xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
turehu1405241506

Loading Up My Webpage confused

This may be teething woes of a newby but today I got my approval for free webhosting which is great. I am very pleased about that. Problem is that I can't for the life of me find a way to go to the file directory of my new URL in the server to load my website and to carry out edits if I need to. I have never come across a more confusing web hosting facility!! :)

Congrats on the approval.

Do you have any experience using cPanel? It's very simple to use even for newbies.

What's the problem you are having right now? You have to login to cPanel. For example, you have to go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ where username is the username you applied for in your application. Just enter the username and password you created and it should get you into cPanel. Then if you want to start the webpage, go to the File Manager and begin from there.

For an overview of cPanel's features, go here.

Well this is progress!!. I found the cpanel (I am even getting used to the jargon). Now I am faced with an array of confusing choices. I dont want to spend the rest of my life learning how to use every single feature of "cpanel". I am a simple person. I get in, I find a file manager, Idownload my website and I go back and edit the relevant parts of the page that needing editing. Perhaps I am not cut out to this multitude of choices stuff. I think I will look around for something more simple and straitforward to use. :)

You don't need to use all the features in cPanel. I don't even use most of them. The File Manager should be enough for you if you do simple tasks.If you want to edit the file, just click on the file once. Then on the right hand panel, you will see a list of options. Choose Edit File and you can then edit the file. Save it and that's it.

You don't need to use cpanel even :) I use it to creae email account, subdomains etc. But never for editting files. I create my pages locally, for which I have a server running on my machine. Then I just use FileZilla (FTP Program) to put my files, graphics etc in the correct directory (public_html)