xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ebbinger_413

How To Share Inernet Connection Over Switch 3com 24-port switch

was at a rummage sale a while back and picked up some of these 3com 24-port switches for about a buck a piece....they are only 10mb but they work fantasticly....i want to share inernet connection over them....was at a lan party recently and they used the same thing and the guy told me just to run the inernet connection over a crossover into the 1st port on the hub....then it will automaticly be shared....is that how...cause some other people are saying to just bring the internet in on the uplink (either port 1 or 24 - not sure) and think it will be automaticly shared....what is it ?

Ok, I haven't used a 24-port yet, but here's how it works on my other 4- and 8-ports. You hook the Internet line into the router (whether it's a normal phone line for dial-ups, or a RJ-ended cable for DSL, etc.). From the router, you hook another cable to the first port of the switch. Now your switch supposedly has access to the Internet. So now, for each computer in your network, you hook one cable into an empty port of your switch. And that's it for me. Try it. I think it's the same for all switches. Good luck! :mellow:

I did as u did, but it doesnt works !

How To Share Inernet Connection Over Switch

Replying to Tamer78Aly

Dear Tamer Aly,

I found your article through yahoo search.

I was searching for help on "Sharing DSL with Switch".

I read your article, the procedure you wrote is good enough to try.

But its not working on my end. But you said that it works.

Here is what I done for that.

I have an ADSL connection. I wanted to share it with three computers.

I brought a switch having 5 ports.

I hooked the phone line in the ADSL MODEM.

From the ADSL MODEM, I hooked the ETHERNET CABLE ( straight through ) to the SWITCH.

Then from the SWITCH I connected another ETHERNET CABLE ( Straight through ) to one computer (PC-1). It worked.

Then from the SWITCH I connected one another ETHERNET CABLE ( straight through ) to another computer (PC-2), but it not worked.

I checked all of the ports of the SWITCH, they all are working.

Can you guess, whats wrong in my setup.

Please if you can solve it or can give me any handy solution for that.

I have a link, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you go to it and see the FIGURE-2 in it, you will find it a little bit different than your and my setup.

I hope you may resolve it.

With thanks.

Reply me on xklojx@gmail.Com

-Knacky Kloj