xisto Community
ASR1405241491

Fingerprinting Technology Using fingerprints as credit cards

But can't eyeprint scanners easily be fooled by people wearing special contact lenses?

I think the method you suggested is too long, and would be quie inconvenient for the consumer.

1064325021[/snapback]

The first thing most people don't realize is that there is no such thing as complete security. If there was, the government wouldn't have to worry about security so much. Anytime access is allowed for someone, it's possible for others to get in.

As to my suggestion of "handshake" security, it really only needs to be applied to times when you aren't physically using your bank/credit card. Such as over the phone, or over the internet. That's how *most* identity theft is done. Like the person that mentioned having a info about a credit card that they never used stolen. And it's simple enough feature that that could be done on an ATM, or possibly a computer that directly connects to a bank (not through the internet).

Just think, since most people use ATM's fairly often, it wouldn't be that much of a deal to select an option like "pending transactions" and approve/deny them. Or if a bank used callback security for computer transactions that go through a modem. Callback security is good, because not only is it simple, but a hacker would have to have access to the telephone company, or a direct connection to your housephone to access. Callback security is handled like this:

1: Your computer calls the bank, and tells it your account number (or login info).

2: Once the bank gets the info, it hangs up, and calls the phone number associated to the account.

3: Your computer answers, and then you can do transactions like normal from your computer.

It all relies on the fact that it would be difficult to get the phone company to transfer the call to another number without it being detected.

But you are correct in the fact that most people think that any security that takes any more of thier time is too much.

-YB

But can't eyeprint scanners easily be fooled by people wearing special contact lenses?

I think the method you suggested is too long, and would be quie inconvenient for the consumer.

1064325021[/snapback]

I forgot to answer in my other post, yes eyeprint scanners can be fooled, but not easily. You don't leave your eyeprints everywhere. It's not just the color of the eye that the scanner checks, it also checks the lines in your eyes that are as unique as your fingerprints, if not even more unique. Also, eyeprint scanners use a very high resolution digital scanner. You couldn't get an eyeprint from an ordinary photo.

From what I know of the technology, the only way to fake it, would be if you could get a real eyeprint from that person, either from an eye scanner, or a high resolution closeup picture of that person's eyes. And that would be difficult to get.

-YB