xisto Community
sickgrrl723

AOL Instant Messenger Chain Virus Has anyone else been hit by this?

yesterday, i was chatting with a friend and she sent me a link to what looked like a photo file... when i opened it, it turned out to be a virus... which in turn, automatically messaged all the people online on my buddy list the link and then closed all chat windows..... does anyone know what this is? and if so, how do i fix it?

yesterday, i was chatting with a friend and she sent me a link to what looked like a photo file... when i opened it, it turned out to be a virus... which in turn, automatically messaged all the people online on my buddy list the link and then closed all chat windows..... does anyone know what this is? and if so, how do i fix it?

1064324392[/snapback]

You should probably pick up a copy of norton anti-virus, it catches code in webpages that does things to your computer you dont want it to do. I have been using it since 2002 and I havent cought a virus since.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

Sm0k3y Mcl3uD

basic worm virus that uses MSN, AOL or whatever IM service. Most of them are .com's .bat's or .pif's.Most im based virusses work that way, using msn to spread itself further.Can't really imagine why noone ever takes the time to check out what file is received before opening it :|.If you want to fix it, you have to find out what file it sends, then you can look up the name in google then you can find out the worm's name, then you can get a fix-tool

sickgrrl723 mentionned that the file seemed to be a photo file. This means that the file was probably a .jpg or a .gif file, or a photo.html file. opening a picture file is what most of people send, and when they receive a photo they want to look at it. the question is : how is it possible to send a virus in a photo file ?The only way I see is the file being name picture.jpg.exe, and the default explorer options being set as "mask the extension for known programs", and then "photo.jpg.exe" appears as "photo.jpg"

If ti's the virus I think it is, it says something like "Am I pretty" and on anothe rline has a link to a file that you would think is an image, but it ends in a .com extension. For most of the recent ones of these viruses, AVg will get it.~Viz

it was a .bat file... i googled it and managed to find a way to get it off the computer... thank you guys for all your helpful suggestions! i really appreciate it... now if i could manage to get my site back up....

hey, the same thing happened to me, but when i ran AVG on my computer it claimed it found no virus. i then tried to open AIM again only to have the flow of im's coming out again, unable to stop them unless i sign off. any thoughts?thank you

That reminded me to put in a new antivirus program. I recently got my computer back and they had AVG installed in it, but I'm not to keen on it. But for some reason it wasn't working anyway. But, I was going to give AntiVir a try. I've heard some good things about them. Only thing I'm not sure about is it was free, but it says it expires so i guess maybe it is just a trial period or I downloaded the wrong one. My girlfriend would go nuts if her instant messenger went haywire though, so I have to make sure I have some sort of protection :lol:

A .bat isn't an image file. I make sure I don't open anything that could possibly harm my computer. I don't have much protection, just spyware mostly. I did have AVG installed, but after the format I haven't reinstalled. I guess I need to get something back on there.Don't open .exe's especially, but steer clear of .bat's as well. A friend of mine said soemthing once about embeding a virus inside of an image, but the image file was fairly large. Good thing I haven't encountered a messenger virus yet, I wasn't even aware of them lol.

Edited by minnieadkins (see edit history)

Virus

AOL Instant Messenger Chain Virus

How to get rid of from this virus named as picture.Jpg. It will being making many files named as my picture.Jpg, my picture.Jpg, my picture.Jpg,

Please solve my problem.

Danish attari

-reply by Danish

anti virus progs

AOL Instant Messenger Chain Virus

I have a Tesco (Panda software) anti virus programme on my pc, my son's and my laptop. It's a pain in the butt when it's downloading to update (daily) but it catches everything. It stops spyware, hacking in, and the rest.

I was going to get a new system, but I appreciate the work it does to protect my system.I do a regular check-up as well as the automatic one.

I was surprised at just how many attempted intruders try to get through aol, yahoo and msn and windows live messenger.

It was not an expensive programme but jolly well worth the buy!