xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
helric

Gentoo Linux - How Many Users Out There ? gentoo linux distro

Parted can re-size your partitons without deleting the data on them.

for example, if your windows partiton has 20Gb free, you could shink it by 10Gb, and make a new 10Gb linux partiton.

Next time you boot windows, it would be exactly the same, but show a 110Gig disk instead of 120.

As for the boot loader....
The boot loader is installed to the MBR. moving everything to /slacky/ will only move the boot loaders config file /boot/grub/menu.lst

when you install gentoo, this will be replaced by gentoo's grub config file.

when you move back to slackware, you would delete everything gentoo, and move slackware's grub config back into /boot.

In Theory, the boot loader should not be messed up.

and if the boot loader does stop working, you can fix it with the command

grub-install /dev/hda

Hi Quijibow,I'll try it out for sure now. I'll do it as soon as I get some free time. Got some exams coming up :D. Thanks for the detailed info.

When I decided two days ago that I wanted to start messing around with Linux, I immediately went for Gentoo. I downloaded a Stage 3 Live CD ISO, as well as a package ISO (from work, where I have access to broadband). I would have liked to have gone with a Stage 1, however I am on a dial-up and that would not have been practical. This leads me to my next point...

That package CD does not contain a full KDE or GNOME GRP. I found this out after spending eight hours compiling and installing the kernel, the boot loader, Xorg, Xterm, and all that stuff. I was not pleased.

Gentoo was loads of fun though. That may sound strange, but I've been coding since I was 12, and I started my computing life with DOS. Because of these two things, the Gentoo installation procedure wasn't too foreign for me.

Also, I won't say that my time spent installing a doomed Gentoo system was wasted. Quite the opposite really. Now that I'm using Fedora 4 (install time ~10 minutes, including compilation), I actually know my system. I can make changes to fstab, the network configuration, and all that stuff without having to figure out where the GUI app is.

Now, if only I could find a guide to recompiling the Fedora kernel...

And find the disk partitioner..

Eh, I'm new :D

But yea, Gentoo is very cool. Just about any distro that allows you to compile the kernel during the installation procedure is cool in my book. For instance, I don't have an ISDN connection, and I don't use PCMCIA, SICI, or anything like that. With Gentoo, I can just not compile that stuff into the kernel. With Fedora, I have no choice in the matter.

Go Go Gentoo EMERGE!

QBRADQ

Compileing the kernel is exactly the same in all distro's

cd into the kernel source.

prepair the kernel tree for a re-compile

make mrproper && make clean

optional: copy a base config file
gzcat /proc/config.gz > ./.config

optional: id the base config was for a different kernel version, update the config file.
make oldconfig

optional: tweak the kernel config
make menuconfig

compile the kernel, compile the drivers.
make bzImagemake modules

install the kernel
mv arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bxImage-versionmake modules_install

and finally edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
to load the new kernel.

Wow... 8 hours compile time just for the kernel !!!
lucky me with my AMD64 3400+ :D

i can usually get a Full KDE desktop compiled from stage3 in an afternoon.