xisto Community
Zageyiff

Share Broadband Internet Connection How to Share BroadBand InterNet Connecti

I'm trying to share the internet connection with no success.I have Internet with CableAccess. I'm using a SB5100 Motorola Modem.I have a hub, and old one (but working really fine).I connect two computers and the modem to the hub. I have proof some configuratiosn, but none of those works.I set the two computers using dynamic IP (thus my ISP config uses DHCP), but just one computers has internetThen I tried to set one as a default gateway, and config the other with a ststaic IP, first with and IP in the same range as the other IP's machine, then tried 192.168.0.1, then 192.168.0.2. But not workingThen i had the idea to set the gateway the same in the two computers, the one given by the DHCP server, and one IP static, and one dynamic.But none of this seem to work. :) Have any ideas?? Is it posiible to do that using a hub, or do I need a router? :P

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that as long as your hub is only a hub the whole thing will not work, what you need is a router! You could buy one or built one on your own out of an old computer, using fli4l http://www.fli4l.de/en/ or similar software.

An alternative would be Windows' ICS, Internet Connection Sharing, but for this the 'second' computer alway needs the first one to be running.

GreetingZ

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that as long as your hub is only a hub the whole thing will not work, what you need is a router! You could buy one or built one on your own out of an old computer, using fli4l http://www.fli4l.de/en/ or similar software.

An alternative would be Windows' ICS, Internet Connection Sharing, but for this the 'second' computer alway needs the first one to be running.

GreetingZ

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But, how would that work if the old computer only has one enthernet slot?

I recommend just getting a router, as it would be much easier.

The internet sharing option through windows xp may work to though...

I'm not really all that familiar with the set up.

If I'm not wrong, a hub is used in the center of a network where data flow is transfered around like a big spider web. The router splits the internet connection to the computers connected in the network but it doesn't mean that you can transfer data through from the computer-router-computer. I tried that and it doesn't seem possible. From my knowledge i believe a hub should be like a router of sorts but it doesn't work with certain types of networks. I use a wireless network with a Cable modem (Motorola), wireless router, network router (2 telephone ports for cable phone connection), and finally the wireless adapter itself to your computer. I'm trying to transfer data from one computer to another but it doesn't seem possible for my computer to interact with anything other than the router itself. I believe it's supposed to be able to work because hackers who tap into your UNSECURED wireless network (If you didn't secure it) may be able to see your every doings. So how do i do it? :)

Not being a complete computer-geek-guru myself... the only way I was able to get my home network up and running was to toss my old "hub" and invest in a Router. The router takes care of the DCHP handling for the computer's attached to it... the only thing I had to do was have the Router clone the MAC address of my cable modem... and my network was off and running.If you are hoping to save as much money as possible, the older style Routers (not wireless) are very cheap right now. However, if I was to be going out and purchasing one now myself, I would ensure that I could buy something that would last me for a few years, and would invest in the wireless "G" routers. That way, I would have at least some comfort knowing that what I just spent my money on would last me for a good 5 years at least.Hope that helps.

So... there's no way of sharing theinternet with a hub??? :) Still thinking someway it should work, having ine machine with dynamic IP, and setting this as gateway, and the other woth static IP. I think having one IP valid (as form the modem as for the machine) it should be posiible, but can't figure it out.I don't wan't to spend money buying a router...

but it doesn't mean that you can transfer data through from the computer-router-computer. I tried that and it doesn't seem possible.

Yes, you can. Not only do I remember that from the whole theory behind the router on the way to my Network+ Certificate, but in fact my own sysem is set up that way, and I transfer data from one machine to another all the time.
As far as using the hub to divide your Internet connection among two computers at once, I don't think that that can be done, but I'm not absolutely sure. The problem will be that your ISP will not see the hub; the hub is a passive device, and your ISP will see two or more different hosts, the end-user computers, hooked up to one connection at the same time, which isn't allowed in TCP/IP.

With your using a hub... I would think you would need to have your cable modem connected directly to your main computer's Ethernet connection... then have a 2nd Ethernet connection available in that computer to connect to that hub, and thus to the other computers in your home network.Then, connected like that, you could setup your main computer for "Internet Connection Sharing"... and the hub would simply route the rest of your home networked computers thru that main computer's Cable connection???At least... without a router to take care of the DCHP for you, I think this is the way you would need to accomplish this. Hope it helps some at least.

So I can't with the hub, so what I did, something similar to the previous post, was to connect the modem motorola trough the usb port and with the driver that comes it makes the machine to see it like another connection more.So now i have the ethernet port free. With this now i can share the internet.So what is next is easy to do, share the connection, and configure the two machines.So righ now they are workin perfectly :P unfortunatelly I think there's no way to do it through the hub, I thought it was posiible. :P but tnx for the help :D

I had my broadband access shared by a hub for several years (prior to getting a wireless router free with a DSL upgrade). Technically, it is possible, but you have to configure a host computer to act as a router to the other computers. You connect them all together via the hub, with the uplink port being filled by your broadband modem, and the rest being filled by individual computers. Now, since I was running on a Mac, I used a program called IPNetRouter (now IPNetRouterX for Mac OS X), but I'm assuming there's an equivalent for Windows out there somewhere (search for soft router or software router). The concept is simple: Have one computer connect to the internet through the hub normally. Launch the software router software. On the other computers, manually configure them to connect to the router's IP, which should be listed somewhere on the router software's window or settings. From that point, it's just a manner of testing to see if it works. I had my router on a Mac Performa 638 for about 3 years. That's a 33mhz machine, and I didn't notice any speed issues at all. True, if you want your network up and running, you need that host computer running 24/7. However, an added benefit was that the host computer acted as a firewall to the rest, and I'm sure that if you have some more software you could make a pretty decent server out of it.So, it is possible. You just need to know how to do it.

It is possable though a hub, but you will need one computer to perform all the NAT (network address translation)The computer performing the NAT will either need 2 ethernet cards, or it will need to be running Linux / FreeBSD / UNIX*nix systems like linux can allow a single network card to work like 2 seperate network cards with half the bandwidth.Can windows do this ? i dont think so ?Anyway, Set all the machines on your LAN to use static IP'sOne of the Internet shareing computers's Netowrk cards should be static 192.168.1.1. other computers on your LAN should have similar 192.168.1.X with netmask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1, and NameServer 192.168.1.1.set the second network card on the shareing machine (or the virtual network card) to use DHCP.and enable NAT and forwarding on the internet connection shareing machine.Provided the the NAT computer is turned on, the other computers wil be able to share its internet connection.If you have an old machine lying around, these are perfect to turn into dedicated NAT routers / proxy's / firewalls.

*nix systems like linux can allow a single network card to work like 2 seperate network cards with half the bandwidth.

Can windows do this ? i dont think so ?

no, you're right, windows can't do that. i tried god knows how many times to get it to work like that, called networking services, they weren't enthusiastic about the idea, but they tried and failed.
So similar to yours, what i did eventually was buy a second NIC, which only costs a couple $, and set the one connected to the broadband as 203.x.x.x, (the cable modem IP) with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1, and the other computers use DHCP to assign Ip addresses. they all work fine, and i get the same bandwidth from each of them--contrary to what i was told before, that the main computer would suck up more than half and then the rest would be split between the rest of them. One thing i wasn't able to do though... get 2 computers directly conencted to the modem. one through LAN and one through USB.

The easiest way to share the broadband connection is to use a router. I use a Linksys broadband router with built in 4 port switch and wirless access point. If you setup one pc with a modem and share the connection with the rest of your network then that pc has to be on all the time which defeats the object of having your internet connection shared, why not just use the one that is switched on. If you setup a pc to act as a router then you lose the functionalaty(spelling???) of the pc.A good broadband router with builtin wirless access point costs less than £90 so it makes sense to go with that option and it means that you get all you DHCP and firewall need done for you.

I think :-go to control panel-click Network Connections-right click on your local area connection (or your connection)-click advance menu bar-click setting-and then tick to the off menu, then click ok-click allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection-click allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection-click ok-DONE!or if you cannot do it, I am sorry but I can fix it with this method

I use a simple setup at work.... ADSL Trought a CPU Gateway/Firewall (Win2k ICS Machine). Since i have a Speedtouch 510 (4-port router), with a buited-in firewall, my network is safe and my web access is very fast (4Mbit). At home i use ICS on Windows XP to give internet to everyone.