xisto Community
rapco

Which Laptop Processor Is Better? in laptops

I'm planning on buying a laptop.. but i don't truly understand the difference betwen laptop's proccesors...Meaning: I don't know how to choose one!!!!!!So, please, if you know the difference, explain it to me, and if you know a good HP or Dell model (cehap one! :D ) please advice also..Thanks!

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

If you go for cheap then you probably would end up with an Intel cpu. Because AMD cpu's in laptops are very rare. When going mobile, there are pentium m's and celeron m's, where pentium m's are the top of the line. If don't know what you want to do with a laptop. But if you are just using it for internet/email/chat stuff. A celeron m will do just fine.If you need somesort of portable media center like thing you might better go for a pentium m.Anyway, I've seen reasonably cheap laptops for around 800 euros that have a celeron. If you are not planning to do games or movie encoding or something, they are the best choice

I'm planning on buying a laptop.. but i don't truly understand the difference betwen laptop's proccesors...

Meaning: I don't know how to choose one!!!!!!

So, please, if you know the difference, explain it to me, and if you know a good HP or Dell model (cehap one!  :D ) please advice also..

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey.

What you are going to want depends on what you'll do with your laptop.

Example: I'm a college student and freelance writer. I play video games very, very seldomly, but spend plenty of time with MS Word and other "low-rent" type apps (i.e. they don't consume RAM like high-end video cards and such do).

Therefore, I didn't need a really, really, really expensive laptop. I ended up buying a Compaq M2105US last week, and it's really working out so far. You can visit the Compaq Web site and check this one out - I didn't have anything customized or upgraded, so WYSISYG for this one at least.

Anyway ... to the processor, which is actually the point of all this:

I'm running an AMD Mobile Sempron (2800+), which just means that A) it's AMD, which usually get a little bit better performance than Intel and :D I didn't get the very best AMD processor available. (If you want a REALLY good one, go with their Athlon series - more expensive but they're worth it depending on what you want them to do).

Now ... because I personally don't do much high-speed type stuff (like gaming), I don't really care that this processor is of lesser quality than the Athlon line. You on the other hand might want to invest in the higher quality version. Either way, my personal recommendation is to stick with AMD. They're comparable in price to Intel in most cases but you're getting a little bit more out of them more often than not .. at least in my experience.

That and I hate Intel's chimes. Maybe it's a Pavlovian sort of conditioning or something. I don't know.

One more thing before I shut up: if you do lots of typing (and who doesn't?) invest in a separate keyboard. One of my geek friends swears by them for his laptop and wouldn't shut up until I ordered one. He says it's far cheaper to replace those than to have the laptop's keyboard done when you wear it out. and yes. Some of us are *very* hard on our keyboards. Poor things. I would feel for them if they didn't annoy me so much sometimes.

Unless your going for Apple products for a reason, the mobile processor to get is Centrino from Intel. AMD really doesn't invest much into their mobile R&D and 64-bit processing for the basic needs of a laptop is really non-existant. The other problem AMD chips have had in the past is the fact that AMD runs hot. Heat is the number one problem with laptops with battery life being second. Because of those two factors, 64-bit chips at this point in time aren't worth it in a mobile platform. Your going to get better overall performance with the 32-bit Centrino chips.

The 12-inch iBook G4 is a good choice, if you're willing to shell out $999 (Apple should really introduce a $799 laptop). If you want processing power, go with an AMD Athlon. If you just want something cheap and reliable, go with an AMD Sempron.

Please, for everyone's sake, don't go with an Intel! ;)

My laptop runs on a Pentium 4 Hyper Threading Processor, although I don't reccommend this type of processor for travel, my computer is also heavy, runs really hot, is massive, and has a 45 min. battery life (and 256 MB video card)If you travel, you should probally get the centrino processor, the laptops wiht centrino tend to be lighter, and have longer battery lives.If you are just looking for a cheap laptop, and you don't travel too much, or need too much power, celerom should be enough, just try to go for a decent amount of RAM.

i actually dont like laptop coz it is slow even u got the most powerful processor. mine is as below Intel Centrino 2.13 GHz processor, 2 MB L2 Cache 512 MB DDR SDRAM memory 15.4-inch wide WUXGA display ATI Mobility Fire GL 5000 Integrated sound 80 GB hard drive, 5400 RPM 4x DVD+/-RW drive Integrated 802.11a/b/g wireless network card Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card Integrated 56k modem 1394 Firewire Accidental Damage Protectioni dont know its price cos it is given for free as a part of my study plan.. mayb 1500-1800 usd... even so, it still cant be used to play games as good as midrange desktop... but what to do, at least it is free ;)

My opinion on this: AMDI have sworn by AMD ever since the Thunderbird series and will probably be a diehard AMD advocate for the rest of my life. As for the Heat issue...that hasn't been a major problem with AMD processors for awhile....old news....

If you go for cheap then you probably would end up with an Intel cpu. Because AMD cpu's in laptops are very rare.

1064320295[/snapback]

That is not so true... In my country there is same amount of laptops with intel cpu as with amd. And ones with amd are cheaper.

Anyway, depending on user's decision, if you like cheap then go for amd, but If you look for performance go with intel - but no celeron - take intel pentium mobile's. Laptops usually have lower performances than desktop editions, so going for higher price would probably get you decent laptop. B)

My opinion on this:  AMD

I have sworn by AMD ever since the Thunderbird series and will probably be a diehard AMD advocate for the rest of my life.  As for the Heat issue...that hasn't been a major problem with AMD processors for awhile....old news....

1064322496[/snapback]

See I swore at the AMD Thunderbird series and what drove me finally to Macintosh.

I had universal problems with heat, VIA motherboard chipsets, more heat issues. We finally had to clock down the processors from 1.2Ghz to 900Mhz to get enough stablity to run our applications. Also the fact that Adobe Premeire 6 was a peice of crap vs. Final Cut Pro 3 then 4 was the final nail in the coffin.

I've used a bunch of processors in my day and I will still swear by DEC ALPHA's too bad Compaq screwed the pricing policies and HP didn't know what to do with DEC labs. Anyway.

Generally I've had more consistant results using Intel chips on Intel chipsets in the past. (in the x86 world) My experience with AMD has been mixed. The 486 I bumped up to 133Mhz is still working and running an AMD k5 75-Mhz processor that is configured to run as a 133Mhz 486 chip (CPU upgrade kit. My Dad has a Compaq 5345 with a 400Mhz K6-2 processor that is still running for him without any problems for the last 6 years.

I've had far more chipset conflicts (mainly thanks to VIA and the fact that a majority of Mobo's use VIA chipsets) and heat issues with the Althon line of chips vs. the Pentium 3 and 4 series on almost all levels including failure rates and DOA rates. I've had very few of the same problems with excecption to some of the early P4 chips that were...well crap with Intel based machines period.

I've had my best luck so far with Apple machines running both G4 and G5 processors, although the G5's can have more heat issues.

Now I did get a 1st generation of Snow white iBook. The ones with the constant logic board and heat issues (trust me the damn thing ran extremely hot even with a 700Mhz g3 Processor). My 1Ghz Powerbook G4 on the hand has worked flawlessly for the past 2+ years.

If I were going to buy a new laptop today, I'd wait for the new iBooks due out next year that will be running on the Intel mobile technology. We have 2 Developer Mactels in the office now and OS X on Intel runs much faster than the G4's and even the G5's in several tasks. (like rendering animation). Intel chips aren't quite as fast as rendering audio or video output, say from FCP, vs. the G5.

I would go with Mobile (M) over the AMD any time for laptops. Mobile is also more advance on the laptops, because it seems the videocards on most AMDS are still pretty behind with the 128 or low 256. I wonder when they'll release something new that can actually beat the current mobile though. That would be something to see.