xisto Community
JohnNitro

I Need Some Help(medical) swollen left side of my jaw,by ear

Yep, Mine is doing the same thing as well. I first noticed it 2 days ago. The swelling is physicaly seen. But I notice it when I clamp my teeth. The right side come together first.My teeth don't hurt at all. But it is directly in front of my left ear. Strangest thing I've ever felt. Doesn't hurt unless I excercise my lower jaw. Yet the pain is in more of the upper reagion.

I have something simular going on right now, my right cheek area is sore and swollen around the the lower jaw and my right ear and right eye have sharp pains around them as well, though they are not swelling. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong please and any possible ways to help heal it?

-reply by EternalDreamer

is jaw ok, or dislocated?I Need Some Help(medical)

ok, today I was with my bf in his car, and anyways he by accident elbowed me right in the bottom of my jaw and after that my left side of my jaw was hurting when I bite hard and when I open it too wide even tho it wasnt a pain to die... And it hurts near my ear...When I try to bite down .Its weird but it doesnt feel broken or dislocated, event tho it does shift a little when I open it and close it . But I think its been like that forever I meana I dunno I think thats just how my jaw is born. But um... If anyone has ever had that pain in the left/right side of the ear and jaw when they bite down after a hit, then pls tell..What happens next. I am scared that I mightve dislocated it which I doubt but...

swollen ear/jaw problem....any ideas?I Need Some Help(medical)For the past couple of days, I have had itchy , popping ears. This was nothing new, and I assumed it was allergies. Yesterday, I was using a q-tip to clean my ears. My left ear seemed to have more discharge than my right ear, but, for some reason, I normally produce a lot of wax. Again, this was not alarming. The q-tip felt so good to my itchy ears that I shoved it in too deep. It hurt for only a moment, and then the small amount of pain subsided. About an hour later, I was eating a bowl of cereal when, ALL OF THE SUDDEN, the top part of my jaw directly in front of my ear lobe began to swell. In the period of about five minutes, it was the size of a walnut! I look like a freaking chipmunk with a walnut in my cheek. But, here is the funny thing. I have absolutely no pain, and my ears are no longer itchy or popping. The swelling goes down as long as I am not trying to eat something. When I eat, the swelling gets worse from the up and down motion created by my jaw when I chew. But still, no pain...Only stiffness that comes from the swelling. I rinsed my ear out with hydrogen peroxide and the swelling started to subside; somewhat. I also need to mention that I was diagnosed with TMJ as a child. I have only had one experience with it, and it was very painful. These symptoms seem similar, but wihout any pain. I do not believe that this is caused by my TMJ for the reasons stated above.( Itchy, popping ears in the beginning, q-tip issue, the fact that the hydrogen peroxide helped, and the fact that I have no pain) If you are one of those goof balls who has ever shoved something in your ear that didn't belong there, I would love to hear your advice or ideas. And, don't worry...I don't judge. Remember...I am one of those goof balls too! I also need to mention that I no longer have my wisdom teeth as they were cut out when I was 19. I have absolutely no mouth pain, and have never even had a cavity. I seriously doubt that any oral health issue relates to my condition. Please don't just tell me to go to the doctor, because that is obvious (even if I AM dumb enough to shove something in my ear) and I already have an appointment. I need your ideas!-question by Heather

right side of lower jaw swelling while eatingI Need Some Help(medical)As my husband was eating supper the right side of lower jaw swelled up and his blood pressure went very high, his hands and feet started to burn really bad. We have talked to his dr. About this before. He doesn't think it is nothing to be alarmed about. But he is in very bad pain. He with his blood pressure shooting up has me very scared. Can someone give me some advise? he is having trouble eating and sleeping with this. Please help-reply by cherrie

Jaw/ear not quite rightI Need Some Help(medical)

I read some of the posts here.  A couple days ago, the left side of my jaw started to hurt really bad when I chewed, but it wasn't tooth pain.  It was more like the jaw.  I've felt tooth pain before, and it wasn't that.  That subsided pretty quickly, so I figured it might have been just an odd anomoly.

Now, my jaw - on the left side - and near my ear feel slightly swollen, and when I close my mouth to chew, the right side seems to close squarely but the left side requires a little extra effort to fully clamp down (with teeth).  I can do it, but it feels funny like the jaw is swollen.  Two days ago, it hurt when doing this.  I took some Ibuprofen and that helped a lot.  Today, it feels better.  Little or no pain - but there is still some slight swelling and the left side of my mouth still doesn't quite close up when closing fully when chewing without a little more effort.  It's better, but doesn't feel exactly right.

It's almost like the jaw feels like it is out of alignment a little bit.  The only thing I can recall, as far as any trauma, was chewing on a granola bar and there was kind of a hard piece that hurt a little when I bit down on it.  Nothing all that bad, but I do recall it and it hurt a little.  But, it didn't seem like something that would cause several days of discomfort in my jaw.

I am going to give it over the weekend, and if it does not go away or improve considerably, I am going to see the doc.  Who knows, he may end up sending me to the dentist too - I don't know.

-reply by Mark

TMJ, I have that on both sides of my jaw, right and left pop on occasion and used to become locked fairly often. Now of course the locking is gone, but the popping still remains. You're pain is probably from grinding or clenching your teeth at night. I don't really know much else about it, just that my dentist doesn't seem too bothered by it, but he did make me a mouth guard to sleep with at night and it cost me a friggin arm and a leg... So, I suggest the football mouth pieces just heat it up and mold your teeth... It's like ten bucks and mouth guards cost about 500 so do the math I guess.. Just go to the doc though. I don't pretend to know much, just that a few of the things you've written remind me of myself.

Same thingI Need Some Help(medical)

The same exact thing happened to me! And it hurts to close my mouth all the way, open my mouth beyond a certain extent, and to chew.  If you find anything out, could you please let me know so I can figure out how to make it feel better?

Thanks so much!!

Charli

left jaw under ear swollenI Need Some Help(medical)
so yesterday at some time in 5pm. I was eatingSome rice, my left side of my jaw feel weird. It doesn't hurt or anything likeThat.  it was more like a after workout cram.  then later that nightAround 9pm. I had another meal and the discomfort of my left jaw seem to beWorsen when the top and bottom of my left side jaw touch while chewing. when I woke out in the morning today at 9Am. I look in the mirror, theLeft side of my jaw under my ear is swollen.  it is now 10:30am and IFound this site. I saw a description by robinhoon seem to be accurate with myCondition.

"Does it seem like a small bone protruding? withA slightly sharp edge? and is it located near your earlobe?  if thats the case, there nothing to worry, itsJust the swelling of a gland and will subside."

if this is the case, I will massage it lightlyAnd hopefully it will go away by tomorrow. I will post when there is anImprovement.

Jaw problem might be a TMJ DisorderI Need Some Help(medical)

I could hear my jaw clicking from time to time.Was told that I have a TMJdisorder. temporarily, my dentist asked me to wear a mouth guard every night especially when I clench and grind my teeth. Now I experience lesser jaw pain.Usually, my jaw feels tired at the end of the day.. To the extent as if my jaw wants to drop.  try asking for a mouth guard from your dentist. It's affordable. Massage does help as well.

-reply by rain

Sudden swollen jaw and right side of faceI Need Some Help(medical)

A few months ago when chewing a thick chewy sandwich, I felt like my right jaw popped out of place.  The whole right side of my face and jaw by my right ear swelled up.  By the next morning, it was perfectly fine.  It did it again yesterday, however,  when I was eating and chewing for a long time and although the swelling is once again gone, it still feels a little tender and a bit swollen.  It wasn't painful when it happened, but felt uncomfortable with the sudden swelling.  On both circumstances, I was tense when I was eating and wondered if that could have had anything to do with it? I will have it checked out, but wondered if anyone one else has experienced a similar problem and if they found out what the cause was.

-reply by Marie