xisto Community
JMC1405241503

OpenOffice Or Microsoft ? openoffice.org or Microsoft Office

I've always really liked Microsoft's office products. I'm a huge fan of 2003, mainly because it's the latest version that I have (been using it for a year or so now) and it's only given me problems once. (I blame the old computer that I was using for said problems, as the exact same install works on all the systems I've used since.)It's easy to use ... no learning curve when I go to the public PC labs here on my campus (they all include Office suites) ... and, for me at least, a legal full-license copy was dirt cheap. But, if I had to pay full retail price for the suite, I would probably just go with Word and find some other, cheaper programs for spreadsheets and such.And I never, EVER use PowerPoint, so it's not important to me. (I hate that program. I hate computerized slide shows in general, but Power Point must be blamed because it has turned an entire generation of boring people into boring people who can easily share waaay too many details about things nobody cares about. Stupid Power Point for encouraging vacation photos and twenty-slide presentations about toilet paper.)

I hate that program. I hate computerized slide shows in general, but Power Point must be blamed because it has turned an entire generation of boring people into boring people who can easily share waaay too many details about things nobody cares about.

Right on! Half of the lecturers in my College use Powerpoint and it's so hard to stay awake in such classes. I wish they would do it the old fashioned way ... writing on the board with chalk ;). We even have to study for our exams from the same slides ;).

MS Office is vastly superior to any other suite, however, for general home use I think open office is more than adaquate.MS Office is much more business aligned, being so powerful it is ideal for business, but here at home I use open office.

I swapped fully to OpenOffice during spring of 2005. Yet, not until last month did I switched all documents to the new Open Document Text format. *This forced my classmates to get OpenOffice in order to read the notes that I typed, evil scheme, eh?*xboxrulz