting them into one folder? Please help am going insane trying to solve this problem.

Many thanks

-question by Mr A Nutter

I have the same problem like #1, I download iTunes 9.0 but when it downloads it says something like we cannot find the network folder %appdata%/.  Something like that. That happened when the program was downloading Quicktime.