xisto Community
musichere

Sending Files With Wifi?

I'm having problems trying to send files between computers on WiFi.I know you're supposed to locate the computer in the network connections, but when I press 'View Network Computers' I always get nothing.I need to send some big files to my desktop so I can burn them onto DVD. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Same problem here, except i don't even know where to find the "View Network Computers" button. I've searched the Microsoft website on how to do this but found nothing. So i gave up, bought a portable hard drive, and started transfering stuff. It doesn't clog up your internet anyway.

You are probably not so familiar with networking, else you would have no problem.Sending files through a wifi connection is exactly like sending them through an Ethernet cable. Except that it goes far faster (about 200 times faster) through a cross-cable.In order to get familiar with sharing files, IP addresses and so one, first try with a cable (no enkryption-like problems), send your big files.then, put the wifi connection on, allow it in your firewalls, and try with small files.

ehh... in the begining, you have to understand few things - there are 2 ways to connect 2 computers - you can connect them by ad-hoc, that means, that tey are connected to their self without any router or acces point (it is usefoul, when you use 2 compuers, and they are not to far...)another way is called infrastructure. it is usefoul when we have more than 2 compuers... then we have to buy an router, and we have an stable connectionconnection with ad-hoc sometimes can lost signal, and better not transfer large files that wayso what is your problem? you don't see any computers in yours network? make sure, that you have connectionthen make sure, that you use on yours computers the same workgroup name! it is important! when ypu use an domain it is more complicated...if you use an router, it may be alsow hard to do... maby you don't have authorisation....I propose to add an adreses (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2) to your computersif you use an firewall or windows xp firewall, just disenable it, and if everything will be OK, then you may be sure it is because that firewal...maby it will help ;)oh! I almos forgot... did you heard about 802.11n ? in future i t will be an wlan with speed over 100, 250 Mbit/s but the old lan is now the fastest way... 1Gbit/s ;) ;) ;)but in near future I think that wlan will beat traditional lan, because it is easier to install (no cables :) )

This happens to me sometimes as well, on any kind of LAN (wired and wireless)... One reason COULD be the firewall on your desktop (if it's not set to have the other ip's on your LAN as "friends")... Then again, it's windows so pretty much it could be about anything...You probably have done this, but I'll make the suggestion either way because sometimes obvious stuff just makes us fools of ourselves... have you checked if you're sharing any folders????The way I deal with this is by entering the IP address on the explorer's address bar (i.e if your desktop has the IP 192.168.1.2 then you should put \\192.168.1.2).Sorry I can't be of anymore help...

To be honest, when I say "I have no problems with wifi connections", it's almost true. I must confess that I first stop all firewalls and virusscanners, make the connections, see that I am able to send and receive files, and then I restart the firewall and the virusscan softwares. If everything is still working, I'm happy. if not, I correct the firewall settings.

oh! I almos forgot... did you heard about 802.11n ? in future i t will be an wlan with speed over 100, 250 Mbit/s but the old lan is now the fastest way... 1Gbit/s ;):);)

but in near future I think that wlan will beat traditional lan, because it is easier to install (no cables ;) )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well there's WiMAX coming out soon, and we should see products supporting WiMax in the market very soon, possibly by mid next year...

WiMAX is the IEEE 802.16 standatd for wireless communications, mainly broadband commuications capabilities over long distances. Information on this is available at the WiMAX Forum (here).

Basically, WiMAX will enable us to roam freely within defined areas (very much like the cells within which we may roam in while using our mobile phones). In fact, in India, there are companies planning on rolling out WiMAX solutions alongside mobile phone operators so that exhisting infrastructure and permissions can be taken advantage of; as early as Feburary next year.

At present, the company I work with is in talks about managing the next WiMAX forum in New Delhi the following January (2006), which will be attended by the who's who of the decision makers in the WiMAX forum. Also, they are planning on showcasing WiMAX oppurtunities within India, and spreading from here, to the rest of the World at a rapid pace. There are numerous companies developing WiMAX technology, amongst which are Intel and Beceem.

The next time you hop onto a train, coach or cab in India, hopefully you'll be able to take your office work with you, tele-converse through WiMAX VoIP and watch a streaming movie while on the move. Exciting times ahead I think.

I really really havn't understood any of that. I'm managing fine to send files through USB but I can't figure out how to get my 802.11b/g wireless LAN to send files. I'd have thought it would be much quicker since it's like 100mb/s or something.

Nope, it's not faster than an Ethernet cable. An ethernet direct-connect cable goes up to 100 megabits/second. A 801.11g link goes up to 500k or 1 meg/second. it's 100 times less.Moreover, try first a cable connection because it's easier to establish. Try with a cable. then add the radio additional thing (which is not really a lot, but you have one more menu, choosing between "infrastructure" mode and "ad-hoc" mode.

The problem might not be the Wi Fi, your computers could be on seperate domains, or workgroups. Make sure they are linking up to the same network. If you have the default SSID, that is very bad. The best thing to do is test wired, then make sure your wireless is correct, and make sure you take care of security by doing the following steps:Change the password, the default password is very easy to guessChange the SSID, if an attacked sees a default SSID, it is kinda obvious that the network is not secured. This also helps make sure you are connecting all of your computers to the same network.Activate WEP (wired equivilent privacy), or (this is the preffered security at this time) WPA-TKIP, (Wireless Pivacy Authentication (not sure about that one) - Timed key (not sure what the I is) protocal.) also try to set your TKIP to about 15-120 min. This means that your internet and network will temproarilly bet interupted every 15-120 minutes as keys are changed. You usually regain service in about 2-5 seconds.Disable SSID broadcasting, this makes it harder to find your network.

I am just fighting with the password definition (open, hexa, phrase), so differently defined on the various adapters, and now I understand why a lot of people use the "don't krypt" option, and why you could happen to surf on your neightbour's wifi network.

I'm having problems trying to send files between computers on WiFi.

I know you're supposed to locate the computer in the network connections, but when I press 'View Network Computers' I always get nothing.I need to send some big files to my desktop so I can burn them onto DVD. Does anyone know how I can do this?

1064320206[/snapback]

Do you have any firewalls running or what have you done so far? I have the same setup and it works for me just fine. Give me a little more information about your setup there...