xisto Community
pomjim

Windows Bad? I Think Not.

true, but remember the X server? KDE? GNOME?, users now DO NOT need to use the command line to do stuff. It is now optional. Linux could be configured by a newb using YaST (SuSE), Anaconda (Fedora Core). Linux is no longer hard to configure, people have spent who knows how many hours to make it easier for other users. Linux has came from a server-oriented OS to desktop system. Soon, Linux software can be found in stores.

Installing the NVIDIA drivers isn't really hard (on SuSE):

suinit 3
./NVIDIAfilename.run
follow the instructions
sax2
init 5

DONE!

The only thing I don't like about Linux is that its software depends on too much shared library, sometimes pisses me off cause sometimes I install it at school, when I forgot to install an app that I need on my laptop, and I don't have that much time to search for the depenency (this is the only thing I don't like about Linux).

xboxrulz

ok, but still, there are many programs that still need command line to install. And, ATI drivers are a bit harder to install, especialy if you don't know how things work :blink: (like me :huh: ).I don't say Linux is bad, it just needs a bit of time to get it working good :mellow:

kinda not true, look at the gaming industry. The only way you can sell the games is if you have a great game. When you sell software, you must write great software, but now, why do people pay for crappy software?Wutsky, on SuSE Linux all RPM files can be installed/uninstalled graphically, no command line work.Dependency is what drives some people away from Linux. xboxrulz

I've personally always used Windows. Well, and dos back in the 3.X days. I'd love to get into linux, but right now I have so much stuff on my pc (and no dvd rw, that I can't back it all up. I've burned all kinds of cds but I end up losing everything. Not to mention I'm on dial-up. Takes forever to redownload drivers, and all the extra freeware software (for windows). I'd like to make a partition and install Linux. I've never actually used any form of linux, and I downloaded a free version of Red Hat I believe. I just never got around to installing it. Maybe one day.Microsoft however, has always been alright in my book. Sure they buggy, but their website offers all kinds of information about problems with their software and OS. They continously updating their OS. Linux would be just as good or better, but I haven't had the opportunity to use it. Xp has turned out to be a good OS, in my opinion.