xisto Community
wutske

Hosting Problems Too much downtime a loss of credits

I have 2 little problems. First is the uptime of my site. It's realy low. A few minutes ago, I could access my site, I changed a poll on it and suddenly the site was down again.
I can't access anything, not even cpanel. I'm having this many times. I can access my site and suddenly it's down.

I'm on panda btw and my site is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, running geeklog 3.11 and gallery 1.5rc1.

The other problems is: how long are your days. 1-2 days ago I had 30days remaining and I have only 21 days left ??????? That's not funny, if you rely on it, go on vacation and you come back and your hosting has been removed :blink:
Could you fix it, because I feel like I've been robbed (I 'earned' my 30 days of spare days, how would you feel if somebody took your vacation days :mellow: )

Edited by HTML_Guru (see edit history)

The other problems is: how long are your days. 1-2 days ago I had 30days remaining and I have only 21 days left ??????? That's not funny, if you rely on it, go on vacation and you come back and your hosting has been removed  :P

Could you fix it, because I feel like I've been robbed (I 'earned' my 30 days of spare days, how would you feel if somebody took your vacation days  :mellow: )

1064326049[/snapback]

I'm going to rewrite this part because of baaad english.(no post count, so doesn't realy matter).

The problem is, yesterday (or the day before) I had 30 days/credits, but today, I only have 21 days left :blink: . I feel a litlle bit 'robbed' because I've lost my spare days and I do rely on them (I try to come here every 2 days, but just in case).

This is much better english, isn't it :huh: (and sounds less mad/aggressive)

First, your not the only one who is with the credits system.Credits are reduced when a spam post of yours is deleted. I recently deleted all the posts which required to be adjusted. And I think there was one of your topics too. Credits system is perfect and no one loses credits for no apparent reason.As for the Server Uptime, Its been happening since a few days. All these months, Ask Anyone if they had any problems. Our network is facing DDOS attacks and PANDA server is now quite used to Bruteforce attacks too. We are trying our best to solve the issue and we don't enjoy or gain any extra profits by keeping the server down. So, be patient while we are trying our best to rectify the issue.Thanks.

First, your not the only one who is with the credits system.

Credits are reduced when a spam post of yours is deleted. I recently deleted all the posts which required to be adjusted. And I think there was one of your topics too. Credits system is perfect and no one loses credits for no apparent reason.

As for the Server Uptime, Its been happening since a few days. All these months, Ask Anyone if they had any problems. Our network is facing DDOS attacks and PANDA server is now quite used to Bruteforce attacks too. We are trying our best to solve the issue and we don't enjoy or gain any extra profits by keeping the server down. So, be patient while we are trying our best to rectify the issue.

Thanks.

1064326056[/snapback]

wutske: To reenforce OpaQue's statement, my site (also on panda I believe) has also been out for the better part of 24 hours. It looks like a couple other folks have reported it as well. Several other sites I use on a regular basis (outside of Xisto) are also affected, some are not.

opaque: On the shoutbox a day or too ago, someone suggested the free hosting was short on Linux admins. If this is true, I would be happy to lend a hand. My physical condition is up and down, but when I'm up, I'm happy to help. I recently ran Diversity Ink's servers as a volunteer and have done a lot of miscellaneous adminning, including at the five-sided puzzle palace. I also program (perl, python, C/C++, shell, various markup languages, etc.). I obviously cannot do site development until the problem is resolved, so I may as well pitch in.

OpaQue, is DDOS Distributed Denial of Service? If so, have you tried:

https://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/ddos/, under Defensive Tools.

1064326232[/snapback]

The tools on that site seem to be mostly for getting rid of DDOS clients, trojans and worms on your own system, not for getting rid of zombies on someone else's system attacking you. I do not know what RID is precisely, but, in a stroke of irony, their site is timing out.

Unfortunately, dealling with attacking zombies is mainly a process of trying to identify as many of the attacking systems (or networks) and get their provider to pull the plug or route them out upstream. Many of the DDOS attacks these days look like legitimate traffic and may be flooding *upstream* from you where changes to your own system or routers has no real effect. To top things off, the packets often have spoofed source addresses.

One of the really annoying things these days is to send a bad packet somewhere else (usually many different places) with your source address spoofed so that the NAKs all get sent back to you. You do not have the original bad packet, so you cannot analyze it to determine its origin. All the servers being sent the bad packets don't get enough of a traffic increase to know that anything is wrong.

Personally, I think all the routers should be configured to drop any packets coming from a Windows box. That would get rid of 99.99% of all the zombies right there. :)

I'm having trouble accessing my site @ mooreo.astahost.com I emailed the support, and it didn't help any. I was below 0 credits for a few days, but I've mainained sufficient amount of credits for the past week. Any suggestions?

I'm having trouble accessing my site @ mooreo.astahost.com  I emailed the support, and it didn't help any.  I was below 0 credits for a few days, but I've mainained sufficient amount of credits for the past week.  Any suggestions?

1064326731[/snapback]

N/m, apparently it was just down or something. First time I had the opportunity to check anything was today, so I just thought it hadn't came back up yet. Maybe after I emailed the support they fixed it. All in all, sorry, and where's the edit button? Are we not allowed to edit in here, or do I have to change something in preferences?

Minnieadkins, the edit button was removed because people found a way which they could abuse it.

Here's what they'd do:

Look at the topic which they were to reply to and write a decent response in notepad and copy it onto the clipboard

Reply with a totally irrelevant and spammy post

Click edit, erase the orignial post contents and paste the sensible reply they made earlier

What they discovered what that the system would not re-count the credits when an edit was made. People would abuse this and gain hundreds of credits, never revisit this host and if this had continued, down goes free web hosting from xisto!

Minnieadkins, the edit button was removed because people found a way which they could abuse it.

<explanation snipped>

1064327372[/snapback]

Aaah! That's what made the admins and our dear leader remove the button! I've been wondering why and this explains it. A workaround for a rightful edit request has been posted eleswhere on this fine site. Quite funny and smart, some of these exploits!

Man, sometimes I really long for the day where I can learn some administration stuff with other languages and web development things. I want to help others and companies - or even just volunteer, but it's not like we can just learn stuff in one day.So, where can you learn all this stuff? From the Internet?