xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
organicbmx

Kwifimanager: Need Wan Setup Help In Kde

Im using knoppix on a old (p3 124mb ram win98) pc that i am soon to install ubuntu on for family. I need to put this computer onto the (totally xp) network. I have managed to find the network and get fully signal but i cant figure how to join the network.The computer doesnt seem to have an ip address assigned to it. I know that the d-link hardware is linux compatible so im not sure whats wrong, i can seem to find any network setup stuff in knoppix.Any ideasAlso an extra quick question: What does gnome have in the way of a equal to KWiFimanager becasue i could install kubuntu no problem but id just prefer all our linux boxes gnome at the moment.thanks in advance

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Go to one of the XP machines and look at the other comuters on the network and see if your is on there, Look at the workgroup those other machines are using by going to control panel then system then click the Computer name tab and its will show the work group, on your Win 98 machine go to settings -> control panel-> network then click identification and make sure that the workgroup is the same as the one you found on the XP network, once that is set and you update it then also make sure that the primary login says Client for Microsoft Networks, not Microsoft Family login.Then try and see if you are not able to use the network, you might have to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on one of the XP machines whichever one has the connection to the internet either through dialup or DSL or cable.

Im using knoppix on a old (p3 124mb ram win98) pc that i am soon to install ubuntu on for family.

Just tell me a small point : are you trying to use wifi with Win98 or with knoppix ?

Let's suppose you are trying with Win98.

You say that you see the network, which means that your wifi adapter is configured correctly.

then, on the win98 main panel, righ-click on "network", properties, you should see your wifi adapter among the other ones. right-click on that, look at his properties, and verify that it's configured as "DHCP client".

If you question was about Linux, let's see if your drivers are loaded and if the address is configured. Open a shell box, and type

CONSOLE
$ iwconfig -a

($ is your console prompt, do not type $ again, simply type iwconfig -a)

if iwconfig says "no such device" this means that the drivers are not loaded, this means that you have not the wifi drivers for knoppix loaded. Then you have to learn how to load the wifi drivers for linux. This is rather hardware-dependant, so I cannot help you more. I learned by myself for the Belkin Adapter for Mandrake, you will probably easily find information on the Knoppix drivers for your own adapter.

by the way, if you don't see anything with iwconfig, try typing

ifconfig -a

(because sometimes the wifi adapters are seen as ethernet adapters, so they use ifconfig syntax instead of the iwconfig syntax for wifi adapters).

Hope this helped

Yordan

sorry to have not made it clear. I am trying to set up wifi on knoppix using kwifimanager the kde wifi utility. I am then going to transfer file from the old win98 onto the xp computers using samba. I can go straight from the 98 becasue it is infected and rubbish and crashes lots