xisto Community
cyph3r

What Is The Upload Amount Of My Account ?

Just a general question about the upload part in Xisto.How much MB of upload is possible in Xisto ? I have a CMS where the default size is 2MB and they say that if i wanted to set the size to more , then i needed to contact the service provider to change the htaccess file ? is this true ?How much MB upload can a 150MB 2nd package account like mine handle ? if i need more what do i do ?RegardsDhanesh

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Just a general question about the upload part in Xisto.

How much MB of upload is possible in Xisto ? I have a CMS where the default size is 2MB and they say that if i wanted to set the size to more , then i needed to contact the service provider to change the htaccess file ? is this true ?

How much MB upload can a 150MB 2nd package account like mine handle ? if i need more what do i do ?

Regards

Dhanesh

1064328501[/snapback]

I didn't quite get your question.. Here are the possible solutions:

1. If you're talking about how much MB of data you can upload - then this is only limited by the amount of diskspace you have, i.e. 150MB for the upgrade package. You can upload or store a total of 150MB of data - whatever it be (CMS, MySQL DBs, Web Site etc.) in your hosting account. It wouldn't matter if your CMS is 2MB or 20MB - you can still upload it as long as you've got sufficient disk space. Keep in mind, everytime you upload something - the size of the total upload is deducted from your disk quota. You can get an idea of your present disk quota from the cPanel (this is updated every 24hours).

2. If it's the amount of data that can pass to and from your account to the end-user's browser (your bandwidth) you're talking about - then it's 5 GB per month. A total of 5GB of data can flow out or in from your account every month. This includes both uploads to your account and downloads from it, including web-page views.

1. If you're talking about how much MB of data you can upload - then this is only limited by the amount of diskspace you have, i.e. 150MB for the upgrade package. You can upload or store a total of 150MB of data - whatever it be (CMS, MySQL DBs, Web Site etc.) in your hosting account. It wouldn't matter if your CMS is 2MB or 20MB - you can still upload it as long as you've got sufficient disk space. Keep in mind, everytime you upload something - the size of the total upload is deducted from your disk quota. You can get an idea of your present disk quota from the cPanel (this is updated every 24hours).

1064328502[/snapback]

Thankx for the quick reply M^E .. i was looking at a possible answer for the first option. If i have a upload page and i tell the users that u can upload here .. how much can they upload to a max .. my mind varies because i am using e107 CMS and they say that the file upload limit for the user is 2 MB ONLY or depends on how much ur host is willing to allow. this is what the NOTE in admin panel says : Maximum file size

Maximum upload size in bytes - leave blank to conform to php.ini setting ( php.ini setting is 2M )

Is there a php.ini file ?

Regards

You're probably referring to the maximum upload limit PER USER - i.e. each user won't be able to upload more than 2MB. But this can be done over and over by many different users till your 150Meg gets exhausted.

I haven't used e107 - but if it's admin panel lets you set the max upload size then you can bypass this 2M limit and set it to any figure you like. If you set is to 10, each user will be able to upload 10Megs. As far as I can tell this acts like setting a quota system for each of your CMS members - so that they cannot go overboard with files and eat up your whole disk space.

You're probably referring to the maximum upload limit PER USER - i.e. each user won't be able to upload more than 2MB. But this can be done over and over by many different users till your 150Meg gets exhausted.

I haven't used e107 - but if it's admin panel lets you set the max upload size then you can bypass this 2M limit and set it to any figure you like. If you set is to 10, each user will be able to upload 10Megs. As far as I can tell this acts like setting a quota system for each of your CMS members - so that they cannot go overboard with files and eat up your whole disk space.

1064328517[/snapback]

yeap i got that part, but bottomline .. there is NO extra setting from the host side to increase the upload limit of each user ? rite .. because the CMS does not have a php.ini file , so was a little confused. And if there is a php.ini file .. where is it located ?

Regards

I don't think your max file upload size limit is directly affected by php.ini. Say, for example, take the case of IPB - the software powering our board. You've got these file-size settings in the Admin Control Panel, which lets you fix the maximum disk quota for each member as well as the max limit for a single upload. I believe even e107 will have those options and thus doesnt really have anything to do with the php.ini.

I don't think your max file upload size limit is directly affected by php.ini. Say, for example, take the case of IPB - the software powering our board. You've got these file-size settings in the Admin Control Panel, which lets you fix the maximum disk quota for each member as well as the max limit for a single upload. I believe even e107 will have those options and thus doesnt really have anything to do with the php.ini.

1064328554[/snapback]

aight .. will try this out soon then .. thankx for the prompt reply like always M^E ..

regards

Dhanesh

Err, sorry I didn't see this post earlier when I had a similar question. Somehow I always find the threads I searched for and didn't find later on in the "similar threads" section. Did this work out for you? Because then I would be wondering how... I was trying to figure out how to upload bigger data amounts than 2MB but I did not come any further than to the php.ini which is not configurable by a standard user and which defines the setting globally for every upload using PHP (+ max post size which is 63MB or something, that's the second instance in there). The only workaround I came across was a file-splitter with Java I found on the Web, but that doesn't appear good to me..Please tell me what you achieved!

If you look at here : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/85013-topic/?findpost=1064311125= you will see that Xisto allows you uploading mp3 and video files, which are rather big files, usually more than 2 megs each (provided that you owe the rights for these files). So there are no real limitations on the upload size, if you don't exhaust your disk space. And, of course, 20 megs space is only ten times 2 megs...

Ruben, when i started this thread ( i was cyph3r earlier ) i was in a state that my CMS only offered me to upload a 2 MB file .. and stated that IF i wanted to upload more through the CMS then i needed to tell my host to change the default value in php.ini ... more than 2MB.

Yordan, what ur trying to say is that asta lets you upload via FTP or HTTP through its file manager etc. But when we use php scripts like a CMS that lets users on ur site to upload a file. It limits the upload to 2MB .. unless the host changes the php.ini

I havent got a solution to mine, and your topic .. ruben .. is same as mine. I see that u were successful with your perl script, but for me i would want to use the CMS provided upload tool.

If any luck in increasing the file limit please do let us know.

Regards

Dhanesh.