xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nykegodess

How To Format Your Flash Disk/ Diskettes Formatting your flash or diskette

Now sometime your flash disk or diskette might have corrupt data, don't worrry just format it. follow these simple steps:1. Double click "My Computer" on your desktop. It opens a window with all the available disks.2. Right-click, your "Removable Disk" or "3 1/2 Floppy"3. Then click "Format" it would bring out a window4. you can either choose "Quick Format" option to make the formatting faster.5. then click the format buttooon. it formats the drive.When it finishes it show you the "format complete" dialog, click "ok" and it is done.you have a formatted disk

Dear,I have followed your instructions but it giving me this:capacity:unknow capacityfile system: FATAllocation unit size: Default allocation size and if a press startit gives windows was unable to complete-kasongo

Very helpful for those who don't know how to format. LoL I haven't used a floppy disk for years, flash drives FTW! :P Also depending on the size of your flash drive you may want to use NTFS instead of FAT. The maximum file size that can be stored on a FAT drive is 4GB, where as NTFS is unlimited.

Even I haven't used floppies since ages!Most flash drives don't have more than 4GB capacity. So no question of NTFS here.I tried formatting my transcend JetFlash and I gave me these two options: FAT or FAT32What is the difference between the two. Also I would like to know the difference between a normal format and a quick format. The quick format is really very quick!Update:I did some googling myself and came to the conclusion that when you run a normal format, it deletes all your files and check the entire disc for bad errors. But when you try to quick format it, it does not check for those bad sectors.Checking for bad sectors takes up most of the time. therefore it can take even longer if the disc actually has bad sectors!It is advisible to check your dissc for bad sectors once in a while if you had earlier used quick format. If you instaled WindowsXP on a partition that was formatted by using the Quick format option, you can also check your disk by using the chkdsk /r command after the installation of WindowsXP is completed.

Edited by angad619 (see edit history)

Trap Feedbacker,What are you trying to format?Without that information, I can't really help you. Keep in mind that this is a 2 year old topic :)

Very helpful for those that do not know how to format, or have just started on computing. I only ever format my harddrives if I am starting Windows Fresh or doing a Quad Boot! Keep up the good work in making good tutorials. Maybe start adding images to improve the quality.

flash disc not formattedHow To Format Your Flash Disk/ Diskettes

When I formatted ( full )  my USB Flash Drive 64GB I am left with a problem. In My  Computer when I click on the properties for my drive it comes up as RAW.

I have no access to this and would appreciate any help I can get.

Floppy Format.How To Format Your Flash Disk/ Diskettes

I did the steps listed above. When I do that my computer freezes oon me and I can't get the format done. Is there anything else you can suggest.

-reply by Aleksandra