xisto Community
cyph3r

Why Do Some People Mistreat Newbies ?

Using leetspeak is only funny to make fun of n00bies. For example:Me and a friend of mine are pwning a team deathmatch game of Call of Duty, and the rest of game consists of people who can't even aim properly or are just plain bad at the game.Then we both start using chat-binds like "I @m teh Pwn@ge" just to piss other people of and get a few laughs while talking a bit through teamspeak.My point is that leet-speak is better used for chatting with friends to indicate something funny.

So just requesting you guys or for that matter any one who comes to this forum, please do not make a newbie feel like a newbie, there are ways to tell, much better ways to do that, just dont try thinking u r god in what u know :D atleast spare Xisto from the snobishness that other forums brag about.

Cheers :D

1064319895[/snapback]

Everyone either was, or is, a newbie, especially when anything related to computers is involved.

I could tell all sorts of fun stories about hard drives I've crashed, operating systems I've trashed, and mice that mysteriously dropped dead in my hand. But most of you probably did the same things when you were just starting.

I'm not a computer genius, but I like being able to help people who don't understand something that I can do. I didn't really have anybody to teach me, so I had to either figure things out for myself or try to find the answers in books (which doesn't always work very well, as many of you probably know). I think that, if I'd had access to this type of forum when I started out with computers however many years ago, I would know more today ... and wouldn't have destroyed so many computer systems with my big, big, costly mistakes *grins*

So ... I'm in total agreement about being nice to newbies.

Generally around here it is because of kids wanting to be special and like they know it all. Personally, I stop reading any response that is not typed in proper english with proper spelling. Now I will overlook grammer and spelling errors as I mistype more than I care to admit. But as soon as anyone starts using numbers instead of letters trying to be "cool" I ignore them. Another factor is that people that bash newer users have little else to be excited about in their life. I wonder how many of these bashers really have a life outside of their computer screen? I work around computers all day long and the last thing I want to do when I get home is play on them. Hell, I barely check my personal email anymore. When I get home, I want to watch TV, go play hockey, or do something else. Back when I was in college and had more desire to play games online, I played Rainbow 6 online, I used to host a lot of games. As soon as some punk kid would enter and boast about how drunk he was or how "elite" he was using numbers and letters I'd boot him. Other more casual players that were there to have fun loved it and I got a pretty large following of people that enjoyed the fact I controlled my game room trying to have fun. ======I was just in a popular forum for Blender 3D users (won't name it here). I was reading a thread where the someone was complaining that all the users work there was "crap noobie work" and that it really hurt Blender as a professional 3D program. It really ticked the crap out of me because Blender is a great learning tool and there are a few users that can do some amazing work, but most of the people that use Blender 3D do so because it is free where most other 3D animation programs cost hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Anyone interested in getting into the 3D field, I recommend take a look at Blender and try to learn the basics of how Keyframing, rendering, IK engines, and particles work. While those features may have different keystrokes in say Lightwave, the basic principles on HOW they work remain the same. I started with 3D Studio Max in college, then moved on to Lightwave later and came to blender for personal use. Now there are some people that seem to have a gift with these programs and can do some wonderful things. Most others it takes a longer period to learn, especially with blender because the program has extremely poor documentation when compared to commerical applications. Most of the Tutorials are written from the perspective that you already know blender and have been using it since version 1.8. Anyway, the user was complaining until someone when and dug up some his early work from two or three years ago that was pure crap. People start getting egos and want to be known as the king of the mountain. True in any line of work. Most often, the ones that are sucessful are the ones that can make complex things simple. That is basically what I do now. I the technology of our business simple for the office people to understand. "We have no pressing need for the features of Lightwave 9. Let's wait until version 9.1 comes out with any bug fixes before upgrading." "These quad-core Powermacs offer the same power as 5 Xserves on the render farm for one third the price" etc.. One a more personal level, we usually have to trasition office people over to Mac OSX from Windows when they first come here. Some of them can be annoying, but they appreciate it when you will spend time and help them understand why. If anyone remembers the "Nick the computer guy" scetch from SNL a couple years ago...well that is how so many IT act that when true professonals come along, it makes us look like heros...

I don't think any perceived mistreatment is intended. I think the perception comes from the fact that joining any community involves a learning process. Learning how to communicate with these particular people and those people also learning how to communicate with you without either trampling on the other's sensitivities, or more often learning endure and ignore such tramplings.This experience is not something that only the lesser informed joinees go through, sometimes it is even worse when you are rather knowlegeable. Much knowlege often accompanies strong opinions and this will most likely get you torpedoed until you and the other knowlegeable members of the community teach each other to respect one another for the differing sets of knowlege and expertise that you and they have.

I have read an article regarding LiNUX Gurus being the downfall of the OS itself. There are just too many newbies out there and a large portion of those newbs get shotdown apparantly for almost nothing at all.I think it's an elitist attitude, as being a person knowing a lot about LiNUX (pardon my spelling, LoL), they took the time to learn it, and probably have something in their life making them grumpy, like say their GF suddenly decided to go Vista... or sumthin... ;)Anyways, I think "no pain, no gain" applies here. You want to learn the best OS out there? You have to earn the respect then. Everyone starts out as a noob, in one form or another. I know I was, and somewhat still is, to a certain extent. :P