xisto Community
Zony

Best Forum System

gawd i hate phpbb so much, how can you like it? i dont like it because i got to use vbulletin once :) and with all those features i just got bored of phpbb really fast.

Best forum system?
What does best mean? Fast, high security/reliable, or something else.
You may know many popular PHP forums. So I'm not going to re-mention them.

I think you should check out this Java forum. It's very fast.

http://www.mvnforum.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t

Costs Money: VbulletinFree/SQL based: Invision Power BoardFree/non-SQL: YABBI've used IVP quit a bit, but currently am using YABB2 on my site since it is not widely used and I am using the member ship text file to enable users to PERL script somewhere else. Since everyone disallows connection to MySQL from remote locations and I'm not ready to spend the big $$ on a dedicated server, it works for my needs. Invision is a pretty powerful BBS without the security flaws that plagued phpBB.

If you are just starting your first forum, I recommend using PHPBB.. It's very nice looking, still not VBulletin quality, but personally I prefer posting on PHPBB sites over sites that use VB.But, if you want to get a little more creative, and have more knowledge in PHP, give Burning Board a shot. They have a pay version as well as a Lite (free) version. I've used the Lite version, and it's more like VBulletin in my opinion. I was able to customize my board to look very nice. Much nicer than I could have done with PHPBB. The pages load fast and there is a more in-depth admin panel. If you got the cash, get the pay version. There is an extensive amount of add-in's you get access to which will make your site even better. The Lite version has Mod's too, but I assume the pay version get's more support.Burning Board: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/:'>http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ them both, mess with the admin panel, and go from there is what I recommend. (btw, personally I wouldn't advise you to use Invisionboard, it's nice but you can achieve a more professional look with WBB or PHPBB, and I think the page loadtime is faster) I hope this information helps you.Ho

I say Quicksilver Forums is the best forum software out there since it's easily scripted, translated and it's the fastest forums software I've ever used (I'm a forum dweller so I know and used many forum software). I've also been with them ever since its inception. Heck, I helped them split off the main Mercuryboard tree.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I've just noticed this.

Free/SQL based: Invision Power Board

I must say you are mistaken, since IPB is not free. It was before, but now you have to pay for it. Nevertheless, there can still be found IPB versions that were once free, but they are illegal to download and use. However, if you aquired an IPB version when it was free, you have all rights to use it. The last one that was free was 2.0.0, but it could be found only for a short period, and it has "Trial" at the bottom (even though it is fully functional).

Can you guys tell me what you think are the best forum system? I like phpbb personal, but invision is good enought to. :D

I like SMF as this the only free and professional looking bulletin board software.

Very familiar with phpBB. I can get what I need with easy modifications, and it has the right feel. I will agree that, by default, invision and vbulletin got more and very nice features and the phpBB dev team is quite slow (the newer version should have been here about 2 years ago orso, stopped following progress).

I would say that VBulletin is probably the top of the range, best forum software on the market... it has every feature you could want, is fully customisable and very professional.On the other hand if you want a free forum software - you can't go past phpBB... it's fast, very customisable with heaps of features - and best of all - it's free!Of course there are many other alternatives out there such as invision but you might just have to go and look around and find out which ones best for you.

For those as lucky as me, IPB 1.3 is a great forum software. The reason I said lucky is because it's no longer availible, however those that downloaded it during it's free period got a great piece of software. Aside from that, PhpBB is good, due to it being open source, and comes in second, SMF isn't fully open source, but's it's close and good enough for most people, and is secure and powerful, so I award it 3rd place, and that's all my opinions.