xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow X

Install Errors.

Okay I have a prob. I just got my Xisto account (which by the way is great!). Well anyway, I'm trying to install a forum via FTP. First I tried to get an SMF forum. I uploaded everything, did everything right, I then went to the URL to try and install it and it said 'HTTP 404 Not Found' as the title and 'The page cannot be found'. At first I though I did something wrong or that there something wrong witht the file so I tried to install an IPB forum this time. I uploaded everything, did everything right, but then when I went to the instal URL it said exactly the same thing. So now I think that there is something wrong with my account or my FTP server. I'm using SmartFTP by the way, any help? Thanks.

Uhm my personal guess is - you uploaded it all to a folder in your home directory. Everything that should be visible on the web should be placed in public_html

Why don't you upload the .gz files into your cPanel instead? SMF has a .gz install package that you can download. Download that and then go back to cPanel and create a folder under your public_html folder for SMF (call it SMF if you want). Now upload that single SMF .gz file to that folder. Login to cPanel and click on that .gz file. Then on the right panel, click on Extract file. That should extract all of the files. After that you should run the install.php file from your browser to run the installation.