xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheJeffsta

Problem With Asta Subdomain: Ftp, Cpanel Failure

Ok, i requested my free web hosting package no. 2 yesterday and then later my request was accepted. I followed the email and went the the url it said to. I went through all of the details and put in TheJeffsta.astahost.com and all of that. It went through the processing stage and it then finished that. It gave me my account details and all of that - which currently still do not work - and it then said near the bottom 'Account Creation Complete!!!'.

I went into my FTP program - SmartFTP and started logining in with the givin details. It said that it couldnt find the host. I tried with the browser (both Mozilla FireFox and Internet Explorer) and still didnt work. I tried the cpanel details, yet with the same effect, it wouldnt let me login to cpanel. I could only get through to the cpanel login if i clicked on the http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ link - and the given IP was shared with some random person.

Just typing in my url in the browser didnt work either, it could not be found. What am i supposed to do? I have followed all instructions given but then it says '2. You can access FTP at ftp.thejeffsta.astahost.com.com. Which i think means i stuffed up with the registraton, but then for my cpanel the url is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I desperately need help, unless there is just some current problem with the servers.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

the ftp should be ftp. + your username (thejeffsta.) in lowercase not TheJeffsta, + Xisto.com. At least that is how my account works even though my login Has the first letter of my username capitalized. but I could be wrong. Your ftp account is not the same as your C Panel account in your email they should have pointed out the different means of connecting to the ftp server at Xisto.

I am sure that soon that an admin will provide more help but I am pretty sure that your ftp address would look like ftp.thejeffsta.astahost.com unless you go into C Panel and set up some other FTP accounts your self as I have for other users to upload files but only to certain area that I allow them to.

Well i have sort of fixed the problem. I can connect to and add/remove things via FTP to 69.50.168.69 with my FTP username and password at port 21. And i can also access my Cpanel account now. But the mystery of not being able to get my site via web browser (port 80) is weird.

So you can't access cPanel right? I have the exact same problem here but was repeatedly told that they (Admins) restrict the amount of bandwidth for cPanel since they usually want users to do things using FTP. I don't think that's it though (at least not 100%) because at my old workplace I logged into my cPanel (using browser) with absolutely no problems at all. Once I get home (be it day, afternoon, evening, night or whatever) I can't access it. Well, I could access it if I wait like 20 minutes or so, but even then I only see text and no images in cPanel. If I want to go to, say, the File Manager, that would take me another 20 minutes or so to load up. I just can't believe it's the bandwidth issue. Work, it works. Home, no go at all (20 minutes or so is not considered to be working).Just curious, what ISP do you have? I have Verizon DSL and I got their higher end package 3Mbps, so that can't be the problem. Unless it's a Verizon conflict problem with the server here?

I can login to Cpanel via http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (but currently it says 'Page cannot be found' which is the same i get when i try to get to my site. This is really peeing my off, i goto see my site and all of that, to find that i cant even get to the bloody site at all. i cant view other users websites if they are hosted at an actaul domain name e.g http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/,'>http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, but when its http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ i cannot access it.

I can get through on FTP now, but when I upload my site, I actually want to be able to bloody well test my site before i tell more people about it. The last time i told people about my site, my old free hosting company thought it would be funny if they stopped all images to be displayed to user websites, creating very pathetic, useless websites.

I could access my site the other day, but i couldnt access this forum at all. Now i can access this forum, i cannot access my site via http (port 80) and sometimes Cpanel (port 2082) - accessed it 10 minutes ago, yet i couldnt get to my site.

Ok... Why arent we able to edit our posts ;) Oh well.

Here is a pic of the error:

Posted Image

OMG, I am soo sick of errors with this hosting company. Errors here, database errors there, ... shoutout box errors....

"Server Error

The following error occurred:

The server response could not be read because of an error. Contact your system administrator.

Please contact the administrator."

Here is what I presume your internet connection looks like:ISP --> DSL Modem --> Router/Switch --> Computer 1 --> Computer 2 --> Computer 3 --> etc...If so, then you are probably set to obtain an IP address automatically from your ISP.In which case, your homes IP address is something like 202.101.0.85And your computers are probably something like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 etc...The address to change is the one that the router receives from your ISP.This will probably be under your Routers Status Screen. Many routers offer an IP Release and/or IP Renew option. Release then turn the router and modem off for a minute. When you turn them back on, your router should be assign a new IP address.Be sure to write down your IP address before and after the reset in order to compare the two. If this will not work, then your ISP's IP block may be blocked for what ever reason. Could be that your ISP is just small enough that an undesireable internet user has ruined the reputation of you network and many of the ISP's IP addresses are banned.I hope this helps out because once everything is working for you, I'm sure that you'll be very happy with the system we have here.vujsa

I actually had the same issue when I first started here Jeffsta. So it's not a big deal, it just means that your ISP's DNS servers pretty much are slow or poorly configured (I had to manually insert the IP and name in my hosts file - my isp didn't bother with c-class configurations and it took me 3 months before I was able to reach my own site by address and not IP)By what you're explaining, you have the same issue as I had. Can I ask who your ISP is? And I do suggest you call them about this. Don't let them ship you off though, it is THEIR DNS servers the mess up. PS. I actually ended up changing ISP