xisto Community
WeaponX

Sharing Files Between 98 & Xp Using Router

Hi, I have a similar problem to another user here, except mine deals with Windows 98 and XP.I have a Windows 98 desktop in the living room and a Windows XP laptop in my room. They are both connecting to the internet wirelessly without any problems. Both have an assigned IP address by the router and their IP settings/addresses are set to automatically get one from the router.For the 98 machine, I have chosen a folder (c: drive - is that ok?) and right clicked on it and went to Sharing...Then I gave it a name and clicked on Full Access. Entered a password and confirmed it. I made sure both the 98 and XP machines are on the same workgroup (MSHOME). I called the desktop PC, "DESKTOP". Then I wen to my XP laptop and went to Start->Run and typed in \\DESKTOP and hit OK. Shouldn't that bring up the c: drive on my desktop PC? It gave me an error. I went into Network Places->View Workgroup Computers and only see my laptop listed there.TCP/IP is checked and it's set to automatically get a new address (not static).Both computers have ZoneAlarm as the firewall program. I'm not sure if that may be causing the problem, but I don't want to ever turn the firewall program off if it's not necessary.Thanks.

The Zone alarm is probably the problem, you need to allow the other computer, either by typing its name DESKTOP or whatever the case may be, and if running the same on the other machine you need to allow that computer name also, the Firewall is blocking it just like it should any other computer, it makes no difference between a LAN and an internet network. That should get you going.

I dont use Zone Alarm anymore I use PC Cillin but I kinda remember how it works, and you dhould have a menu for firewall settings and somewhere you should have a tab for exceptions or allowed sites, programs etcetera. There you should be given the option of either typing in the IP address of another computer or its NAME If you know the name then just type it in lets say the compters name is DESKTOP first type in DESKTOP and if that doesn't resolve try \\DESKTOP, but that might not be it if you have windows SP with SP2 then you also have a Windows firewall and the procedure would be about the same as above, make sure that if you do use Win XP with SP2 that Windows Firewall is either off or at least set to allow the computers that are on your network to be able to connect.

Here's how to check the Windows firewall

Posted Image

You can see if it is firewalled in XP like this by right clicking or pointing at the connection to see the details on the left hand side of your screen

Posted Image

Notice the menu option to change Windows Firewall settings in the Network Connections category. With Zone Alarm there should be a list of IP that you have told it to block, and amoung that list it is possible that when your other computer tried to logon then Zone Alarm probably told you about it and you told it to add it to the list of other ips that wre blocked, you need to know the IP of the other machine to check that list.

hi,is it possible, that your winXP has ServicePack2 installed, so that your Firewall is active?you have to create the rule, that the Ports 137, 138, 139, 445 can pass. These are the ports to share Files and Printers.If you type on the Addressline \\win98-pc a authorisation screen must pop up, or, if you have on both computers the same user with the same password you see the shared files from the other pc.*greetings*

Hi, I have a similar problem to another user here, except mine deals with Windows 98 and XP.

I have a Windows 98 desktop in the living room and a Windows XP laptop in my room.  They are both connecting to the internet wirelessly without any problems.  Both have an assigned IP address by the router and their IP settings/addresses are set to automatically get one from the router.

For the 98 machine, I have chosen a folder (c: drive - is that ok?) and right clicked on it and went to Sharing...Then I gave it a name and clicked on Full Access.  Entered a password and confirmed it.  I made sure both the 98 and XP machines are on the same workgroup (MSHOME).  I called the desktop PC, "DESKTOP".  Then I wen to my XP laptop and went to Start->Run and typed in \\DESKTOP and hit OK.  Shouldn't that bring up the c: drive on my desktop PC?  It gave me an error.  I went into Network Places->View Workgroup Computers and only see my laptop listed there.

TCP/IP is checked and it's set to automatically get a new address (not static).

Both computers have ZoneAlarm as the firewall program.  I'm not sure if that may be causing the problem, but I don't want to ever turn the firewall program off if it's not necessary.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the thing abouts routers is their purpose is to try not to use firewalls by blocking the ports. XP has a firewall built in so using zonealarm on the xp could make it worse from what i heard (some issue when 2 firewalls are used a protection can be shut down). Also with a router you may not even need the fire wall anyways. If that doesnt work try seeing what the router is setup as (You have to use a computer wired to the router to connect to it). The XP firewall shouldnt be a problem for if you install the network correctly with the floppy disk it makes for you it configures the firewall for network.

Did you make sure that both systems were on the same WORKGROUP? I know my XP machine and my sister's 98 machine had a hard time seeing one another unless they were on the same workgroup.Also, I could access her machine from mine, but hers could not access mine. I discovered that she had to have a user account that was identical on both her system and mine. And she HAD to have a password to access the XP machine. This is due to XP's tighter security policies. Also! Once I had her system seeing mine and she was able to access it, she was unable to see the shares! Well, this is because the share names on XP were too long (over 12 characters). This is because of how the 98 machine's networking works.Also, neither would see the other until I enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. I hope some of this is beneficial, somehow. B)