xisto Community
abhiram

Complete Css Layouts... What Do You Think? A beginners work.....

Hi,

I've been trying to make some templates using just CSS and nothing but. It's a bit difficult to do it without using any tables but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I need some opinion about the following templates. btw, please don't forget that I'm still a beginner :D and ignore the fact that I haven't used even a single image anywhere.

1. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is the first of the CSS layouts that actually started to look decent. Made it last month.

2. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The popup text for the menu has been copied from some site on the web... I don't recall. But it was titled 'Pure CSS menus' or something.

3. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I tried to repeat the same thing with a horizontal menu with disastrous results. So, I had to make the menu buttons big enough to encompass the popup text.

4. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

After a lot of googling, I finally found out how to get what I wanted. This is the final form of layout1.

Any criticism will be appreciated.

Wow that's pretty impressive on just using pure CSS, that shows the potential of it. I liked the one you have currently on number #1, but you said you are gonna change it to the final layout in number #4 which is pretty good too. I personally like #1 cause its original and you made it, while #4 it feels more blog-like style. Choose whichever you want, both are just fine. Talking about CSS how long have you been learning it, cause I have read a little about it and i'm interested in it. Can you tell me if its easy to learn or anything else you want to comment about it?. Thanks! and congratulations on your layouts.

Hi darkranger,I've been learning CSS for a couple of months now. It's not difficult at all. It's quite easy to learn as there are plenty of resources on the net. It still has some compatibility issues with IE and some browsers, but there are ways to circum navigate those issues using javascript. The best thing about CSS is that it can fit in any resolution. Try resizing the window for any of the layouts and they rearrange accordingly. The reason I started making different templates is becoz my friends tell me that #1 is too dull :D. Thanks for your opinion. All of the templates are my original (not just #1) :D but some ideas have been borrowed from various sites on the net for all the templates.

2. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The popup text for the menu has been copied from some site on the web... I don't recall. But it was titled 'Pure CSS menus' or something.

Uhm.. THat's Eric Meyers design, I suggest you give him credits if you use that Pure menu LOL He's THE guru for CSS... Most who like CSS know that guy.

Uhm.. THat's Eric Meyers design, I suggest you give him credits if you use that Pure menu LOL He's THE guru for CSS... Most who like CSS know that guy.

Really? I didn't know that. I was kind of googling and I came across the template. I'll post a link back to his page on the site. Thanks for pointing it out moon :D.

Yeah; I agree - the 1st posted is the best. It flows more, the size is adequate, and even without images, the layout is very nice.

I've been trying a bit of CSS, but I find it to be very difficult. I just stick to HTML and XHTML, which I happen to be rather proficient at.

Nonetheless, keep up the good work!

The green links in the first template clash with the rest of the colors, and I think the body text could use more padding/margin.The second template could also more padding/margin, and the red background color of "Eric Meyers" does not jive well with the rest of the page. I also do not care for the little white strips to the left of each link.Overall, I would say that these are good-looking templates, and the latter two are good applications of the a:hover pseudo-class. I think you'll find that adding more space between the text and the sides of the div provide a cleaner look.

Yeah; I agree - the 1st posted is the best. It flows more, the size is adequate, and even without images, the layout is very nice.
I've been trying a bit of CSS, but I find it to be very difficult. I just stick to HTML and XHTML, which I happen to be rather proficient at.

Nonetheless, keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot. The first one is the first layout I made in CSS that actually started to look a little neat. CSS isn't difficult to learn but being able to use it efficiently sure is :P.

The green links in the first template clash with the rest of the colors, and I think the body text could use more padding/margin.
The second template could also more padding/margin, and the red background color of "Eric Meyers" does not jive well with the rest of the page. I also do not care for the little white strips to the left of each link.

Overall, I would say that these are good-looking templates, and the latter two are good applications of the a:hover pseudo-class. I think you'll find that adding more space between the text and the sides of the div provide a cleaner look.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea, the green doesn't really look that good... but it looked ok at the time. The 'Eric Meyers' was done in a bit of a hurry and just to draw attention to the fact that it was done by Eric Meyers :blink:.

I think you're right about the spacing of the text. But right now, I'm kinda working on another layout. It's almost done, with some bugs in the php code right now. As soon as I get some time, I'm gonna replace the first template with this one.

Thanks guys for taking out your time B).