xisto Community
mitchellmckain

My Website Is Still Not On Google will registering a domain help?

Sorry to repeat an old topic, but I haven't made any progress.It has been several months and despite several attempts to get my web site on google. Nothing. I am pretty sure if it was hosted at my old university the site would be on google within a week. My old outdated university website which I no longer have any control over is still there on google.In a few days I will be presenting my physics of space flight simulator at a conference of the American Association of Physics Teachers. I would really like to make some progress on this problem. I am now considering registering a domain name. The question is, will that help at all?I would really appreciate someone checking the website html if you think the problem is there. Or any other help? I have already tried submitting it to google and to some other topical listing sites months ago.

First of all, here's the the link to the page where you can add your site's URL to Google. You may have already done this, I don't know, but it's well worth repeating in case you haven't. Still, like Google says on that page, there are no guarantees if or when your page will appear on their searches.

Now, on to the real problem. Or at least the more serious one.

I did some checking of your HTML code, and there were some very... glaring mistakes there. First of all, you don't have any opening and closing <html>...</html> tags at the beginning and end of your document, as well as some other important tags. When I saw the missing tags, I thought it might have been something on my browser's end (I use Firefox), but it's the same when I view the page in Internet Explorer. It's a wonder that the browser was able to render your page at all!

Since your tags are misplaced, your meta tags which would have helped put your webpage in search engines have been rendered useless. I wish I could go more into it, but unfortunately I have very little time remaining to stay online at the time of this writing. So, I would suggest you brush up on your HTML â there are some excellent online tutorials such as can be found on w3schools.

Hope this helps! I'll try to get back later if I can to help out more fully.

Edit: Just fixed some minor typos â nothing major.

I also noticed a lack of the opening and closing HTML they are simply not there...I guess the reason for XHTML the page would not and will not display using XHTML standards which will become common soon.I believe that if this is corrected and the meta which is in fact there were tweaked al little bit he would in fact be listed, but as far as the bot is concerned it is a non existant page because it doesn't follow XHTML rules. Get HTML Kit or some other eidtor and run HTML Tidy on that site and it will correct the page or pages to at least where a bot can see it.By the way I trained pilots and aircrews with flight similators for the A7E and S3A aircraft back in the 1970's and was considering a job as an instructor for the Space Shuttle even before the first flight...did not do that just went home and became a data tech and electrician.Loved my similators though, we kinda played a lot of games and pushed the envelope of the crafts and condidtions, it was really great fun as a job!

You need to do something in a hurry - go to Gotlinks.Com or some similar Links Exchange site and add your site to their directory. Then create some blank page in your site (linked from your index.html) and embed the link that gotlinks gives you in that page. I did this and my page had come up in the listing to the second results page on google within 3-4days (there were about 800-900 sites linking back to me).Also goto some MetaTag analyzer page and check out how your page meta tags evaluate against the content and title of your page. These are two prime determinant factors... there of hundreds of others too - but I'm no guru at SE optimizing your pages.. OpaQue's the pro at it. You should ask him.Regards,m^e

The first thing to explain is that your HTML writing skills are of absolutely no concern to the Google indexing spider. It is looking at the text portion and links of your website only.You can write your page in only the most basic HTML and the spider will be even more likely to index you properly.Next, in order for your website index.html to be listed on Google, it will need a link from another web page. The better the web page that links to you, the higher up in relevence you will be listed.Your old site probably did do well and here is why.Because you were hosted on the university server and probably listed somewhere on there homepage list, your site was linked to by a very high ranking website. University websites tend to be high ranking.Additionally, each page is ranked individually so being linked on the worst page of a high ranking website doesn't help.Also, how are you searching for your site on Google? My site will not show if I search for the URL on Google but if a search for a unique keyword that appears on my website, Google will list it. Also, if I search for the topic of my website, several thousand results are shown but I have never read down the list far enogh to find my site.Remember that the spiders are looking for completely different than your visitor want to see. Meaning, spiders look for text and link content while users want flashy graphics and neat features.The spiders find you by following links on other sites. Being listed on other sites is the best way to boost your site listing in Google.vujsa

WELL, since nobody mentioned the more obvious of problems...And I may be missing something here.

But as far as I know, almost EVERY websearch bot looks for this file: robots.txt

This tells the bot what it can and cannot index.
Not sure if it will help much, but I'd give it a shot.

Link to know everything about robots.txt:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also, he's a link to a site which should help you do what it takes to get your website into a search engine.

This is the source from the page in question minus many noncritical parts:

<meta name="keywords" content="relspace physics relativity simulator space flight relativistic black hole galaxy galactic star cluster simultaneity"><meta name="description" content="shareware educational simulator called relspace demonstrating special and general relativity on the stage of nearby planetary, stellar and galactic space"><head></head><body background="images/image001.jpg"> <a href='http://directory.astahost.com/Xisto-Member-Pages/' > Xisto Forums Directory</a ></center></body>
I took out most of the body but the rest is as is... no opening <html> or closing </html> and there are no commas even with robots.txt it couldn't index the page because it is not valid HTML much less XHTML

relspace physics relativity simulator space flight relativistic black hole galaxy galactic star cluster simultaneity

to a robot is one word and will never be searched for... or am I way out in left field? I did correct the problem and even emailed it to the originator but have not recieved a response, but at least add the html open and close tags and insert commas between keywords. I even included each keyword capitalized just as insurance and out of habit.

...But as far as I know, almost EVERY websearch bot looks for this file: robots.txt

This tells the bot what it can and cannot index.
Not sure if it will help much, but I'd give it a shot.

Link to know everything about robots.txt:

The trouble with the robots.txt standard is that you can't tell if a webcrawler or searchbot is actually doing what you prescribe. So instead of ignoring those folders that you specify as disallow, it might just do the opposite.
This also is true for hackers or other people with lesser intentions.

Thank you everyone (Hraefn, Houdini, microscopic^earthling, vujsa, spacewaste, dukdalf) for your time, help and comments. Unlike most people on this forum I have never made a great deal of effort to learn html. So I apologize for being such a dunderhead. It looks like there were possibly overlapping reasons for not getting onto google. A misunderstanding of robot.txt function being one of them. But I ran the HTML Kit TIDY and fixed the html code as well according to all of your collective suggestions. And now I will try the Google link again, and I will try Gotlinks.Com as well.Thanks again.

Sorry to repeat an old topic, but I haven't made any progress.

It has been several months and despite several attempts to get my web site on google. Nothing.  I am pretty sure if it was hosted at my old university the site would be on google within a week.  My old outdated university website which I no longer have any control over is still there on google.

In a few days I will be presenting my physics of space flight simulator at a conference of the American Association of Physics Teachers.  I would really like to make some progress on this problem.  I am now considering registering a domain name.  The question is, will that help at all?

I would really appreciate someone checking the website html if you think the problem is there.  Or any other help?  I have already tried submitting it to google and to some other topical listing sites months ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It once took me a few weeks before my website appeared on google, if not you should try sending the message again. They may not have gotten your application. I have a feeling that wont help, I registered a freewebs one on google and if you look at some searches, they are subdomains, your best bet would be to keep trying and waiting. How long have you been waiting?

ok, I don't have much time to go over the other people's suggestion. Here, All I can understand is that you are trying to get your site on google. Here are the things you should check before you begin to.

1 > Is your site neatly designed.? Does it show out the theme of your site ? Is it easily navigable

THIS is something which you must keep in mind.. always ( https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769 ) byheart it..

2> Now, that you have made your site good n perfect, Go to DMOZ.org and find an appropriate category and submit your site. This is the reason I suggested your site to be neat and clean in point No.1. Since, real humans who hardly have any time to care for you... will check your site :D

3> Go to https://www.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2Fsubmit-url&followup=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2Fsubmit-url and submit your site there.

4> If you have a fairly large site, Go to https://www.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2F&followup=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2F and use the feature called sitemap which allows google to index your complete site.

5> Hunt for friends and pals on the net who have their websites already indexed in google and tell them to put a link to your site.

6> PAGERANK is a very important thing you have to consider. If you put your link on a site with pagerank 9, your site would be indexed within 2-3 days. but thats not possible.. LOL. So now you have to check that the pages who link to you have atleast a PR of 2. To check page rank go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Pagerank is a crappy technology from google which helps the rich to grow more rich and poor to rot in hell. Ahem.. Well, in other words, unless other sites don't link you, no matter how great your site is, Google will pay no heed for it. So, you have to impress google by improving your pagerank. It is a simple no, which determines the no. of people linking your site. The nos. are in logarithmic fasion. So getting PR6 is 10000 times difficult than getting PR5. And getting PR4 is 100 times difficult than getting PR3. I hope you get my point.

Bravo for you, I hope you enjoy now getting all kinds of hits and are able to share the knowledge you appparently love so much...Glad to be of any small help (Former US Navy similator operator, programmer and maintainer...A7E attack aircraft and S3A antisubmarine warfare).