xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cyborgxxi

A User In My Forum There is a a newbie in my forum

It hasn't been long since I invited some friends over to join the forum I created (mostly for my friends in the same grade). Well, it took me quite a while to set up the forums, subforums, descriptions, and forum settings.Well, first of all, let me tell you how it looks like. These are the forums (not the categories) and the subforums after they dashes.AnnouncementsSupportStar Wars MoviesExtended UniverseMiscGeneral DiscussionsEntertainment / Real World-IntroductionsSchool Life-ICS-ASIJAlright. ICS is the school I go to. And one of my friends comes up with a thread about "Clubs". I argue that this thread is too general/broad for such a topic. Even more, her post is something like this:"The clubs are on every other friday at school. Post or chat about your opinions and discuss what you do."I argue that she is telling others what to do while she doesn't even talk about anything at all. Her posts are so short that it can be considered spam.Then she tells me I'm too picky about her posts.I tell her that her post, "Clubs", could become a sub-subforum because it's so broad. I even tell her she's one of the worst forum users I've seen.Now, dO I have the right so say this? What are your opinions? It's a new experience for me being an admin of a forum. It would be very nice if an admin or a moderator posted about their opinions.Thanks

I tell her that her post, "Clubs", could become a sub-subforum because it's so broad. I even tell her she's one of the worst forum users I've seen.

Now, dO I have the right so say this? What are your opinions? It's a new experience for me being an admin of a forum. It would be very nice if an admin or a moderator posted about their opinions.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As it is your forums I would say that its your right to say, within reason of course always must be polite to our posters, what can and can not be posted on your forums. What I would suggest though is start a new "School Clubs" board with subforums for each different club individually:

School Clubs

-DECA

-4H

-Chess club

-etc

That way you get the order you want, yet she can still have her posting area.

Yes, I agree with you, "clubs" is a very broad topic, it can go anywhere, types of clubs, etc. You should tell her that and move the post or delet it, after all it is your forums, if she is arguing with you, to bad for her, you own the forums, you posted the posts to get the hosting, its your call!

Notice from mooonwitch:
No need to quote a long post that is just a little above yours
Edited by moonwitch (see edit history)

Nope.I would say that, if you want people to come to your forum, you should give them some freedom.So, may I soggest opening a new subforum and see if this subforum starts being successful.If this subforum starts growing more and more, it can become your main forum, why not ?And if nobody posts in this subforum except your friend, doesn't matter, she will be satisfied. On my own forum, I just want that nothing illegal is posted. Everything else is not really important, provided that people like posting in my forum.By the way, I would like to open a special subforum on AIX in Xisto forum. However, it seems that we are only two people today interested by that topic, so this will not be done.

don't delete her posts that will lose you her as member, and possibly others if not just start a full flame war. Just start a New Board with multiple stickied topics for all of the clubs at your school then let people post as they will. The nice thing about forums is that they can always grow and evolve.

This is the 1001st post on this forum!! Yippee!!Alright, thanks guys. I have not done much admin-stuff because I used my forum primarily for role playing games (we played Star Wars pen and paper over the Net). We had to use the forum because a content management system did not work very well.People also disagreed over the difficult of the game if we used a content management system and could not see what others' actions are. Now, that's like shooting blind but it's more like shooting at where the sound is coming from.Hmmm.... I have a request: May I have a good list of forum guidelines or forum rules? I just want to cut down on threads that are too broad and have each person respect the forum and everyone else etc. Anyone have a good guideline out there?

I have the same problem with my mates. I specifically put up a rules and guidelines topic and made it an Announcement. Of course, some people just wanna be cocky and have "better" ideas of their own. Many of my friends aren't the blabbering type who would type as much as possible. Most of the posts would be like a yes or no answer. For Xisto this is very different because everyone has a specific goal which is mopst likely getting the hosting account and staying active. Back in my forum there is no goal. I try to make them appreciate what they have here but they just like to be stupid and post 1 sentence posts and spam. What am i supposed to say to them? I definitely want the members but they just come online to the forum, post a "I agree haha!" post and loggout. There is no meaning to all this. What have i done wrong and what do i have to do to keep my members AND retain good, meaningful posts?

thats really funny when n00b admins (or moderators) start to considere someone's posts as junk or spam when they don't really understand the point of the post. Well .maybe I'd agree that posts like "yes" or "no" or "LOL" e.t.c.. are not really important in the forum, but just think.. maybe the guy (or the girl) is shy when talking to other people... maybe he's got any complexes e.t.c.. you gotta considere it all.. maybe he has no friends. and instead of make him feel alright in your forum you will disturb him by saying "you're the worst user in my forum" that's really lame. just grow up and try to understand people. and please be nice with them. don't be so rude ;)

I think if you're an admin you should have a good variety of knowledge of the topic that will be posted in your forum, since you're in control of it. I despise when someone who's in control messes you up when you were trying to find something out, and they thought you were insulting someone or something. They shouldn't act before they think. Just my two cents. K bye

It hasn't been long since I invited some friends over to join the forum I created (mostly for my friends in the same grade). Well, it took me quite a while to set up the forums, subforums, descriptions, and forum settings.

Well, first of all, let me tell you how it looks like. These are the forums (not the categories) and the subforums after they dashes.

Announcements

Support

Star Wars Movies

Extended Universe

Misc

General Discussions

Entertainment / Real World

-Introductions

School Life

-ICS

-ASIJ

Alright. ICS is the school I go to. And one of my friends comes up with a thread about "Clubs". I argue that this thread is too general/broad for such a topic. Even more, her post is something like this:

"The clubs are on every other friday at school. Post or chat about your opinions and discuss what you do."

I argue that she is telling others what to do while she doesn't even talk about anything at all. Her posts are so short that it can be considered spam.

Then she tells me I'm too picky about her posts.

I tell her that her post, "Clubs", could become a sub-subforum because it's so broad. I even tell her she's one of the worst forum users I've seen.

Now, dO I have the right so say this? What are your opinions? It's a new experience for me being an admin of a forum. It would be very nice if an admin or a moderator posted about their opinions.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well being the admin of a very popular forum and the moderater of several other i say you do have the right so say that but im also the admin of a small forum that i made for my friend and i really dont care because there alot of my friends that arnt that smart about this forum stuff so i explain how to post and it really is just, i dont think it matters being an un-official forum just for your and your friends, maybe just a place to spend time and talk with your friends outside of school. but if it was a public forum with closer to 100 hits a day maybe i would be a bit more strict with the posting and forum rules, this is just my opinion

even though she is your friend she should respect what you have the say and what power you have on your forum and if she doest get it just kick her off for a few days and if she doesnt come back then shes not really a cool friend