xisto Community
clagnol1405241508

First Attempt At Comic-book-style Hero

Click on this picture for a larger version.

Posted Image

As I stated in the title, this is my first real attempt at a comic-book-style hero. I don't think I got the highlighting just right, and I'm sure I fudged some of the clothing. Obviously, there's a lot of room for improvement. I've noticed some talented artists here, so I'm sure there is criticism to be had. You don't have to be nice, either. Just tell me what looks bad, and if you have suggestions for improvement, tell me those, too.

Its nice, not really my style, but its good for a first time. I think the head may be a tad bit to the right too much. I also think that as a result of this, it makes the chest area of body look like it is a little bit too square on. It makes him look a little awkwardly placed. Other than that, the rest of it seems fine. I would work on the upper chest area. I'm thinking that the lines of the tie and the jacket are too flat, and would maybe look better if they were curved ")" slightly. The head is fine, but if it were mine, I would move it to the left just a smidgen. Hey thats my opinion, nobody else has said anything, you have done a really good job for a first time job! Keep up the good work! :D

Gee, not bad!! Not bad at your first try. I've tried making comic books on A4 blank sheets of paper when I was in elementary. Hahaha, all I could draw were humorous stories of stick figures and terrorists... Aaahh, the good old days.I have to say this though: If you really are interested in continuing this, then go get some more tools. Just criticizations and tips from talented artists won't do much. However, you can try going to a local bookstore (or probably a BIG bookstore) and getting a book about drawing comics and superheroes (and supervillains).One of the books I truly recommend is a drawing-tips-and-advice book by Stan Lee and some other accompaniment. It shows you how to draw different types of people with different postures and characteristics, as well as point of view, perspectives, shadowing, storyline, etc.Well, it's really good to see some comic artists out in the world. I always wanted to draw them but I don't think I have what it takes. I'm a perfectionist at most times and it's not necessarily a good characteristic / personality trait at some times.Best wishes to you and hope you have a fun time doing it!

It is looking good. I think that you should make the legs a bit longer by lengthening the segments from the knee to the foot. Also I think that the foreshortening of the foot on the left is a little off.

To yordan, this is just what my sketch became when I started drawing. I don't particularly like Westerns more than any other genre.To optykal, I think your criticisms are dead on. I will be a lot more careful with the placement of the head, next time. As for the lines on the vest, I was being lazy and hoped no one would notice that they weren't curved right :D To cyborgxxi, that's a good tip. I'll look into Stan Lee's book, as I've been an avid fan of his for years.To foolakadugie, I'm not sure if lengthening the calves would work for me or not, but I'll give it a try with my next comic-book-style character. Perhaps that will give me more of the stylized look I'm going for.To AbyssalStalker, I'm into more unconventional heroes, these days. Ever read "The Invisibles" series by Grant Morrison? This guy, for instance, could be a banker that lost it all when a gang of bank-robbers destroyed his bank. So he learns the way of the gun and seeks his revenge on those robbers.Or he could be a high-dollar assassin with a heart of gold and a troubling past.They don't all wear bright spandex, anymore.

He needs two guns because his two eyes don't collaborate : each eye goes to a different direction, so he needs one separate gun for each eye. So, the thing is : stay just in front of that guy, he cannot shoot you!

i think its pretty good for your first attempt.. What program did you use?The few pictures I have done like that, I did in photoshop. Took friggin forever because of the massive number of layers, but in the end it looks super good imo. I havent tried doin that with other programs though.I am assuming you sketched it on paper and scanned it into your computer, please correct me if I am wrong. Anyhoo really good job ;)

Doing it fully with te computer is of course the best way. Because you can startup preparing your own tools, and reuse them after slight modifications for your future drawings from the same heroe. By the way, how long did you need until you obtained your first drawing ?

I think what you drew was too... un-comic-y. The lines on the guns were too straight, and the character's pose is unnatural.Maybe you can try drawing it differently. I think what might work is to draw it as a pose instead of a person posing. I mean, don't draw it like it's a 3D person... I can't really explain it... Maybe the person is looking to realistic (ignoring the "weird" head and the bulging-muscular thighs).