xisto Community
specter

Favorite Graphics Program? What program do you guys use for graphic

I use GIMP too, it's a wonderful free graphic editing software. It has many features like any of the paid programs out there. You can virtually do anything in Photoshop with GIMP.I have not tried Corel or the other programs out there, so I cant comment on them.

Photoshop is a great program, if it wasn't for the price tag. Fortunately, I got a free copy of it, so I don't have to worry about that aspect of it. I didn't really experiment with GIMP a whole lot, had some GTK problems what with having GAIM as well, but it looked pretty good.

The original version didn't let you edit (but it was free), but the new version of ACDSee is pretty awesome. I have photoshop and normally use it to edit my pictures, but it is slow to load and slow to learn. ACDSee loads very quickly and it let's you crop pictures to specified ratios (e.g. 4x6, 10x14) which is something I could never figure out how to do in photoshop. And they have a red-eye removing tool that shocked me by how quickly and easily it worked. But, I think you have to pay for the program now, or use the trial version. Give it a try.

Hey! I'm sorry, but I was wondering if you guys can help me with something. I haven't used GIMP and since you guys said it was just as good as Photoshop, I tried to download it at download.com but afterwards, my computer could not recognize the file. I have never heard of a .tar file before (this is what GIMP is) so now I'm not sure what to do to be able to open the program. Can anybody help me? Do I have to download another program in order to be able to use GIMP then? If not, then what did you guys do to get GIMP? Where did you download it from, since you say it is free? Thank you so much for helping me with this! ^__^

Regards,

-- scryoko

.tar is a compression format, like .zip, so you'll need to find a program that is capable of unzipping it. I'm not sure if there's a default program for doing it, or if WinZIP covers it. Personally, I use WinRAR, which handles a lot of compression algorithms, but it's shareware and requires spending some cash. I've heard 7-Zip is pretty good as well, you could check that out. Hope that might help. Also, if you could find a binary release, you might be able to bypass the whole .tar thing and just install.

P.S. Make sure to get the GTK runtime unless you already have it.

[edit]Here's a link to binaries: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/[/edit]

Oh, wow! Thank you so much, garen_taym! I just finished downloading the programs and now I can use GIMP. I tried it out and /squeals in delight/ I simply LOVE it!! Well, I'm not all that good at using Photoshop -- I'm still learnign how to use all of the controls/commands -- but I have to say, I am loving GIMP. Wee..!! Thanks once again for providing me with the links! I really appreciate it a lot. Now... I shall go mess around with the program. ^_^

-- scryoko

Just only really started using photoshop and i have to say, it is a very impressive piece of software with a huge range of tools to use. I did have a look at the GIMP software but as i was only just starting out with photoshop, i didnt want to go changing and learning yet another graphics software. The next on my list thoguh is to buy and try to learn to use corel draw, heard it is very impressive.

Photoshop 7 for Mac....actually I've not used any of the new features since PS 5.5. In fact I think I have PS 6 on my PC and haven't upgraded in years. The texture and graphics art people in the office all have the CS, and now CS2, suite. But they seem to use Illistrator more than PS. Gimp had that 4 year period there where really not much happened and PS really was beating GIMP badly in features and new innovation. GIMP 2 is much improved and if I didn't have access to PS for free, I'd probalby use it.

I use photoshop for bigger "projects" and paint shop pro for smaller little things just because its quicker to load and the base stuff seems quicker/easier to use. Both are awesome programs though.I've used the gimp and it seemed impressive, especially for free software, but it just didn't 'feel' right to me. I do plan to give it another shot though... maybe I will right now, it's looking like it'll be an empty day here at work if I dont find some way to entertain myself haha. If I check it out I'll throw up some new impressions

I have been using Photoshop CS for the freshmen computer courses in my school. It was a very good program but I guess all those hidden tips and tricks include multitudes of series of stacked effects and graphics!!I believe it's an easy program to get the hang of (of the basic utilities) but a very difficult one to master. I don't believe there is an end to the effects of Photoshop CS!! I also doubt that there will be an end to any Adobe products (except the outdated, dumb ones, such as Adobe PageMaker - it is horrible!)Photoshop CS has a very big pricetag and I wonder why there's so much value on it. I mean, it can be a hobby but it will be expensive. It can also be a tool but only for those with the money and time, or else, it will go to waste. And also, approximately every few years or so, there will be a new version that comes out. I wonder how much you will spend if you keep upgrading your Photoshop software for 10 years!!Well, these are my current graphics programs that I use:-Adobe Photoshop CS-Paint.exe (har har)

For a Graphics program, I always use Adobe Photoshop CS2, its what I have right now, and I would never change to anything else. Even though it may not be in your price range, since it is $600.00 US. If you have the money, go for it! Buy it, install it, read up on tutorials, and start making graphics! When I first pruchased the program, I had no idea what I was doing, I opened it, and it had all these buttons. It's like "What do I do?". The first thing i did then was goto https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl and type "Photoshop Tutorials". Soon, tons of search results popped up with the tutorials I needed! I went from website to website reading tutorials until I became quite good, now I make graphics for online gaming clans, mostly for free, but I did get payed for my work a couple times.Rippers, I het rippers, whenever I make tutorials an making graphics, I laways have to put some sort of watermark accross the background of each image for each step. You cannot imagine what some rippers will go through just to rip an image you made. It makes me so mad, I spent hours on making this graphic and not to mention the entire tutorial to benefit others, and some guy comes along, rips the graphic, and claims it as his own.One other thing about the price of Adobe Photoshop, come on if you have a job, $600.00 US is not that bad of a price to pay if you want to get into professional graphic designing. I don't like people who just download a p2p program, and rip the program. That is not legal, and is very disrespectful to the progarmmers, artists, etc. who put together and created Adobe Photoshop CS, think, all their hard work, wasted.I am sorry if I just wasted your time, I know I can go on for quite a while about rippers, it just makes me so mad. Hope you enjoyed at least some of the above information.

Cool, I will definately look at that, I definaltely aggree with the person that posted before saying, "Think of all the money you'll waste upgrading to a new photoshop each year" True, if you upgrade each year, that is alot of money you are spending, especially for a program that can now be used in th esame way on this new program (gimp) The thing that I love about photoshop is that is has so many features, I don't think there is an end to all the great features photoshop has to offer, i definately think gimp could even hold over 100 of these features, nothing could compare to Adobe Photoshop!It would have to be an awful good, well made prgram to even come close!