xisto Community
pat23

Need Tips On Booting Faster (windows)? Need help booting up faster.

5 Minutes? I seriously hope you're exaggarating, man. I've seen Windows XP load on a Pentium-I system with only 32MB, and it took about 3-4 minutes. Yes, I know Windows XP requires 64MB RAM minimum, but that's only at the installation phase. After that, you're on your own, but it's not pretty.So tell me more about your hardware and the operating system you're using. I mean unless they're as old as KFC, there must be something terribly wrong with them. But anyway, maybe we can work something out.

No actually i am not exaggarating, i am runing Win XP service pack 2 with a 256MB stick of ram, i plan to buy a 1Gig one next month. but since like two months ago it has taken about forever to start up.

SP2 slows things down a good bit, but 5 minutes is pretty ridiculous. Do you have a boot virus scan or scandisk type program running? Try disabling those. Also, search around for a registry fix that makes WinXP log you in automatically, that saves a few seconds. Scan for spyware and also use msconfig to see what programs are running on startup, those slow you down. Other than that, try defragging you hard drive and just generally tuning up your PC.

retaining is right. it used to take mine a while to load up until i stopped some programs from loading on startup it booted a bit quicker.the 256mb does make a difference as well as your antivirus and firewall. I used to use norton anitvirus and compared with the entivirus i use now, norton took forever and slowed down boot up noticeably. so in all reality there are a lot of factors, but your best bet is msconfig and checking for viruses and spyware.. and that extra gig of ram will help :mellow:

gamerchick may be right about your antivirus software. I worked on one computer that had either Norton or Mcaffee on it, and it started nearly as slowly as yours. Once I got rid of that, the whole computer operated much quicker.Here's another tip: try starting your computer in safe mode. It will not load all the unnecessary programs that normally start up when you turn on your computer. This might help you diagnose the problem.

Well i took off Yahoo and MSN Messenger from auto starting at startup and a few other progtams, i did a disk defrag and a full virus scan. and it is loading a little faster but still like 3 mins.

I don't know whether it works on such slow machines, but you can change the prefetch parameter in regedit. It realy helpes a lot on my system (the green bar on get 3/4 of the length instead of passing 3 times :) )open regedit (run>regedit)go to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParametersand change the key 'EnablePrefetcher' to 5.

I think it's related to the Prefetch feature in XP. What the prefetch folder does is that it contains a list of current programs that you run (frequently?). So basically if you run some program more often than others, Windows will give that a higher priority. The said program should load faster than usual. But there is a limit. If the prefetch folder gets too big, it can/will slow down Windows. So it's not a bad idea to empty out that folder from time to time.

Thanks, I'll try that prefetch registry key. I've disabled a lot of things, but still it seems like mine takes a few mins too boot up. I only have like 4 things starting up in my msconfig. Maybe it's some of the services that starts up. Not too sure, but I'll end up formatting sometime soon. I hate it when it slows down.

What exactly does the prefetcher do, Wutske? I've seen the folder "prefetch" during my many ventures into the systems folders, but I've always just assumed it had something to do with the Internet.

1064326433[/snapback]

Microsoft actually has a free utility to speed up your boot time. It has helped me in the past. I forgot what is was called thouhg. Try searching for it on the microsoft website. Also there are registry hacks to get rid certain things like the "windows" screen that appears before windows loads. You can also try switchins the login screen to the old classic style and eliminating unneeded tasks that execute on start up (run > msconfig). Also if you have alot of fonts installed, this can greatly slow down your boot time. Try storing your fonts in another folder and only install them as you need them. Just be sure to leave the default fonts in there and any fonts that are required by your applications (or just ones that you use frequently). Clean your registry. I fyou have installed and unistalled alot of programs you might have alot of random crap in there that isn't needed. I use a program called TweakNow RegCleaner for this.