xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cyph3r

Newly Hosted .. Need Help With Questions ..

What I ment by that was, I added some did some work in notepad: a small title and background effect, and uploaded to a folder I created in Cpanel. I did get to delete those files in the public_html folder, but what I was wonder was if when I did that, would I be able to see MY title and background effect page that I uploaded. I must be doing something wrong, because now when I go to my webpage, all I get is a list of directories, starting with the parent directory then some things that start with vti. I don't know what to do.

What I ment by that was, I added some did some work in notepad: a small title and background effect, and uploaded to a folder I created in Cpanel. I did get to delete those files in the public_html folder, but what I was wonder was if when I did that, would I be able to see MY title and background effect page that I uploaded. I must be doing something wrong, because now when I go to my webpage, all I get is a list of directories, starting with the parent directory then some things that start with vti. I don't know what to do.

Alright then, let's take this in order :lol:...

First of all, the public_html is the folder where you store anything and everything that you need for your Website. All the html, css, and the like. If you deleted it, no worries, just create it again, and make sure it's in lowercase.

So if you deleted, all its contents will be gone. And when you try to use your Internet Browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, etc.), it won't find anything there. The reason you're seeing the list of directories is that you have the Indexing enabled on that folder. Just log into your cPanel, and look for Index Manager... It's easy to understand what it is from the description, but if you're having trouble, just come back here again :lol:. Now, to make sure that neither you nor anyone else can see the directories you have, just disable the indexing service by choosing "no indexing" on the folders you want.

As for the vti files and folders, these are installed with the FrontPage extensions. I suppose you chose to install it. They're only important if you're going to use FrontPage.

Hope that helped :).

Ok, I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm doing wrong. I went to the 'index manager' and to the 'public_html' folder. I clicked on / which was the 'current folder' then checked 'no indexes'. When I went to my webpage, I got this error message: You don't have permission to access / on this server.Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Apache/1.3.34 Server at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Port 80Is it something in my scripting that may have caused an error, or is it something I am doing wrong in the CPanel? Does anyone know?

Edited by lonebyrd (see edit history)