xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
coconut_ddd

Digital Camera? Good For Movie Clips?

well i mean technicly i guess its good enough. but then again most digital cameras that arnt made for makeing movies usualy have a very small video size and you will need to have a big card or more thean one if you dont want to always have to goto the computer and put the videos there till you can use the chip again.

I believe that there is a good side and a bad side to camera filming. The bad side is that most are recorded in a .mov extension, which only plays in quicktime player. This is annoying if you want to post your videos on the web, because the preferred video extension is mpeg. It is hard to find a free converter without limitations. The good side is that it is perfect for short clips, and they are recorded in an "okay" quality, so the size will be small and will not require reduction. If you take video recorded by a camcorder, the size will naturally be larger and require minimizing. So, in the end, it just turns out to if you really need it or not.

It depends entirely on what you want to do with the video clips. If you just want to show them on your computer, it would be fine. Depending on the resolution, it might not look as good when you display in on your big screen television.Most digital cameras have a zoom for photos, but not all of them allow for a zoom in on the video.Do you already have a digital camera?One thing to think about is the software used to create a movie. I'm sure that with a little imagination, you would be able to put together several one minute clips to make a nice sized movie.With different programs, you can add text inbetween segments, which could helo if the audio portion of the clips isn't easy to hear. Give it sort of an old movie look.And while Agatha swims in the ocean, across the miles, Reginald sits in his car waiting for the ice cream to melt.....that sort of text.Many cameras come with software to do movies and there are many programs that are free or shareware online.Let us know what you finally do.

I'm quite opinionated in this topic, but use a camera for taking pictures, and use a videocam for taking video. You'll only be disappointed if you try to mix and match.

I think they are fine for video quality if you have a decent enough digital camera, but the main problem in my opinion is the quality of the audio. Usually it will be through a poor quality receptor and as has already been stated, the files save in MOV which is not as useful as AVI or MPG.

I am going to be a little opinionated on this topic, but I work for a small video production company. Can you take movies with your digital camera? Yes. Quality-wise they are not going to be great, but I never underestimate cleverness. If you really want to do video, get a video camera. As far as digital camera's saving to the Quicktime format, that is really a good thing. People here seem to be against the format, but it is the default of the small video production industry. Most every editing program worht anything, including the blender (https://www.blender.org/) sequencer, can import and use quicktime .mov files so long as they are not encoded with a funky codec. However that problem is no different if you have an AVI or MPEG encoded in a funky codec. Blender 3D by the way is a free 3d Animation program for Linux/Windows/Mac/Sun/FreeBSD under 6MB download and very powerful. Trade off: learning curve is a real pain. For video editing, if you own a Mac, your lucky: iMovie is quite impressive and easy to use. $500 for a Mac Mini might be the cheapest editing box in the world especially now with the 512MB base Ram. If you own a PC or Mac buy QuickTime Pro. You can do some limited editing on the PC or Mac version of QuickTime Pro and it is by far the best $30 anyone that will be doing video just because it is the swiss army knife of video converters. Here comes my rule of thumb: if QuickTime Pro can't convert the format: You shouldn't be using it!If you are on the PC platform Avid offers a version of their software Avid Express DV for free: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ you are on Windows and cheap: consider Axogen compositor from http://www.blenderwars.com/. It is free, can do a lot more than just editing, and will render final output in either AVI or MOV. It can import any standard MOV file as well for editing. You can even do Blue/Green Screen compositing. Anyway, here are some suggestions to help you on the editing side.

I own a Sony-P72 DSC and it can record movie clips for as long as the memory stick allows. The max. resolution for the clips is 640x480 (VGA) and the zoom function cannot be used, although you can set the zoom before recording. Unfortunately. the flash cannot be used so it's best used outdoors on a sunny day. For indoors, it gets grainy unless there's sufficient lighting. I guess it depends on the size of the CCD and the camera, and also whether a lighting source can be mounted. Now that I have a digital video camera, I have no need to use the movie function on my digital camera, except maybe to record sound. The best thing about recording on a digital camera is that it loads directly on the computer using a USB cable without needing to convert the files (.mpg or quicktime), unless you want to convert to other formats.For quality recording, I wouldn't recommend using a digital camera.