xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
troyilicious82

Another Storm To Hit New Orleans?

Another Storm Possible in Hard-Hit Region

Katrina may seem like the last word in hurricanes, but there is a very real possibility that another major hurricane may hit New Orleans or some other portion of the 200-mile coastline devastated by Katrina in the weeks to come.

"We're not out of the woods yet," said Susan Cutter, director of the University of South Carolina Hazards Research Laboratory. "We're not even in the height of hurricane season."

A forecast released Friday by meteorologists at Colorado State University calls for six more hurricanes by the time the hurricane season ends on Nov. 30, three of them Category 3 or above. On average, about one major hurricane in three makes landfall in the United States.

"We expect that by the time the 2005 hurricane season is over, we will witness tropical cyclone activity at near record levels," the Colorado State meteorologists wrote.

So far there have been four hurricanes this year â Katrina, Irene, Emily and Dennis, a Category 3 storm that caused more than $1 billion in damage to the Florida panhandle in July. There have been nine tropical storms.

That puts this season's tropical cyclone activity to date above the average for an entire year, the Colorado State forecast noted. In a more normal year, Mother Nature has produced about a third of her annual allotment of hurricanes and tropical storms by this point in the season.

No major storms currently threaten the U.S. coastline. The latest report from the

National Weather Service mentions only Tropical Storm Maria.

"Maria could be near hurricane strength by Sunday," said Jack Beven, a meteorologist at the

National Hurricane Center in Miami.

The storm is not currently expected to reach the U.S. mainland.

The number and intensity of hurricanes is largely determined by water temperatures at the sea surface. This year the waters of the tropical Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico are about as warm as they ever get.

If a major hurricane were to make landfall somewhere on the U.S. coast in the next two months, with the situation in Louisiana and Mississippi still demanding such a large portion of the nation's emergency management resources, mounting another relief effort would certainly be more difficult than usual. But as Florida demonstrated when four hurricanes passed through the state in seven weeks last year, repeated storms are not necessarily unmanageable.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-----Added quote tags in the post. Please do not make posts 100% not by you in the future-----szupie

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

That would be really devastating to the people of New Orleans, I mean a real morale crusher. I'm not sure how much more damage it could do though. I mean the superdome is already filled with water, people have no food or drinking water, it's just a bad situation all around.People have no way out. Most people that had to stay for Katrina only did it because of money reasons. There's no way they can get everyone out in the next few weeks if that is going to hit.My prayers go out to all of those that live there.

This is just the beginning of Hurricane season. Really serious questions need to raised when it comes time to rebuild. Mainly, Should New Orleans be rebuilt at all? Move the population zones out of town on to higher ground and maybe just have a downtown business district. Really it doesn't matter if the levees were built to with stand a Cat 5 Hurricane, you don't screw around with mother nature because mother nature will win every time especially with water.I grew up in St. Louis and remember the floods of '93. Today in the Chesterfield valley a new shopping superplex has been built with Wal-Mart's, Sams, Target, Movie theaters, you name it it's there. About 200 Million in development in the last 5 years. I remember when all that area was under 30 feet of water for a month and it will happen again. We don't seem to remember these things.

Not like I mean to accuse anyone in particular, but IMO the flooding of New Orleans brought out another side of America; the decaying moral values that the U.S. self-righteously accuses others of. It's appaling to read or watch the news, and while a certain amount of anarchy is to be expected after a disaster, New Orleans went way past that. Widespread looting, shooting of police officers, hell, even shooting at the air ambulances and those trying to bring them aid. Martial law, curfews, and shoot-on-sight orders are what need to be in place there now. Compare the aftermath with that of the Tsunami in Asia. both caused enormous amounts of suffering and hardship, the Tsunami much more so than Katrina. But did those whose lives and homes were destroyed by the Tsunami react in the same way that the U.S. did? Not even close.

Really serious questions need to raised when it comes time to rebuild. Mainly, Should New Orleans be rebuilt at all?

Of course it should. That's too much to move, too many people to relocate, it would cost the US government more money to make that move than it would to repair the current damage. Besides, most of the flooding was caused by the canals at Lake Pontchartrain. The hurricane caused the water to push up against the canal, and once a minimal amount of water went over, it began to erode the earthen mound supporting the wall. Once the earthen mound eroded, the wall gave way, letting the water of Lake Pontchartrain into New Orleans. Engineering and a little bit of invesments could prevent any future flooding, or at least minimize it.

As many people have already stated, this is only the beginning of storm season, I heard we can expect many more storms, two to four of which will be large scale storms.

It's gonna take about 3 to 5 years for New Orleans to be completely rebuild. That was a quote from a person from CNN like three days ago. Another question is, how do we/they can get the water out of the flooded NO?

It's yet the beginning of the storm season. USA will yet have to face the worst. They will have to keep the relief efforts on track while bracing for new hurricanes. I just couldn't believe that hurricanes can go this devastating. Maybe because of the stategic position of the affected areas. New Orleans in the Missisippi delta. In a place like that flooding will occur. They should have a plan to prevent further incidents of flooding. Maybe a few more lakes and evacuating lowland areas will do.

It's gonna take about 3 to 5 years for New Orleans to be completely rebuild. That was a quote from a person from CNN like three days ago. Another question is, how do we/they can get the water out of the flooded NO?

It's no wonder. The tsunami hit areas are going to take ages to recover. But tsunami was a sudden thing. And in this hurricane there were plenty of pre warnings. The Americans had time to evacuate. I wonder why they didn't do that.

been watching the news and saw a strabge sight. Here everyone is point the finger at those above them selves. But why didnt the mayor use all the school buses and the buses use for puplic transportaion. Lets see a 66 passager bus loaded with 75 people times 300 buses that could be almost 8500 people in one trip. But they are all parked with water up to the wheel wells.

So if the mayor didnt order those buses to start pulling people out. Where was the gover could of order the mayor to use them and even sent in buses from all over the state. They knew almost 48hrs before katrina hit. So as days go by it apears there is anof blame for all.

damn, poor people there ;) But to be honest, after all, I wouldn't be surprised if the situation on Earth becomes even worse... Storm in USA, storm in Japon, then storm in USA again... then maybe anywhere else.. who knows. It's all about the golbal warming. About one year ago, I've read some article that says, that the hurricanes will be stronger and stronger because of the global warming. Now I see that they were right.. sad but true.

To say something about why the major didnt use buses to get people out, and interesting fact that needs to be addressed is what the Mexico Government does when they are threatened by a Hurricane....Everyone knows that Mexico is an extremely poor county, I live close to the border and go across at least twice a year, and its sad to see the poverty. But Whenever they are threatened by a hurricane, the government takes ALL their buses in the area, and PAY for transportation out. If the mexican government can do this, then why didnt the Major of New Orleans do this, this is an interesting topic and there is no real answer at the time, but when you people say things like "why didnt we do all this BEFORE it hit", everyone needs to remember.........Hindsight is 20/20, this is an interesting topic, and I myself have been in disscussions about this for several hours, there is no real answer, its hard to say.And currently, last i checked there is a tropical Depression near Florida, I myself Live on the Gulf of Mexico in Texas, and many people from Mississpi and New Orleans have taken refuge in My town, and many of the wealthy business people here have donated a large amount to these people, this has brought out some of the good in our people, and also the worst (looters). We need to stick together, and help everyone through, but sometimes that means Tax raises, then everyone says "oh wait, tax raises? Nevermind, they'll be fine" Anyways, I Wish everyone well that has been affected by the Hurricane Katrina...