xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
crs_cwiz1405241504

Nuclear Fusion Reactor

A recent article came in the paper that france had been selected to play host to the world's first nuclear fusion reactor. I was very glad that such a big and important step was finally taken, but was also a bit surprised. as per my knowledge, to initiate a fusion reaction, one needs a very high temperature and no vessel hithertohas been created that can withstand such a high temperature. so, if the plans have been made, i guess the technical difficulties must have been solved. but does anyone know how?

I'm not 100% sure on these, but as far as I know nuclear fusion puts out little to no pollutants as far as greenhouse gasses and whatnot are concerned, the materials it uses in the process are readily available, and the radioactive waste it makes has a fast rate of radioactive decline. So basically its a clean source of alot of power with a good source of fuel... meaning it'd be a great choice to replace current energy systems.Also, in case anyone is worried about the whole meltdown concept still, that basically can't happen. They have so many layers of protection that if the slightest thing goes wrong they basically shut down the entire thing automatically THEN worry about finding the problem, and the level of redundency in their checks is insane.

Well the basic advantage of a fusion reactor is that it gives enormous amount of energy. For example, 1 gm of hydrogen gives enery equivalent to burning tonnes of coal. NOW that's power. And, yes, the pollution is also less. The best example - the sun. Imagine having a mini sun right on earth!!!