xisto Community
kaputnik

Google Base: A Free Online Db For Your Content !

When I first heard of this a few days ago, it struck me as another rumor about Google that may or may not make it to the frontline. But today, I've come across way too many references to let it aside.

Google Base is supposed to be Google's brand new offering, all ready to hit the internet. So, what's it all about..?? Well it's supposed to be an online database, that is free for registered Goole users, to structure as they may please within a guideline of parameters, so that any kind of content that the user would like to share with the world becomes readily available, to be searched.

And, the thing is, it'd already be in a structure that Google wants it to be for the optimum search relevance, to show the best results. Also, the databases would be accessable to your site, and possibly to other people's sites for them to use the content.

According to a cNet article and some of the reader's comments, it may even be likely that Google akes the database accessable to users through all the other Google applications like Picasa and Google Maps, where you may possibly be able to make a table of your design and automatically upload content from each of Google's various applications, into specific tables, corelate them and make it available to whom you choose, or the world in general.

Based on this thought, it may be possible that before long, we may have a single Goolge interface that supports all the various Google services right from the basic search - right up to Google Earth and possibly your calendar and E-mail.

Here are some other articles on this (Article 1, Article 2) and a screenshot (posted at Flickr).

MMMM.. I really wonder where this'll all land up... !!! :)

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

As far as I can see, the idea is that eventually people will use Google for everything, using the computer itself merely as an entrance to Google and via them to the internet.Google will be supplying such things as databases, search engines, spreadsheets, word proccessors, email etc, thus cutting out Microsoft products like "Office". Just log into your Google account and work from there, doing virtually everything online. Of course, that's ok if you want to save money, but it will mean that everything you do will be traceable by Google, to me quite a scary option.This is one of the reasons (the main reason?) why Microsft are busy trying to upgrade MSN and buying up various companies at the moment, 'cos Bill see's whats going on!

This sounds interesting, would it be usable in ASP or PHP like a MySQL database, so you could have an easily accessible central DB for something? And I have to agree with pomjim, the stuff Google is doing is kind of scary, but to be honest, I will keep using it as long as it is free. :)

As far as I can see, the idea is that eventually people will use Google for everything, using the computer itself merely as an entrance to Google and via them to the internet.

1064327851[/snapback]

This does seem to be the direction that the net is headed towards. Soon enough, Google may just become all pervasive and have its tentacles spread into every facet of internet life.

But I can't actually imagine having to go online to do all my work, everytime I need to draft out a massive execution plan or a large promotion strategy. In view of this, I do believe that Google may have a central application up it's sleeve that it may release sometime that will facilitate local computer work which is dynamically updated to it's DB servers everytime a person logs onto the internet.

It would then become the ultimate tool for individuals to communicate with the world; in lines of what a large corporation would envision its ERP and CRM programs to be.

One would have to tools to actually dedicate certain processess, right from ordering food and groceries over the internet and dictating what time it should arrive at home, to maintaining an online business consulting presence whereby a person can outsource his/her work from whereever in the world they may be, being paid with Google credits. Wow... I'm going to sit and really do some serious thinking on these lines.

I tried logging in with my google account, but it didn't work. It always takes me back to the login page. Now, when I go to the homepage of Google base, it forces me to log in with the login page, and keeps showing the same page, so I'm sure Base isn't completed yet. I don't know why Google can't hide it from us.

Google's plan is getting more and more obvious... Before they collected data based on your searches (reasonable ok), then they moved to blogs (suspicious) and then into emails (crossed the line). Oh and then there the tool bar which spies the stuff you write in web forms and translate. By the way did you know that the toolbar sends the translated data to a google's server which returns the translation. Well neither do countless of people who have downloaded and installed this piece of spyware.But now they want us to give them readily structured data! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Imagine a discussion forum using Google DB. All your posts and membership details including emails right there neatly in googles own servers. And al they need to do is keep up the servers and convince idiot webmasters to join their service...

I tried logging in with my google account, but it didn't work. It always takes me back to the login page. Now, when I go to the homepage of Google base, it forces me to log in with the login page, and keeps showing the same page, so I'm sure Base isn't completed yet. I don't know why Google can't hide it from us.

1064327926[/snapback]

Mmmm.. Google hasn't yet officially launched Google Base just as yet. All the hulabaloo started after they put up the Google base site to test it for about a day. That's when Google watchers realized that something was up and managed to get a few screen shots of the site, and, others managed to log in too.

But, I actually look forward to Google launching the site, even if it's just to see where it all leads too and whether it half lives up to all the noise being made about it.

Mmmm..  Google hasn't yet officially launched Google Base just as yet. All the hulabaloo started after they put up the Google base site to test it for about a day. That's when Google watchers realized that something was up and managed to get a few screen shots of the site, and, others managed to log in too.

1064328017[/snapback]

Yes, Base isn't launched yet. It is still down most of the time.

Google's plan is getting more and more obvious...

Before they collected data based on your searches (reasonable ok), then they moved to blogs (suspicious) and then into emails (crossed the line). Oh and then there the tool bar which spies the stuff you write in web forms and translate. By the way did you know that the toolbar sends the translated data to a google's server which returns the translation. Well neither do countless of people who have downloaded and installed this piece of spyware.

1064327965[/snapback]

Well, what about all the other companies that provide these services? They can all take your information if you use their service. And the toolbar thing: I don't think there's any other way for Google to translate your stuff other than to send it to Google and let the server translate it. Otherwise, the download of the toolbar would have to be huge, since you'd have to download the whole translation database.