xisto Community
jedipi

Update Your Firefox! Another flaw has been found in Firefox

Another flaw has been found in Firefox browser.This exploit affects Unix/Linix systems, not Windows.And the latest version 1.07 contains a fix.You guys, who are using older version in Unix/Linix systems, should update your firefox as soone as possible.It shows that firefox is just not saft enough.It has good track record just simply because it wasn't used enough.Firefox browser is as vulnerable as any other popular browser on the market.

I've been saying that about Linux and Macs too, but no one will believe me! thanks for the warning, as I don't use my Linux box too muxh I probably wouldn't have found out for a while. Is this another full install update or is 1.07 finally a true update? And do you know if they are releasing 1.07 for Windows or if Linux and Windows will be out of sync on version numbers?~Viz

I can actually answer my own questions! Yes there is a 1.0.7, yes it installs over preceeding versions like a true update. On the other hand, so does 1.5 beta, which is insanely fast, so I recommend simply getting 1.5 beta.~Viz

It shows that firefox is just not saft enough.

1064323246[/snapback]

How can you say that?

Firefox has hardly a fraction of the security flaws of Internet Explorer. Yes, as it becomes more popular, more people are going to find flaws in it, but I think it is much better than the competition regardless.

With Internet Explorer, they find a new security flaw in it nearly everyday.

With Internet Explorer, they find a new security flaw in it nearly everyday.

Not to start a browser war or anything (as a matter of fact, if one starts this topic will be closed) but, do you have any data to back up your claim?
Also, popularity has a lot to do with how many flaws are found. It is a simple law of computer science that as soon as you give a user any control over a system, you immediately have at least one security hole. Any fix of that hole invariably creates at least one more. Because windows is so popular and is so hated, many malicious code writers focus their attention on it, causing more security flaws to be found.

Because the source to firefox is available to anyone, creating code that takes advantage of blatant security is easier, but blatant security flaws can be tracked down and fixed more easily as well. However, if you refer to CS principle 2 from above, the fixing of the blatant security flaw creates at least one more security flaw. If this one is blatant and gets fixed, new security flaws are created and fixed recursively until a non-bltant security flaw is created that someone can finally make use of.

The only difference is that response time in firefox is faster do to the opensource nature, but since its release less than two years (I'm talking about the release of version 1.0) it has required 7 new minor version releases. Internet Explorer, while having many hotfixes an patches (most of which were very particular and really only needed to be installed by select people making use of certain interfaces between IE and other programs) has had maybe one minro version release.

Just some food for thought to explain both sides and hopefully prevent a browser war.

In conclusion, do not make grand statements without providing evidence. All of my statements can be found at the microsoft website by looking at updates released and at the firefox website by looking at their updates released. Except the CS principles, which, like the Laws of Thermodynamics and Energy, can be found in numeorus trustworthy locations around the net and in several largeCS publications.

~Viz

Although Firefox is a great browser but it is too early to say that it has very less flaws in it. The first choice for all the security breaking activities is Internet Explorer. But still it is a good competition to IE and I hope that due to firefox microsoft can think to chaning the source code of IE which is stiill years old.

It shows that firefox is just not saft enough.

I don't recall Firefox ever claiming that they had created a *perfect* Web browser. Had they been able to make that claim, they'd surely be charging arms, legs and large toes for their program.

But I still prefer it over "the big two" because a) it crashes less often (a LOT less often, actually), B) I've had to remove significantly LESS spyware/adware from my computer since switching over (we're talking a drastic reduction here - somewhere in the 70-90 percent range would be my guess), and c) I like the convenient features, such as the tabbed browsing.

Yes, security flaws will happen. That's true no matter WHAT programs we use on the Internet. Programmers can only cover our butts to a certain extent. After that we have to make sure that we take the appropriate steps and measures to secure our systems.

the security flaws on all browsers have been know for sometime. it was a matter of making fixes that does not disrupt services that the users want. i like firefox but i hope someday they work on the memory leaks issues.

As stated by vizskywalker popularity of a program, or in IE and MS programs in general, the forced use of software will cause the security flaws to be made very public and very easy to use to those that want to use them.The fact that FireFox has fewer security flaws is a testament to the OpenSource nature of the project and the comunity formed around it. Also the fact that MS IE has so many patches and fixes is a testament to the fact that so many people use it, and so many others want to exploit the unknowing/uneducated that use it, only goes to prove that no matter how you look at it eventually anyone that wants to cause mischief, steal, or harm someone else will find a way to do it.Yes the programers/companies that put out software could do a better job of coding (cutting out bloat) and security, but also stated by vizskywalker no matter how "secure" you make something someone will find a flaw and exploit it, not to mention the fact that the minute you put a human infront of a terminal there is your biggest security flaw to start with.There are 2 major security holes in any system: 1 is the computer opperator that has any sort of access, and 2 is if it is connected to any sort of network. Yes the software being run can cause problems but the human part of any equation is the biggest hole in security.