xisto Community
Scribe

Where Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

reset windows password with Windows Password UnlockerWhere Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

1. Login to a computer that can link to Internet. Download Windows Password Unlocker 4.0 and decompress it on that PC. Note that: there is a .ISO file. Burn the .ISO file to a CD.

2 Get out the newly created CD and insert it to the locked computer.

3 re-booted the locked computer and then followed the process of instructions. Just a few steps, the old password was removed.'''

4 Setting new password:

Step one: Open the "Control Panel"

Step two: Click the "User Account "

Step three: Select the account you wanna to set a new password.

Step four: Click "changing Account " and "set up password", then fill out the form as listed. Click "Create Password".

-reply by happykaka

the way to reset windows password without data lossWhere Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

you can search for a password boot disk which will disablethe administrator password.

There are dozens of these types of programs but oneprogram I recommend is windows password reset 6.0http://www.resetwindowspassword.com/

Download the iso file and burn it to a disk to create the boot disk, that simple.

Configure your pc or laptop to boot in the cd drive, insert the CD andit would boot then just disable the password and restart.

Took about 5 minutesfor the whole process.

-reply by linky

xp access through usb hard drive...bypass loginWhere Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

I had a hard drive crash? virus? Anyhow it was an excuse to build a new machine. My new mother board would not accept IDE hard drives...So I bought two new serieal drives. Now to my question.

My old drive was password protected on login...I have tried a IDE to serieal converter...But something in the registry is really bad and windows will not recover or reload.  With the converter I have access to all my shared files and pictures...And have transfered them to the new drive.  But my user files, that were under the password protected login I can not access.  Is there a was to drop the password from this file so I can pull the files I need(I know the password) Mind you I can not load or log into this installation of windows , reading drive as a mass storage USB device.

-question by james

Getting access to password locked profileWhere Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

in response to 

--------------------------

xp access through usb hard drive...Bypass login

My old drive was password protected on login...I have tried a IDE toSerieal converter...But something in the registry is really bad andWindows will not recover or reload.  With the converter I have accessTo all my shared files and pictures...And have transfered them to theNew drive.  But my user files, that were under the password protectedLogin I can not access.

-question by james

-------------------------------------------------

While your profile may be locked from a password the files are not actually locked.  Unfortunately Windows does not want to allow you (even the administrator) to access user files that have a password attached to them.

Linux on the other hand could care less if you password your files. I personally use mac for my hard drive recovery. MacFuse will allow you to read and write the ntfs or fat32 files and recover them to whatever medium you are interested in.

Alternatively if you lose your root access on a linux or mac machine. Windows will walk through its security too... However if you are savvy you can fix a mac or linux machine with itself... Windows is not so simple.

-reply by Volure DarkAngel

How to change the windows password in SAM file?Where Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

You can change the windows password stored in the SAM file with ease. In ubuntu ther is a package called "chntpw" using which u can easly change the password

To get the Account details use the command:

chntpw -l /media/window-drive/Windows/System32/config/SAM

To change the password use the command

chntpw -I /media/window-drive/Windows/System32/config/SAM

-reply by sachinjose

how to get password of administration accountWhere Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

I have done many search to get administration password. Someone told me that the administration account can be accessed in safe mode.. But its not true.. I have tried it. By seeing above posts about SAM file, can anyone tell me how to get password from SAM file? is there any software for this ? 

-reply by Jawad

Your all wrongWhere Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

Well it seems that everyone here does not know as I do and anyone can get this password at any time instanly if they would like and if they had a lets say certain app. It comes from the far off land that is the web as we know it aaa and can be found in the domain of Nirsoft at least one of them did it for me and with no hasle or complaining of any sort my drea readers. Now off be gone and go crack away. In which it is it is not cracking at all since it only displays the login password of your windows you are currently logged into so how is that hacked lol. So smoke that all who say na. :P

P.S I'm a serious though people I don't know what world you think you live in but get real any key can be made equal thus making it open. That is what this app did for me it instanly could read the Hash or what have you since I have no clue how it works but I can imageing that is what it is doing and it the Hash is there and what it is reading as that is thus than POOF key aquaired. PERIOD. I also believe I told you all but it should be at the place called "Nirsoft" dot "net" "Kniw Kniw" you know. Now get going.

-reply by Yoda

what happens if the SAM files in the location described are deleted?Where Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

If the SAM file is deleted from the location.. After boot screen loading the windows shows up with the error something like "account admin management error occured.." and the system will be restarted. Once the SAM file is deleted it cannot be replcaed with another one. Or else it will still show up the same error until the original file is replaced.---> use DreamPackPL, ERD commander, chntpw from ubuntu /*live, ophcrack. Hope these might help to solve the problem :)

-reply by Bharane

Remove password and then reverse?Where Does Windows Xp Store Its Passwords ?

I want to access the administrator account on my computer. Unfortunately, only my parents know the password. I want to remove the password, login, and then put the old password back. That's why I need to know where does Windows XP or 7 (I have 2 computers with the same situation ^_^ ) store the passwords and if it is possible to access those files and/or registry keys from Linux, copy them, change them, and the when finished working put them back. I know about chantpw but it only removes the password which is not what I'm looking for..

-reply by Vasil