xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GameUltra

Olympus Ever Coming? When will the next era of phpBB show up?

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about what's going to be happening with the newest forum software in the phpBB line, Olympus, it's been in developlment wihtout any real progress or note of progress at all, is it still comming, and if so are we going to see a demo or anything?

Edited by HTML_Guru (see edit history)

phpBB Olypmus, or as it is referred to in search engines, phpBB3. You can find screenshots (RC1 perhaps 2) of the new system by going to area51.phpbb.com/phpbb/ and searching around. It looks as though it is going to be freeware version of IPB or vB, but with a little less features. I have tested this forum software (phpBB3) online (can't remember where) and there are a lot of features. The main Admin CP has been re-structured and loads of mods implemented.There is no release date as they believe (a long with me) that it is better not to say when it will be done, that way, they are not under stress to complete the project and don't stand to risk upsetting the community.

I'm actually very surprised on how slow they are developing it... It is supposed to be the number uno open source forums software out there and people are pretty much stuck with 4 or so year old systems. The reason why I'm surprised is that I don't think there should be any shortage on open source developers interesting doing it. Only reason I can come up with is that the project lacks proper leader. And by leader I don't mean a single person but the core group working with it. And as they develop it very slow others like Jelsoft (vBulletin), Lewis Media (SMF) and Invision keep getting their products better and better without phpBB people being able to follow. They don't want to realease a system that is just sligtly improved phpbb2, others are way more advanced now-on. Especiall Jelsoft with their vBulletin... I recently visit a couple of sites running vBulleting and man has the system been improving. They just keep coming up with fresh ideas. I used to be a phpBB man... I waited for the version 3 for a while but then as there seemed to be no progress switched to another free system. And never looked back.