xisto Community
finaldesign1405241487

How To Unlock AMD Duron 1600 Mhz? anone knows that pencil trick?

Hey!I started to overclock my computer. So far, I overclocked my graphic card (Gainward Geeforce Mx440) and it works fine...Now I want to overclock my Duron1600 cpu, but it has locked multipliers. So, if anyone knows how to unlock it, please let me know, or post some links about it... thanks! :D

In stead of me trying to explain it, you should go to overclockers.com as it is best if you see the pictures they provide in their tutorials.Underneath the warranty sticker on the top of the CPU you'll find the area you want to draw with a pencil.Whenever you remove a heat sink/fan off your CPU it's best to remove the old thermal pad and replace it with thermal paste, never resit the CPU back on without replacing it, else you run even greater risks of having the CPU burn.If your computer doesn't start up, don't panic, it's quite possibly motherboard related protection, in which case if you reset the speed back to normal, the CPU may still be able to run. Just some words of advice when I started out overclocking.Cheers,MC

I'm not realy shure about this one, but it might be that you Duron is one with the new lock. Problem is, you can't unlock it the easy way. You'll have to mod it to a mobile cpu so you can change multi's on the fly. This only works on a few chipsets (not the Nforce chipset, but it works on the KT400's ).Now, the pencil trick won't work either, you'll need to do it with silver conductive paint (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) <- check out vid2 on how you should do it.

Thanks very much for such quick replys. I diassembled my computer yesterday and I upgraded it with new Watercooling system from ThermalTake (BigWater). I think that it would be enough to keep it all cooled when I try to overclock. Anyway, as I can't find much about it on google how to overclock that specific duron processor, here is my cpu, ramo, and other info:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If anyone know little more details about this specific cpu, and stuff, and how to overclock it, please let me know... thanks! :D

ouch, KM400, from what I've heard, it's a bad chip to overclock (no AGP/PCI lock).

Maybe you can find something usefull here ? http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks, I've been there, but didn't find very much usefull information, that's too advanced info for me, there is no much explanation... do you know maybe how can I check for sure if my CPU is locked or unlocked one?

I've been able to overclock it sucessfully from 1,6ghz to 2,0 ghz. Actually I found instructions printed on MBO that show exact position for switches to change CPU FSB. and if I raze it, AGP and PCI freq. remain the same... so I can't hurt to the system just CPU, am I right?

anyway here are some specs after overclock:

Posted Image

Taken from CPU-z:

CPU(s) 

Number of CPUs  1

Name  AMD Duron

Code Name  Applebred

Specification  AMD Duron processor

Family / Model / Stepping 6 8 1

Extended Family / Model 7 8

Package  Socket A

Core Stepping  B0